Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

water offering

edited December 2007 in Buddhism Basics
Hi,

I'm relatively new to Buddhist. I'm practicing Soto Zen.

Can anyone explain to me why a candle, flowers, incense and water are offered on a home altar?

I understand that when we bow to the Buddha image, we are actually bowing to the Buddha within ourselves. So, I assume we're not offering these items TO Siddharta Gautama as if he were a god, since he's not.

Do the items have a symbolic meaning that we're supposed to remember when offering them? How does one actually make the offering, ie. do we make bows before or after, is there a verse to be said at the time off the offering, etc.? I understand that sometimes food is also put on the altar. What is the purpose? I understand that the offerings differ among the different schools.

I'd appreciate any help ya'll can offer!

Chris

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    It's very similar to what we Tibetan Buddhists offer on our altars. We offer water for bathing, water for drinking, incense, flowers, light, scents, food, and music. These are the traditional offerings given to someone visiting one's home as a sign of hospitality, so what we are doing is making an offering of hospitality to the Buddha, who, as you said, is none other than our own true nature.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Hi, Chris. Welcome to NewBudhist. It's nice to meet you!

Lovely post, Palzang.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Palzang wrote: »
    ...These are the traditional offerings given to someone visiting one's home as a sign of hospitality...

I like that - inviting Buddha into your home as a guest.

::
  • edited December 2007
    Thanks Palzang for the post. It's clear to me now. And thanks Brigid for the welcome. It's good to be here.

I have been searching the Web to find out HOW to offer the water, candle and incense, but haven't had luck finding such instructions. I don't know if I should do gassho before or after, or what kind of verse to say. Basically I know zip!

So, if anyone has any idea how to go about it, please do let me know!

Peace to all!
    Chris
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Also welcome, Chris. As you can see, I have yet to perfect the art of hospitality, unlike Brigid!

We use a little offering prayer, and no doubt there is a Zen one as well, but I think just a gassho before you offer the water is quite enough. You just do the best you can. The rest will come when it comes. The act of offering to the Buddha is itself extremely meritorious, so whether or not you mumble a prayer with it seems a bit irrelevant. It's the thought that counts!

Palzang
  • edited December 2007
    Yes, Palzang, I think you're right. It is the thought that counts, and certainly is most important. I must remember to "keep it simple"!

Thank you!
    Chris
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Branain wrote: »
    Yes, Palzang, I think you're right. It is the thought that counts, and certainly is most important. I must remember to "keep it simple"!

Thank you!
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Over the years, having learned and practised lots of ritual and "rite words in rote order", private devotions have become far more flexible and variable than public or group practice.

What I have come to do is that I start by cleaning and tidying the place where I shall practise. Incense ash, untrimmed candle-wicks, faded flowers, whatever I put there last time I was there - it all needs preparation. I bow to the space and then prepare it, just as I would tidy up for a dear friend's visit. Each action gently focuses my mind on the job in hand, increases mindfulness.

I'm lucky because I am classed as ill and not employed so that I have plenty of time to prepare but when I travel, with a small folding 'altar', preparation can be quite short. It doesn't really matter: it fixes my intention.

Then, when it comes to the devotions themselves, I simply allow whatever arises from the 'stock' that I have accumulated: bows, mudras, prostrations, ritual words, whatever. I no longer imagine that there is some sort of magical formula, a spell or incantation which has to be got 'right'.
  • edited December 2007
    Simon:

I see what you mean, and after Palzang's post, I've come to believe that things are much more flexible than I originally thought, as long as what I'm doing comes form the heart.

Right now I'm pretty much doing as you have written. And as preperation for meditation, I'm doing exactly what we do at our Zen sangha each week, that is: chant the Great Prajna Paramita Heart Sutra, then Enmei Jukku Kannon Gyo, and after meditation either the verse of the Kesa (after dawn zazen) or the Four Vows (after evening zazen). I think in the future I would like to get a decent bell and mokugyo to enhance the practice.

The above is working well, I think, and in line with Zen practice.

Chris
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2007
    A belated welcome, Branain, and many good wishes to you for yourself and your good practise....

(I'm sorry...is it just me, or does anyone else see 'Bran-Rain.'....?):crazy:

It's nice to meet you! Lovely thread.

Great to have you aboard, with us!
  • edited December 2007
    Frederica,

Thanks for the welcome!

Gee, I never saw it as Bran-Rain, but now that you mention it . . . !

Happy Holidays to all!

Chris