Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nice to meet you all

edited February 2008 in Buddhism Basics
Hello all,
This is my first post and wanted to tell you all hello and introduce myself. I have been reading allot of the posts here and have found numerous threads extremely helpful on my spiritual journey with Buddhism. There are a couple of the members I have received great advice or answers from through posts to other people. I have decided to pursue the teaching of Buddhism and practice the wonderful peaceful way of life. With time I will officially become Buddhist and take refuge. Until then I am learning as much as I can. Luckily I live near a city that offers allot in the types of Buddhism practice. On Thursday the 10th I attended my first teaching at a Buddhist temple. It was a Tibetan temple and it was an amazing experience. I enjoyed the warm welcome experience. I already enjoyed the Tibetan style after reading information books in Buddhism and after hearing my wife’s response when she attended a public speech by his Holiness the Dali Lama this past summer. (Probable one of the 100 reasons I came to learn Buddhism.) I am looking forward in returning to the next teaching. I also plan on calling and setting up a meeting to speak to somebody about furthering my learning.
I must truly thank you all for the help you all gave me with one of the biggest dilemmas or question or concerns (however you want to say it) you all provided through prior posts. I grew up in a strong Christian family / community / career (past and present) and (what I used to think) world. By reading other peoples perspectives and own experiences this external problem, I found, was just that, external not internal, and not me. It’s funny how one can come to answers in life.
Both my wife and I truly believe in freedom and peace to everyone and everything. With this (to us) “simple” believe and or way of life, it amazes me how many people get mixed up in the “my way is right and is the only way” completely disregarding other peoples believe and too many times living things. Anyways I know I’m preaching to the choir in this subject.
My wife and I have a little one (Charlie) and another little one on the way. I feel it is extremely important for me to guide my children as they grow and while they experience life on there own by showing and teaching a peaceful way of life and with what I have found in Buddha’s path. With everything that currently is going on in this world and not being able to understand the “suffering” in life, once I read my first book in Buddhism it was like a rock it me upside the head. I started to say the typical thing “Why didn’t I find this earlier in life” but once I read more and more I realized, I knew it the entire time I was just forming myself to the things around me worrying if I fit in or better said with one word “ego”. Coming from a small town serving time in the military and now being a police officer “ego” was and is all around me and have learned was one of the key distractions in my life. As a police officer and having to deal with allot of negative energy around me, once I found the four noble truths, eightfold path and the five mindfulness trainings, things seem allot easer and more understandable.

Anyways, I’m long winded as you can read.
Hello everyone, I look forward in reading your future threads.

Peace to you all,

David

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Welcome David. It is good to meet you - and thank you for telling us about yourself.

You are certainly taking a hard road. It is tough enough to practise the Noble Eightfold Path as a civilian but the public servant such as the police officer confronts challenges every day of their lives in a very practical way. I say this because, for some 20 years, it was my privilege to be the counsellor for our local police service.

If we can be of support and service, you will give us the opportunity for new learning and skill.

Welcome!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2008
    Hello DP... Welcome to you, nice to meet you.
    I kinda police this board, but I never have anything to do... so any help is welcome!! :D

nice to meet you!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2008
    Welcome :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Yes, welcome, David. I grew up in Northern Illinois, Rockford actually, so I was almost a Wisconsiner! Feel free to ask anything. I agree with Simon that being a cop it really must be a challenge to try to practice equanimity, but I also think that is a good thing! It really keeps you on your toes and on the edge, which is a really good practice.

Palzang
  • edited January 2008
    Welcome. Glad you found your path...
  • edited January 2008
    Thank you all for the welcome. Also sorry I didn’t notice the introduction thread under lotus lounge, I would have started there. :banghead:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2008
    Well, as it's a first offence, and you seem to have a clean record, i'm not going to issue a ticket, but make sure next time, you follow the map, and don't let me have to stop you again! Oh, and by the way, you have an headlight broken....

Well.....come on, fer chrissakes!! You left yourself wide open to that one!! :lol:
  • edited January 2008
    Officer :scratch:, I didn’t see any sign telling me I had to follow a “map”, I’m positive I didn’t do anything wrong:bs:, I know a COP and I bet you they will say your wrong! :poke:

Officer’s response: Oh I’m sorry:rolleyesc, did I say warning:om:; I met to say, drivers license and vehicle registration please!:thumbsup:

Typical response back: :confused::grumble::sadc::banghead::wtf::mad::rant::mean::hrm: and last but not least :bawling:

edited January 2008
    we get programmes on Sky and other channels here, like 'road wars', 'the worst cop chases'.... those kinds of things... I have to say, I laugh at some of the 'sobriety tests' done in the USA...it's soooo obvious the person is drunk... especially when, like that woman said -

"Aaaah cain't even do this whan aaah'm seobwer!!"

"Ok, stand up ma'am, we'll try that one again...."

What - ?!:wow: :lol:

PS;

I love your avatar.... relative of yours? Cute, really cute. I'll always try to post after you so the little one gets to see Pooh Bear....!!
  • edited January 2008
    Some of the best advice I received when becoming a police officer was “Don’t watch reality police shows, but if you do, you can learn what not to do” It is more and more embarrassing for my profession when those shows air. I promise you that is not the majority of police officers here in the US (it’s like only 25% well ok 60% dang ok 80%) and (I’m not going any higher!)

Yes that’s my little guy Charlie 2 ½ and FULL of energy. He will soon have a sibling, my wife and I have an ultrasound today.
    :cheer:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2008
    2 1/2?

I remember mine at that age - scary! Two favourite words: why? and No. Energy to burn.

And another one the way. Congratulations.

Something was itching at the back of my memory so I Googled and found this reminder:
    Buddhism & the Badge
    edited January 2008
    No, Really, I didn't think all cops are really like that in the USA.

No...
    No really, i didn't.

Really.

Not really.

No.

Lovely little kid you got there... is he excited about a sibling, or have you said nothing yet...?

Nice link Simon....
    Shame it wasn't sanctioned though. Obligatory would be a better thing!!
  • edited January 2008
    Simon,
    Thank you for the article. It’s funny, the story came out of the city and state I work in.
    Just a different department though.

Again thank you.

Federica, “is he excited about a sibling, or have you said nothing yet...?” He doesn’t yet under stand but we are working on it. We did however find out the future one is a BOY!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Hi, David. Welcome to the board.

What a lovely introduction you wrote! Charlie is adorable, by the way. (As if you didn't already know...:))
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2008

GREAT!

Hey, David's Peace, very good to see your presence here.

Madison, Wisconsin? Thumbs Up! I had a couple of my closest cousins there. Great Town!

A lot of us folks can't quite make it to our computer keyboards as much as we used to, but there's quite a well of philosophical tidbits and the like to look over here.

I remember I took a special course on policing in college and we studied some guy who studied the Philadelphia police, who were forced to make so many vice arrests each year or be implicated in participating in it. I remember that there were about three or four basic "types." The most dangerous one was the Enforcer, who basically divided the world into two types, the good and the bad. Scary. It was very interesting and I've often wished I had pursued the subject further.
  • edited January 2008
    Nirvana,
    The big day is coming up for the state of South Carolina. I hope the TV ads are not too crazy. It is the season of allot negativity (unfortunately)
    Hang in there!
  • edited February 2008
    Welcome!

I am new too and I've been scolded already a couple of times for my comments:winkc:

There is always something to learn. From everyone. And not everything you learn is as you expected.
    edited February 2008
    Yes well, if you will keep leaving your socks everywhere.... it would help to be able to wash them in pairs....!
    *bustles round, pickin' stuff up*
    Tsk tsk tsk!!
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Davids, just saw this thread (see aforementioned remark about some of us getting too busy to make it to the keyboard all the time), and I want to welcome you as well. I enjoyed our conversation via PM regarding the similarities and differences between LE and military duties.
  • edited February 2008
    federica wrote: »
    Yes well, if you will keep leaving your socks everywhere.... it would help to be able to wash them in pairs....!
    *bustles round, pickin' stuff up*
    Tsk tsk tsk!!

(enter Knitwitch with tea tray containing four pint teapot and mugs

OK guys tea break - I'll give Fede a hand with the tidying up later - I don't do philosophy or debate, I do dusting! :ukflag:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Hey, David.

Welcome.

-bf