Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Depression/Anxiety and Buddhism

edited December 2007 in Buddhism Basics
Hi there, I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and depression and have done on and off for few years. I was wondering if buddhism and meditation might help to calm my mind and help me overcome this crippling condition. I have read a couple of books on buddhism and I love the idea, i've also been to a buddhist meditation session about a year ago with my mum but she hated it so I haven't been back since. I'd really love to go again but as I suffer with panic attacks i'm scared of going alone in case I have an attack. Has anyone else been in the same situation and found it works for their troubled mind? Many thanks.

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Hi there, I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and depression and have done on and off for few years. I was wondering if buddhism and meditation might help to calm my mind and help me overcome this crippling condition. I have read a couple of books on buddhism and I love the idea, i've also been to a buddhist meditation session about a year ago with my mum but she hated it so I haven't been back since. I'd really love to go again but as I suffer with panic attacks i'm scared of going alone in case I have an attack. Has anyone else been in the same situation and found it works for their troubled mind? Many thanks.

Hi MC,
    Just out of interest, the group you visited - which tradition was it?
    Regards
    Kris
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2007
    Hi Miss Champers.

So, what are the panic attacks from? Just being with a group of strangers? A little shy? Or are we talking a full blown "panic attack"?

You know, a lot of people meditate all by them lil ole selves. Lots of people on this forum do because they're not near a place that could act (geographically speaking) as their "sangha".

I would suggest that you start at home. There are lots of good threads here that discuss different types of meditation. You should check them out and try them. The most basic is just "breathing meditation". Easy in the sense that you just have to sit there and concentrate/meditate on your breathing. But, it's harder than it sounds.

But, I would suggest that you try this if you want to start meditating. Becoming "mindful" of what you're doing and what is going on around you is stressed quite a bit in Buddhist principals. I would also suggest that you should maybe look at how you are, what you are doing and just experiencing one of your panic attacks. Don't try to get rid of it - just experience it for what it is. Try to take a moment and see what it is that is making you have an attack.

Like when some people say, "Well, I just get so angry I can't help myself!!!!"

Well, still, at some level, there is something that made you angry. Can you recognize it for what it was? Maybe why it affected you?

Possibly just work with yourself, your intelligence and some meditation to see why you're getting these attacks.

Now, I should say that I'm not a therapist. I'm not providing you with any medical diagnosis. I'm a programmer for Christ's sake! I'm just suggesting something I've tried on a couple of occassions when something was bothering me.

Anyway, welcome to the boards. :D

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2007
    Good advice, as usual, from our favorite lime-headed cat.

There is a saying that you have to start where you're at. Right now you're suffering from depression and anxiety, so you start there. I think the first step for you is to just accept yourself as you are and not as how you wish you were or how other people might wish you were. Sit with that for a while and just relax into yourself.

At some point, however, you're going to have to take responsibility for your life and understand that you are the captain of your ship, so to speak. That is really important for anyone on the path, I think. Until you get to that point, you are just the victim of whatever is ruling your life at the moment. Please understand that in Buddhism there are no victims. You are the creator of whatever happens to you, which is very empowering if you think about it.

Just a little advice from an old desert dog who doesn't know anything.

Palzang
  • edited November 2007
    Miss C,

I also have anxiety and depression and I practice buddhism (usually I practice the anxiety and depression a lot better than the buddhism!). Now, the only one who can decide what you need to do is yourself, but I think seeking some professional assistance in addition to meditation would be a really good idea. Meditation can bring up some feelings that are really difficult to face, which can feel crippling when combined with depression/anxiety. Having a counselor to talk to about these moments or possibly a teacher who understands these issues may provide the extra support you need to examine what happens at breaking point and how to "sit with it."

I hope that's remotely helpful, bad grammar and all. ;-)
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2007
    Miss C, have you tried Yoga?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Hi, Miss Champers. Welcome to the board!

I, too, have a panic disorder and I also practice meditation and I would recommend meditation to anyone who's interested because it's an important practice. If you can't find a teacher then teach yourself and if any deep rooted psychological issues arise, leave them aside for the moment and bring them to your doctor or a counselor or any professional trained in anxiety disorders.

Treating anxiety, especially full blown panic disorder, is very difficult to do alone and really requires help and guidance from a professional. As you probably already know, these disorders are best managed with a combination of cognitive behavioral therapy and medication. I, at the urging of my medical doctor (to whom I also go for counseling), added meditation to this combination treatment. I needed the medical approach first in order to gain enough control over my mind to be able to meditate effectively. So far, so good.

Good luck and let us know how you are from time to time.