Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New here, hello everyone

edited January 2008 in General Banter
Hi everyone,

My name is Ethan I have been studying buddhism, and other religions for many years now, but only recently have decided to practice it myself. (have been doing so for about a year) My nature is to ask alot of questions, and as such Iam glad to have found this forum to do so. When I first began my practice I read Shunryu Suzuki's "Zen mind, beginners mind" as Im sure many fledgling buddhists have. Inspired by the ideas of Beginners mind I decided to write a book myself about a beginners journey into buddhism. It contains journal type entries, my ideas of what buddhism is, my questions about it, and the attempt to find the answers, written by someone who mind is still open to all facets of this philosophy. Its a mindset that is hard to maintain forever, and the point of my book is to preserve the ideas of beginners mind while I still have them. I do not subscribe to a particular school, I feel there is much to be learned from all of them. So anyway, enough backstory about me, Im glad to be here, and hopefully I dont ruffle any feathers with my research, thanks!
-e-

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Hi, Ethan. Welcome to the board!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2008
    eve9d9 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My name is Ethan I have been studying buddhism, and other religions for many years now, but only recently have decided to practice it myself. (have been doing so for about a year) My nature is to ask alot of questions, and as such Iam glad to have found this forum to do so. When I first began my practice I read Shunryu Suzuki's "Zen mind, beginners mind" as Im sure many fledgling buddhists have. Inspired by the ideas of Beginners mind I decided to write a book myself about a beginners journey into buddhism. It contains journal type entries, my ideas of what buddhism is, my questions about it, and the attempt to find the answers, written by someone who mind is still open to all facets of this philosophy. Its a mindset that is hard to maintain forever, and the point of my book is to preserve the ideas of beginners mind while I still have them. I do not subscribe to a particular school, I feel there is much to be learned from all of them. So anyway, enough backstory about me, Im glad to be here, and hopefully I dont ruffle any feathers with my research, thanks!
    -e-

Welcome, Ethan,

I hope you find your time here fruitful. I certainly do. It has also impressed on me how important my practice is, both in terms of meditation and in terms of service. Without them, all my study and writing are as useful as trampled straw.

I like the idea of your 'travel journal'. If I may, I would advise that you do nothing about editing it or publishing for at least five years. Then go back and read the first year. Only then can you decide if it has anything valuable to say to anyone other than yourself. In the meantime, just write it as a record.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2008
    Welcome to NewBuddhist :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2008
    eve9d9 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My name is Ethan I have been studying buddhism, and other religions for many years now, but only recently have decided to practice it myself. ...... I decided to write a book myself about a beginners journey into buddhism. It contains journal type entries, my ideas of what buddhism is, my questions about it, and the attempt to find the answers, written by someone who mind is still open to all facets of this philosophy. Its a mindset that is hard to maintain forever, and the point of my book is to preserve the ideas of beginners mind while I still have them.

Welcome welcome and thrice welcome....!
    Nice to meet you!
    Your lovely idea reminded me of the story of Allen Ginsberg, the famous Poet and author, who in the 70's, attended a wonderful meditation retreat. he sat, in the meditation hall, waiting for the day to begin. His master came into the hall, and approached him, sat next to him, greeted him.... and noticed a book and pen, at Ginsberg's side.
    Oh, you have book - what is it?" asked the Master.
    It's a note book. I intend to document my thoughts, feelings and experiences here, to remind me of all the great things that will happen to me here... I call it my thought-bubble book...." replied Ginsberg, smiling.
    "Bubbles burst!!" Exclaimed the Master, suddenly. And picking up the notebook, he threw it out of the window.

I too used to keep journals. at one point, I had 19 of them.
    It is precisely as Simon says. Record, note, and keep an account of everything you encounter and experience. but wai a while before doing anything with it. Then your Perspective will have grown a five-o'clock shadow, and will sit and read it with a cup of tea in hand, with different eyes....
    (We play that game here, you know... 'Simon says'....and he's usually got the edge or angle...!!)

It is fascinating to look back... I read some posts I made as little as a month ago, and think.... "yeh...right....!!"

I hope you find much fun, laughter, wisdom and joy as you progress...And I hope your journal is fit to busting with much useful data.
    I just found Ginsberg's story pithy....!!
  • edited January 2008
    thanks for the welcome, hopefully i can jump right into the discussion here ....apologies if I put this thread in the wrong place.....still figuring out the layout...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2008
    Don't apologise, there is no problem, or contravention...! I have precious little to do here as one of the Moderators, so I spend most of my time housekeeping....

dusting, tidying up....

Picking up odd socks.....

closing cupboards.....
    loading the diswasher.....

putting the odd stray thread in a 'suitable' place.....

emptying the toaster of 10 weeks' worth of crumbs....
    that kind of thing....!!

You have any queries, Brian or Elohim and I will always be willing to respond in any way you need....

As "they" say:
    The only dumb question is the one you fail to ask...!!
    :lol: