Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Deep appreciation

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited December 2007 in Sanghas
So, I've been spending some time on another Buddhist board called BuddhaChat. It's a "lively" board, to put it nicely. I don't want to rag on it or anything but I must say that almost every thread on it usually deteriorates into some petty argument about semantics or some other off topic thing and it can get quite nasty more often than not. There are a lot of people and most of them are wonderful and so helpful and I've learned a lot from them. But there are a few who cause havoc and division and unfortunately they post the most messages and it's impossible to avoid them. They're everywhere.

When I came here today I had the most wonderful feeling. I realized as I was typing a response to a thread here that I felt completely at home and had great love and a deep appreciation for all of my sangha siblings here. It was a rush of gratitude for you all and this site in general. To think of all the love and support I've received here, not to mention everything you've all taught me, is almost overwhelming.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. And especially to Brian for creating and keeping this site going through thick and thin. Thank you, Brian! I don't know where I'd be without NewBuddhist.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited December 2007
    That means a lot to me, Brigid.. Thank you very much for the kind words :)
  • edited December 2007
    Brigid wrote: »
    I don't want to rag on it or anything but I must say that almost every thread on it usually deteriorates into some petty argument about semantics or some other off topic thing and it can get quite nasty more often than not.

But you did and you will do it again, whenever some site, or some person or group of people fall short and fail to meet your "Happy Happy Joy Joy" expectations of what Buddhism and Buddhists should be. Funny, some people calling themselves Buddhists would take these as challenges and learning experiences and wouldn't leap to judging other human beings as harsh, sarcastic, mentally inflexible or bullies.

But that is you, and you are just another human being suffering through life so I just can't say much about what you or any other does or thinks and I could say that "I'm sick to death of it". But you are you and we are not.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2007
    Zopa, at the risk of jumping in where I'm not needed, believe me, Brigid has had an adquately eventful taste of life to be able to distinguish between the 'Happy Happy Joy Joy' brigade of so-called Buddhists, and those who discuss, argue, debate and talk in respectful, mindful, considerate and courteous ways.
    We have had many past problems on this board with members who have been both unnecessarily forceful and careless with their words. Some have blatantly sought to sow discord, disharmony and dissent. Others have 'flamed' or trolled and have contrived to 'spread the Dharma' but have been guilty of fabrication and invention. All have been dealt with in a calm, patient and compassionate way, but ultimately, they have been shown the door, as a matter of general concensus and opinion, not as a disciminating prejudicial result of an angry Moderator's decision.
    Believe me, nobody falls short of Brigid's expectations. She has always tried to greet and treat any person she encounters with equal doses of Kindness, Compassion and Generosity. But if anyone here has fallen below her expectations, trust me - they did so with others, too.
    Brigid is not a person to shy away from a challenge. If you knew her as well as some others do on this board, you would marvel at the challenges she has faced, the obstacles she has tackled, and the sheer mountains she has conquered.
    Nobody can say that their personal lot in life is better or worse than anyone else's. We all have our own Karma to deal with. But to dismiss Brigid's view as judgement is a hasty, and equally judgemental view. She is one of the least critical, judgemental and biased people I know.
    If she says she has encountered such hostility elsewhere, you can bet your bottom-dollar she has every justification for seeing it as such.
  • edited December 2007
    So it is written, so let it be done!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Hi, Zopa. I wonder what name you go by at BuddhaChat.

Anyway, you've missed my point entirely. The only reason I have a safe place to go online and talk to other Buddhists in respectful and compassionate ways is because of the moderating on this site. It's all down to Fede, Brian and the other wise, compassionate and strong moderators here and I was simply expressing my gratitude to them and all the other dhamma sisters and brothers who make this their home and treat it with the same respect they'd treat anyone's home. But it seems you just want a fight.

Well then, I care about you and want you to have happiness and the cessation of suffering. Fight that.

Fede,

Words cannot express....

Thank you.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2007
    I just wanna say that just to see the picture below makes me kinda high. I just know I'm always gonna feel better after reading what Brigid has to say, and am going to be transported somewhere different if the post is long.

Thanks, Brigid!

Please don't ever change anything in your demeanor. I know you're no stranger to being misunderstood. Deep people like you are used to that.

Fondly,

Nirvy
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Aw, Nirvy! Bless your sweet heart. All my love right back atcha!
  • edited December 2007
    When first reading this thread I was smiling and agreeing with Boo on how great it is to come here. How supportive everyone has been for me during the last 8 months even when I hadn't been here for long periods of time. If I came on and asked questions, cried or complained or just needed to type and get my feelings out ........Someone would post and make me feel so much better. I knew they were here for me if I needed them.
    But then I read Zopa's post and instantly felt shempa......I started thinking of all the things I was going to say but Fede did that for me.........Well said Fede

I just find it interesting that the things you accused Brigid of, are they not what you just did to her?

"Judging other human beings as harsh, sarcastic, mentally inflexible or bullies."

It is obvious that you don't know who you are talking to. Brigid is the most kind, loving, supportive and compassionate person I have ever met........You are seriously picking on the wrong person. People who come here are part of a big family.....Family supports one another and stands up for each other......Brigid is loved and cherished here and I for one will not stand for you saying harsh things to her........As I know no one else will.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Oh, darling Deb... I'm the luckiest person on earth to have a friend like you.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2007
    Gratitude - True, heartfelt Gratitude - for the blessings, seen and unseen, great and small, obvious and subtle, is a sentiment lacking in our hearts and society in general.

I'm currently fixed to do a Canine Communications course (Dog Whisperer, UK-style!) and one of the first things we're taught is that Dog will always respond to Loving Kindness and gentle coaxing, but they have a 'what's in it for me?' mentality. You're looking for co-operation, not submission....
    It's the same with humans though.... everything nowadays seems to be fuelled or propelled by the selfish notion that 'unless there's something to be had in this, I'm not getting into it....'

So my gratitude to Brian, to Boo, to Deb and to everyone upon this forum who makes it what it is, is both selfless and undemanding. I am grateful to you all, from the bottom of my heart, for making this place what it is. Plain and simple.
  • edited December 2007
    I just find it interesting that the things you accused Brigid of, are they not what you just did to her?

"Judging other human beings as harsh, sarcastic, mentally inflexible or bullies."

I merely pointed out her hypocrisy and didn't claim to be better or purer then her. One becomes a hypocrite when you start off saying you don't want to do something and then proceed to do that which you stated you don't want to do. I never said I wasn't going to do anything, I pointed out her hypocrisy. You can ignore that and go on in happy, blissful ignorance; that is your call to make.

It is obvious that you don't know who you are talking to True, and neither do you or any of the rest of us. You just think you know who you are and have faith in your conceptualization of what everyone else is or isn't. You can seek truth or remain mired in your desire fulfilling illusionary life.
    edited December 2007
    * Ok, well, I don't know what's happening on BuddhaChat, or whether there are moderators there controlling and managing posts and fora...but there are here... so I think enough is enough now, please. Especially as this was not the original intention of this thread. *
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2007
    I think that Zopa does have a point that truly understanding the Dharma gives one thick skin, and that negativity shouldn't really cause too much mental disturbance. Adversity and dissonance can be one of our greatest opportunities for practice. Certainly, we shouldn't cling to our one set of conditions over another. Nonetheless, if you can't appreciate a place full of right speech and respectful attitudes, that is a sad thing. At least that's my opinion.

metta
    _/\_

P.S.-I would like to add that I don't really see anything Brigid said as hypocrisy. That seems like a stretch to me of what might have been a valid point or two on Zopa's part.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2007
    federica wrote: »
    * Ok, well, I don't know what's happening on BuddhaChat, or whether there are moderators there controlling and managing posts and fora...but there are here... so I think enough is enough now, please. Especially as this was not the original intention of this thread. *

There is no doubt that there are 'Buddhist' discussion boards where the moderation permits more extreme language, ad personam attacks and charges of 'heresy' akin to soi-disants 'Christian' or political boards. Even here, at New Buddhist, we have seen a fair amount of criticism of E-sangha's moderation. It should be stressed that such criticism does not imply any similar objections to the moderators here.

The appreciation that so many express for this site is important because it results in a mindset of gratefulness.

Of all the mental constructs, the one that I have found most skillful must be gratitude. When I am grateful, I am calm and balanced. I can make choices with equanimity and a smile.

When I was a small child, I would go and stay with my gentle, formidable, Methodist grandmother and, every night, we would say our prayers together, just as we would sing, at meals, “Thank you for the food we eat…” Our night prayers consisted of remembering people by name and then ‘counting our blessings’. At meals and at night, her focus was on gratitude and I think it rubbed off on me - despite my father’s vehement opposition to her “God bothering”.

The Greek word for gratitude is eucharistia which gave the Christian churches their name for the service which commemorates the Lord's Supper. It is the word that Saint John uses to describe Jesus saying the brocha or 'grace'. At the very heart of Christian ritual is a service of gratitude.

As Buddhists, we have an unfortuate tendency to ignore gratitude as askilful attitude. Or even if we are not ignoring it, we are often accused by non-Buddhists as focusing on the unsatisfactory nature of samasara. Perhaps it is because the First Noble Truth, which is, after all, where we all start, is about unsatisfactoriness. A grateful mindset needs us to recognise what Roget's Thesaurus calls a "lively sense of favours to come". But there is much to be grateful for in the whole statement of the Truths. We misrepresent the hopeful message of the Dharma if we ignore the triumphant proclamation of the Third Truth, the truth of liberation. What, indeed, would be the point of taking refuge in a dharma that offered only trouble, sickness, old age and death?

The power and value of New Buddhist comes not from the cleverness or, even, the scholarship of the members but from the fact that we are (generally) prepared to say to each other, "Perhaps you have a good point there." It is the only way in which we learn and I have learned and learned and go on learning from my interaction with people here.

Beyond that, there are some very special people (yes, YOU, you know who you are) whom I can really call friends and it is, at the end of my life, for friendship above all that I give thanks.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    So here I am, feeling SO angry (how many times can he use the word "hypocrisy" in one post??!!??) and I either want to throw an absolute raging fit and shout "How DARE he call me a hypocrite!!!" or run away from this horrible anger that's tying my guts up in knots, flooding my system with adrenaline and heaven knows what else. Either fight...or flight. Anything to get rid of these extremely unpleasant feelings and go back to feeling "good". I'm ready to scratch and claw my way out of feeling this, anything to get away from it.

So I start rationalizing, trying to lessen my anger, get to the root of it and it finally dawns on me; why don't you take the advice from Ajahn Sumedho that you recently offered another poster on this board and just sit here and endure the anger instead of trying to annihilate it or run away from it? Sounds pretty straight forward, right? So I sat here and let myself seethe and stew and squirm in my own little hell realm feeling like I wanted to crawl out of my skin but I stayed with it. It was awful. I started to get heartburn and everything!

I kept telling myself nothing bad was actually happening to me. It was just anger. "My very old friend, my dear old friend that I know so well. All bluff and bluster. My silly, dear old friend Anger. Nice to see you again, Anger. How's tricks?" And then, after a little while, it just went away. And I started laughing my head off. It worked! It actually worked! I couldn't believe it! I'm going to force myself to do this with all the unpleasant feelings I experience from now on. I doubt it will work as easily as it did tonight, beginner's luck and all that. But at least I know I can endure it and nothing bad happened. That's got to be worth something, right?

So anyway, I guess I can thank you now, Zopa, without choking on it or anything. You provided me with the opportunity so I'm grateful for it. That sounds "holier than thou", I know. But so what? It's still true. So thanks, Zopa, for being such an ass. (Kidding!)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Beautiful post, Simon. It gives me a lot to think about, as usual. And I never knew that the Greek word for gratitude is eucharistia! I can't wait to spring that one on my father. And what better day to do that than on Christmas Eve, he being a Catholic and all. Thanks, dearest Simon. And a very happy Christmas to you!
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2007
    funny how mental states are all impermanent and unsatisfactory, eh? ;)

metta
    _/\_
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Yup! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    ...and another thing for which to be grateful. The impermanence part, I mean.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2007
    We are rockers! :bigclap: Nude Buddhists rock! :p
    edited December 2007
    I am grateful, too, for the privilege of being able to communicate with all you wonderful New Buddhists. But I am especially grateful for people like Brigid, who are always aboveboard and diligent. Thanks!

One thing I especially like about this board is that one can usually write about matters that have touched in some way upon his or her heart, without being taken to task for holding such a "politically incorrect" idea for more than a few seconds. I remember how bad I was made to feel some months back over some thoughts I happened to share concerning Barack Obama. Golly, I don't know how the politicians themselves escape being lynched or crucified.

Well, anyway, I am very happy that most of the time we neither take ourselves or each other too seriously. Nonetheless, it can be unpleasant being taken to task for some idea or emotion that's really not that important anyway.

However, I am so very happy that we are not an in-your-face group of people.

Thanks, kind Pilgrim, for your always constructive and elucidating posts. And thanks, dear Brigid, for hanging out with all us grumps. You do it for us, I know.
  • edited December 2007
    Ditto on the original sentiment. Thanks all for letting me come here to rest, recuperate and reflect.
    edited December 2007
    Two years ago today I first signed up on NewBuddhist. (Hey, that's better than a birthday!) The board was much busier back then, but I've learned so much that I'm sticking with it through the very thin times, too.

Thanks, everybody, for putting up with me and helping me learn my way around a bit more.

Special thanks to Simon the Pilgrim, Federica, Brian, Brigid, Palzang, Xrayman, Elohim, Knight of Buddha, Buddhafoot, and everyone else who chirps in from time to time. Believe me, you all wax eloquent more than you know.

I hope the next couple years are as good as these have been.

Gratefully,

Nirvy