Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism & Psychology

edited March 2008 in Buddhism Today
One of the modern developments within the Western reception (and some Eastern too) of Buddhism is something that I think I would call its own field--the intersection of East/West. In particular, I find that there are many many people studying, discussing, practicing the intersection of Buddhism and psychology. Not Buddhist psychology per se, though that is interesting too, but Western psychology.

I find this fascinating. I would love to hear what people think about the topic and issues involved. I will leave it open therefore to whatever anyone has to say.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Coincidentally, one of the books I received at Christmas is one entitled Buddhist Psychology by Caroline Brazier. She is a Buddhist practitioner and psychotherapist and says, in the preface
    In some senses.... it becomes questionable whether it is even possible to treat Buddhist psychology as a separate discipline from Buddhism as a whole. At the same time, of course, presenting the teachings as psychology creates the possibility that the understanding Buddhism offers can be extended to those who might not otherwise engage with the religious aspects of the faith. Also, for those of us who are practising Buddhists, it challenges us to look at the practical expression of the teachings, always a priority for the Buddha himself,and to avoid falling into abstract metaphysics, divorced from our day-to-day lives.
    Caroline Brazier Buddhist Psychology (Constable & Robinson, London. 2003)

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Are you familiar with the Contemplative Psychology program at Naropa, island?

Palzang
  • edited January 2008
    Yes, quite familiar and I spent some time in Boulder. I considered going there in fact. And had also considered going there for their poetics program. It is a fascinating institution with a rich and varied history. I read Trungpa with great exhilaration, regardless of whatever people might say about him in a personal sense.

I chose instead CIIS--California Institute of Integral Studies--a kind of sister institution and one of the first to be accredited for East/West and transpersonal studies. The reasons are that first it is local. Second it is more ecumenical. You have to have a spiritual practice to attend, you have to take courses in East/West, and most are Buddhists but not all, and not required to be. I am fascinated by many spiritual traditions because I see a deep longing for spirituality in human beings. So I am learning from Christian mystics, from various schools of Yoga, from Sufis, and so on.

The real reason is that the program at CIIS while spiritual is not primarily about spirituality by itself. It is integrated, hence the name. That means that it is combined with intensive clinical psychology, for the principle there is that if you want to practice with a spiritual side as a therapist you have to be even better at the standard clinical practices than those who do not choose that path.

The program in Integral Counseling offers courses in the main fields of psychology: psychoanalysis (Freud, Jung, psychodynamics, object relations, self psych, etc), in humanistic and existential psychologies (the latter of which I am keen to learn), in some systems theory (which is on the more cognitive behaviorial side), and finally in transpersonal.

Because I want to work with the more severely ill, I have chosen a program that is very rigorous in clinical training. I will absolutely need this training. The Buddhism will take care of itself.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I'm familiar with CIIS. They do have an excellent program. Doesn't Peter Gold teach there?

Your comment about Trungpa Rinpoche is interesting. Yes, there are lots of people who like to run their mouths about him (you know the old saying, opinions are like a**holes - everybody's got one, and they usually stink!). What's important to remember is that Trungpa was a crazy wisdom yogi. It was his job to go around pulling the carpet out from under people. That's how crazy wisdom yogis work. Of course many people failed to understand what he was pointing out to them, so instead they projected their own delusions onto him, rather like transference in the psychological realm. I think the best take I ever saw on Trungpa was an interview Helen Tworkov (of Tricycle) did with Pema Chodron. She kept trying to draw Pema out about all of Trungpa's alleged misbehavior, but Pema's consistent reply was that one doesn't question one's teacher. Drove Helen up the wall, I'm sure, but it was the right answer. Hard for us Big Ego Westerners to swallow that one!

Palzang
  • edited January 2008
    I heard about that very interview. Fascinating indeed. LOL

I also had a long discussion with a colleague about his own practice which is in Trungpa Rinpoche's line. There are real concerns there so it is not all just crap thrown out of nowhere, but mostly it is crap. And who are we to judge anyway? I agree with you and continue to defend his writings and teachings to those who say stupid things without thinking.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2008
    island,
    island wrote: »
    One of the modern developments within the Western reception (and some Eastern too) of Buddhism is something that I think I would call its own field--the intersection of East/West. In particular, I find that there are many many people studying, discussing, practicing the intersection of Buddhism and psychology. Not Buddhist psychology per se, though that is interesting too, but Western psychology.

I find this fascinating. I would love to hear what people think about the topic and issues involved. I will leave it open therefore to whatever anyone has to say.

From my perspective, I do not see Buddhism and psychology are two distinct fields, but more as two different approaches to the same general problem. Psychology is the modern science that deals with mental processes and behaviour, and Buddhism is a more ancient, contemplative science that deals with mental processes and behaviour. If one were to take a look at the core teachings of the Pali Canon, for example, one would find a plethora of observations and techniques specifically aimed at limiting, and ultimately ending, human [mental] suffering. Most of these are on a case by case basis, i.e., dealing with specific persons and circumstances, but there are also a great deal of generalized teachings as well. All in all, I find it encouraging that some modern psychologists are willing to explore the Buddha's methods seriously. I feel that what the Buddha taught has a lot to offer.

Jason
  • edited January 2008
    They are two perspectives on the same set of phenomena. I only state them as distinct out of respect for their differences. That is why I wrote that I thought that those working with both in an integrated way my constitute a field onto its own. One where the similarities and differences are sorted out and worked with skillfully.

I aim to try just that, but cannot yet say that I have a handle on it. Only that I am interested and wish to learn.

It is reassuring to me not only that therapist try to learn about Buddhism, but that Buddhists become therapists. There is so much suffering out there. Just heart rending. Buddhists have a lot to offer to those in need. Just by being who they are.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2008
    I used to frequent a forum which dealt principally with different aspects of relationships. I was invited to go there by a member of another forum. I found, broadly speaking, that most of the problems brought onto the board by people frustrated by their relationships, (whether familial, or amoral) could easily be defined by Suffering and Clinging. I say 'Most' because I am not personally 'qualified' to offer professional counselling, and could only give advice or opinion where I felt a professional approach or input was not needed. Those who came in with deeper problems, and more entrenched issues and "psychoses" I would not venture to tackle, for fear of upsetting the balance further.

But I digress....