Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buddhism religion

edited December 2007 in Buddhism Basics
I know some stuff about buddhism but i know nothing about the religious side can you guys help me out?

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    You're getting into semantics now. What constitutes "religious"? I think Buddhism in its essence doesn't make the differentiation. It's all just practice. Yes, Zen practice looks different than Tibetan Buddhist practice looks different than Theravada practice looks different than Chinese Mahayana practice looks different than... But they're just different paths up the same mountain, so to speak. For instance, I'm a Tibetan Buddhist (Vajrayana) practice, which my teacher calls the "high church" of Buddhism because of all the elaborate rituals and so forth, bells, cymbals, horns, bright colors, exotic mantras - all very exciting and entertaining, I guess, but that's not really the practice. The practice in all forms of Buddhism is basically the same - to change, to abandon ego-clinging, to experience one's own true nature. All the rest is just bells and whistles.

Palzang
  • edited December 2007
    Ok..so can I know about this "practice"
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Chuckness, how about you tell us what you know about it so far?

::
  • edited December 2007
    Honstly pretty much nothing....only about the life of Shakyamuni Buddha
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Lots to read about there!

I'm sure you'll get lots of references from people here....we should start a reference section...hmmm

Anyway, start with the 4 Truths and the 8-Fold Path. That would consititue the "core" teachings, but the dharma is vast.

::
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2007
    Chuckness,

I find it difficult to give someone a single resource in which to get a quick overview of the Buddha's teachings while still managing to convey the depth and profundity of them as well. Nevertheless, we all must start somewhere. Concerning online resources, I would advise Access to Insight (especially their section for suggested entry points to their site entitled Beginnings), Anguttara Nikaya: The Discourse Collection in Numerical Order Part III: Books Eight to Eleven, Samyutta Nikaya: An Anthology Part I, Samyutta Nikaya: An Anthology Part II, Samyutta Nikaya: An Anthology Part III, and Wings to Awakening. Concerning books, I would advise Bhikkhu Bodhi's In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon, Rupert Gethin's The Foundations of Buddhism, Richard Gombrich's How Buddhism Began: The Conditioned Genesis of the Early Teachings, Walpola Rahula's What the Buddha Taught, A.K. Warder's Indian Buddhism, and the co-authored Buddhist Religions: A Historical Introduction. I hope that you these suggestions helpful.

Best wishes,

Jason
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2007
    Chuckness,

I just noticed that in another thread you say that you are only fourteen. In light of this, I would say not to worry about learning too much about any religion or philosophy. At this stage in life, I think that the best advice is to simply treat others as you wish to be treated, and live a wholesome yet happy life. Youth, if at all possible, should be spent enjoying life to the fullest, not worrying about religious doctrines or spiritual practices. If there is anything that I would suggest to you at this point is the bare minimum of Buddhist practice, sort of speaking, which is the observation of the five precepts, i.e., (i) to refrain from destroying living creatures, (ii) to refrain from taking that which is not given, (iii) to refrain from sexual misconduct, (iv) to refrain from incorrect speech, and (v) to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness. That is my humble opinion at any rate.

Best wishes,

Jason
  • edited December 2007
    Chuckness wrote: »
    Ok..so can I know about this "practice"

I can only think of one practice, compassion to all living things. It's the basis of Buddhism. If you can feel sadness for a complete stranger that is suffering, and wish with all your heart that you could take away that suffering; then that is Buddhist practice.
  • edited December 2007
    Terry wrote: »
    I can only think of one practice, compassion to all living things. It's the basis of Buddhism. If you can feel sadness for a complete stranger that is suffering, and wish with all your heart that you could take away that suffering; then that is Buddhist practice.

Coming from my Christain upbringing...that reminds me of one of the more uplifting passages from the Bible (and one I don't hear of very often)
    If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. James 1:26-27 NKJV
  • edited December 2007
    I also had a Christian upbringing, there is truth to be found in all religions as long as that truth begins with Compassion to all living things.