Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My story, and questions for Buddhists

edited January 2008 in Faith & Religion
To be honest, I am at my life right now caught between a rock and a hard spot.

Perhaps a little introduction to who I am would do:

I was born into a Christian family; my mother was Protestant and my father Catholic. If you're not aware of the difference between the two, it's not all that relevant. My father eventually converted to Protestantism, and my parents became very fundamentalist, conservative Christians when I was 6 or 7. I was raised with a lot of knowledge of the Bible and Christian doctrines; I was well esteemed during my period with Christianity as a good Christian. However, I eventually had a falling out with the faith, because it no longer made sense to me.

This happened after I was introduced to Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, and in general, Transcendentalism. If you're not familiar with the philosophy, it was the brain child of Emerson. Emerson, like me, was a Christian; he was a pastor for a church until he read some newly translated Buddhist and Hindu texts. The message clicked with him and he started philosophy/religion called Transcendentalism. It was based around self-awareness, non-violence, equality, and ethical actions.

I loved the essays that all the Transcendentalists put forth; they were beautiful, insightful, and because they taught me to be self-aware, I lost my faith in Christianity. It didn't make sense; it was about a God who was violent and angry, and yet became suddenly noble. But mainly, I must admit, I just didn't like the affect it had on it's the people around me. The people around me ceased to act in a righteous manner; they cared more about what others thought and less about what they thought of themselves. I realized that I, too, was doing nothing more than playing the game of "Who'll be the better Christian" and in doing so, I lost the whole point of the experience I was supposed to have.

So, I thought about becoming Transcendentalist, but there's no real set of precepts, codes, or detailed texts that one can work off of. So I became an atheist, and I lack the belief in any god, set of gods, or goddesses. I have firmly entrenched myself with reasons to remain skeptical of any faith or religion. But on the other hand, the lessons Transcendentalism have given me are invaluable, and shall remain with me forever.

But Buddhism, as well as Hinduism and Jainism, has similar beliefs. It focuses on personal ethics, sincere actions, and has a great potential to inspire me.

I don't know if I will become a believer of the Dharma Buddha, but I would like to know if there are any texts or anything else that you might think I would find inspiring. So, mind passing along some wisdom? And also, do you think that there is anyway I might become a Buddhist in the future?

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Hi, GoldRishi. Welcome to the board. It's lovely to meet you!

Here's a site that you might find useful:

Access to Insight

It's just one of many, but I've found it an invaluable resource in my studies.

In Christianity there is one book but in Buddhism there is a massive amount of writings concerning the teachings of the Buddha. I like to stick as close as possible to what the Buddha himself actually taught so I rely mostly on the Pali Canon. But there are many, many more resources one can find that will be useful in learning about Buddhism. It just takes some researching.

As to your last question, I couldn't tell you. That is something only you could know. There are no particular traits that define someone who may end up following the Buddha's Path. But that isn't important right now. What is important is learning as much as you can about the Buddha's teachings, putting them into practice in your everyday life, and testing for yourself if they work to your full satisfaction or not. When you gain some understanding and experience in Buddhism you will be better able to make the decision about whether to become a Buddhist or not.

Happy studies!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Welcome, GoldRishi,

If you are looking for a book to read which will gently introduce some of the basics of Buddhism in language which can resonate with someone who has genuinely studied the gospel message of suffering humanity, love for neighbour and liberation, I would recommend Thich Nhat Hanh's The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching.

One of the difficulties that many people have found when coming to modern Buddhism from contemporary fundamentalist Christianity is that the language used is very different and the mind-set is more that of Thomas Didymus than of credulity.

The link that Brigid provides is a vital resource for those of us who use the Net as a source of texts. Buddhism, as Brigid would stress, is much more than a study of texts, however venerable, just like authentic Christianity. And, just like authentic Christianity, it demands that we practise more than we preach.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2008
    GoldRishi, welcome to you...
    I cannot add much more than the two wise and wonderful people 'above' me have said.
    Just read, read, ask, ask, read, ask, research, ask again...
    Never ever stop asking.

I am a Moderator on this forum
    My job here is one of constant inactive redundancy.
    It's a great site....! :thumbsup:

There are of course, many others, all with their own 'temperament', flavour and membership...
    some will sit comfortably with you, and you will find suit you.
    Others perhaps will be more challenging and - "difficult" .....
    But all with one thing in common.
    Ask.

The answers you get may well help you take your One Step at a Time.

Fall in, and walk with us.

welcome, again.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2008
    GoldRishi wrote: »

I loved the essays that all the Transcendentalists put forth; they were beautiful, insightful, and because they taught me to be self-aware, I lost my faith in Christianity. It didn't make sense; it was about a God who was violent and angry, and yet became suddenly noble. But mainly, I must admit, I just didn't like the affect it had on it's the people around me...

I realized that I, too, was doing nothing more than playing the game of "Who'll be the better Christian" and in doing so, I lost the whole point of the experience I was supposed to have...

I have firmly entrenched myself with reasons to remain skeptical of any faith or religion. But on the other hand, the lessons Transcendentalism have given me are invaluable, and shall remain with me forever.

Greetings, GoldRishi!
    Your story sounds very familiar to me, in part.

"Not for me, not for me," this religion people want me to follow. Empty, barren, promoting things unessential and not very spiritual. But then, I've also found "magical" enclaves within these traditions.

As Keats wrote in his Ode on a Grecian Urn, "Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty," I feel if it doesn't move you it's not right for you. In intellectual and spiritual matters, as with many other things, one size just doesn't fit all. Follow your own bliss. The Truth, like a Great Magnet, will pull us. Only scoundrels need to be constantly pushed back onto the path.

In the Hindu tradition, they allow you several lifetimes to finish your journey, so there's no reason to feel rushed to make a choice. (If indeed one really has to.) Learning about (an)other faith tradition(s) helps you better understand the one from which you sprang, much like the study of another language helps you better understand grammatic patterns in your mother tongue.

It's good to have you visiting with us. I hope we get to know you better.

May the Force be with you!

Emerson and Thoreau are two of my favorites, too
  • edited January 2008
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Greetings, GoldRishi!
    Your story sounds very familiar to me, in part.

"Not for me, not for me," this religion people want me to follow. Empty, barren, promoting things unessential and not very spiritual. But then, I've also found "magical" enclaves within these traditions.

As Keats wrote in his Ode on a Grecian Urn, "Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty," I feel if it doesn't move you it's not right for you. In intellectual and spiritual matters, as with many other things, one size just doesn't fit all. Follow your own bliss. The Truth, like a Great Magnet, will pull us. Only scoundrels need to be constantly pushed back onto the path.

In the Hindu tradition, they allow you several lifetimes to finish your journey, so there's no reason to feel rushed to make a choice. (If indeed one really has to.) Learning about (an)other faith tradition(s) helps you better understand the one from which you sprang, much like the study of another language helps you better understand grammatic patterns in your mother tongue.

It's good to have you visiting with us. I hope we get to know you better.

May the Force be with you!

Emerson and Thoreau are two of my favorites, too

Hmm.. I quite agree. Oh, before I forget: Just for your signature, asalamulaykum. (You may know this is salaam aleikum, if you do know it; apt phrase for life, no?)

Yes, it would be true that I would have gotten to know English better after having Spanish, if my mother hadn't insisted that I diagram a million and a half sentences in my youth.

I have studied all major recorded religions in some detail; truthfully, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, and Epicureanism are the only ones I find of repute. Though I haven't familiarized myself with Zoroastrianism as well as I would like. (Though I like Sikhism as well, but I feel it absorbed to much dogmatism/pointless ritual from Islam).

Your profile says your from the South, no? You do any instant messaging?
    federica wrote: »
    GoldRishi, welcome to you...
    I cannot add much more than the two wise and wonderful people 'above' me have said.
    Just read, read, ask, ask, read, ask, research, ask again...
    Never ever stop asking.

I am a Moderator on this forum
    My job here is one of constant inactive redundancy.
    It's a great site....! :thumbsup:

There are of course, many others, all with their own 'temperament', flavour and membership...
    some will sit comfortably with you, and you will find suit you.
    Others perhaps will be more challenging and - "difficult" .....
    But all with one thing in common.
    Ask.

The answers you get may well help you take your One Step at a Time.

Fall in, and walk with us.

welcome, again.

Thank you.
    Welcome, GoldRishi,

If you are looking for a book to read which will gently introduce some of the basics of Buddhism in language which can resonate with someone who has genuinely studied the gospel message of suffering humanity, love for neighbour and liberation, I would recommend Thich Nhat Hanh's The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching.

One of the difficulties that many people have found when coming to modern Buddhism from contemporary fundamentalist Christianity is that the language used is very different and the mind-set is more that of Thomas Didymus than of credulity.

The link that Brigid provides is a vital resource for those of us who use the Net as a source of texts. Buddhism, as Brigid would stress, is much more than a study of texts, however venerable, just like authentic Christianity. And, just like authentic Christianity, it demands that we practise more than we preach.

I shall check them out, I think you for the reference.
    Brigid wrote: »
    Hi, GoldRishi. Welcome to the board. It's lovely to meet you!

Here's a site that you might find useful:

Access to Insight

It's just one of many, but I've found it an invaluable resource in my studies.

In Christianity there is one book but in Buddhism there is a massive amount of writings concerning the teachings of the Buddha. I like to stick as close as possible to what the Buddha himself actually taught so I rely mostly on the Pali Canon. But there are many, many more resources one can find that will be useful in learning about Buddhism. It just takes some researching.

As to your last question, I couldn't tell you. That is something only you could know. There are no particular traits that define someone who may end up following the Buddha's Path. But that isn't important right now. What is important is learning as much as you can about the Buddha's teachings, putting them into practice in your everyday life, and testing for yourself if they work to your full satisfaction or not. When you gain some understanding and experience in Buddhism you will be better able to make the decision about whether to become a Buddhist or not.

Happy studies!

Thank you for the links, I will look into them.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Have you tried meditation? It tends to clear a person's mind. When I started I it helped me at least. One of the things people forget about Christians is that God isn't the problem. The followers are. And yes they are a bunch of hipocrits and they are very hateful. I myself steer clear of all of the Abrahamic faiths.