Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yet Another New Student

edited December 2007 in Buddhism Basics
Hello All. I have always been interested in Buddhism but recently needed to find out more. I've just read a great book by Steve Hagan, called 'Buddhism plain and simple'. It's been a huge help in furthering my understanding of the basic principles. The Buddhist 'path seems to fit my feelings about life and the universe. I hope I'll glean a lot more knowledge from this lovely forum. Thanks to all in advance!

Comments

• edited November 2007
    Welcome Jude. I've never read the book you quote but it sounds as if it has inspired you, which is good. I think there are as many opinions on topics as there are Buddhists with them, so keep on following your feelings - the inner guru. Only he can get you there in the end.

Kris
  • edited November 2007
    I'm familiar with Hagen's books. I have a few myself including the one you mentioned. Good intro to Buddhism.
  • edited November 2007
    The "Compass Of Zen" by Seung Sahn is a good book .. "Osho on Zen" is a fun down to earth book .. a fast easy read ... and many of the books by the Dalai Lama are interesting .. including "The Universe In A Single Atom" .. a comparision of scientific and buddhist ideas.

By all means check out the Dalai lama's youtube on "The Four Noble Truths" .. it is well done .. detailed and absolutely FREE.

Cheers ...
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2007
    Interesting choice of words - that you needed to find out more.

Welcome! This is a good forum - feel free to ask questions and you'll find people here are very helpful.

::
  • edited December 2007
    Hello all who kindly welcomed me. Sorry it took a while to reply but I've been away. Thanks OneSon Temple for your recommendations - I've checked them out and will be reading more.
    Best Wishes
    Jude
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Hi, Jude. Welcome to the board! It's lovely to meet you.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2007
    srivijaya wrote: »
    .....so keep on following your feelings - the inner guru. Only he can get you there in the end.

Kris

Or 'she'... even.... ;):D