Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

DC area

edited January 2008 in Buddhism Today
I was wondering if there was any place in the Washington, DC area for a new Buddhist to learn. I am extremely interested in the Tibetan ways, but I just want to learn.

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Hi Woody!

Just getting back in business after the holiday hiatus. Yes, there are a number of venues for Vajrayana study in the DC area, not least of which is my home temple, Kunzang Palyul Choling, which lies along the Potomac River along River Road near Poolesville. Go on a Sunday and plan to spend the day. I think you'll enjoy it. At least lunch. We have a wonderful Indian fellow who is the best cook! Yum! And we have bunches of beautiful stupas all over the place, mostly on our 65 acres across the street. Also a really nice gift store. And lots of friendly people.

There are others as well. There's a Shambhala Center in Silver Spring (on Viers Mill, I think, but not sure, look on www.shambhala.org if you're interested) and a couple of small places in Nova (Northern Virginia). Not too familiar with them.

Palzang
  • edited January 2008
    Palzang, thank you so much! It's been difficult finding anything down here in Georgia, but the Army decided to move me to DC. I shall check this out very soon! I'm looking forward to it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Where are you going to be stationed? Ft. Meyers? Pentagon?

Palzang
  • edited January 2008
    Right now I'll be at Walter Reed. Not sure whether I'll be staying there or if they'll put me in one of the other clinics. From what I've heard they can send me to Fort Meade, Walter Reed Annex, The Pentagon or the White House. They may even leave me there at the main hospital. I should find out when I get there on Wednesday.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I forgot, you're in the medical end of the Army. I think I saw you on e-sangha before, right? Anyway, of those listed, the only one that would be a real hike to our temple would be Ft. Meade as it's on the other side of town. They're all reachable though. You just go out River Road from the Beltway until you get to the temple. It's a pretty drive most of the year.

Palzang