Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Essential Book of Herbal Medicine

The Essential Book of Herbal Medicine

Simon Y. Mills

Penguin ISBN 0-14-019309-X

Most of us have herbal books on our shelves that give lists of which herbs treat which ailments. We probably also have large coffee table versions showing what the plants look like in the wild.

But THIS is the book for those who want to know WHY as well as HOW. The background biology and chemistry is more in-depth and the linking of Eastern tradition with Western Herbal tradition is fascinating.

The author has a degree in medical science as well as full professional qualifications in herbalism but he presents a balanced and coherent argument for and against the modern symptom-based medicine and the traditional holistic based herbal tradition.

For anyone who wants to go further in their knowledge of herbal treatment, I can recommend this book whole-heartedly. It is not a light read but it is fascinating.

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Thanks, Knitwitch.

I've been interested in herbalism for a long time but I've never studied it in depth. I wrote a paper in 4th year university about women healers in 17th century Britain and was able to use original sources in the library in Wales when I went over for a visit that year which was amazing. Touching a book printed in the 1600s, even if I did have to wear gloves, was such a high! The smell of it, the feel of it, the weight of history, wondering what other hands had touched this same book through the centuries. What an experience and what an absolutely wonderful subject!

I have to admit, though, that most of the herbal medicine itself was waaayyy over my head. It's no wonder it takes years and years of study and practice to qualify. I'd love to give it another shot though, now that I have so much time on my hands. I'll have to have a look around for that book. Do you think it would be something I might be able to understand or do you think it would be over my head? You can tell me the truth, I won't be offended, I promise. :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2008
    My mom was into "herbal" medicine.

She had one book in particular that she loved. I wish I could remember the author or name of it. Some old timey, Puritan lookin' dude that, from what I remember, thought everything could be cured with tea and a good, high enema.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2008
    BF, she could well have been right.
    like the guy who says all you need in your toolbox is duct tape an WD40.
    The first to hold everything together, and the second to make it all come apart....
  • edited February 2008
    Brigid I think you would understand it - the first few sections go through Human Anatomy and explain how the different systems work - and you 'll probably understand the Oriental philosophy of healing waaaaay better than I did.

BF - would that have been Culpepper's - your mum's book. It was the old "herbalist's' bible".

And yes, flushing the system through is often the answer, to get the digestive system working fast and get rid of the infection more quickly.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Culpepper?

The name "Koch" keeps popping in my head when I try to think of my mom's book.

Flushing the system is good - but this guy said that with good, high enemas you could rid yourself of everything from insanity and cancer to in-laws.

I mean... c'mon... really... in-laws?

-bf
  • edited February 2008
    If I had found a way of getting rid of in-laws that really worked I would have patented it by now!

Er - not really into enemas as treatment - not entirely convinced that they do any good at all.

But then if you bang on about enemas all the time, maybe your in-laws will go away and leave you alone.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    LOL!!!

I know Thomas Culpepper's book (it was Thomas, right?). That was one of the books I used In Wales and it was an original copy. I had to go into this special room with no pens or pencils and wear white gloves to touch and look through it. It was a cool experience. I hardly understood a thing, but it was fun anyway.

Okay, Knitwitch. I'll get myself a copy. I'm so interested in anatomy and I bet I'll love it. Thanks so much for bringing this up. I have no life. I need a hobby.

Speaking of herbalism, my father, who has Type 2 Diabetes, had a cyst on his upper arm that was pretty bad. A nurse had to come every day to sort it out until it healed. While this was happening I came across a Reuters article about a certain kind of honey found in New Zealand and, I think, Australia. I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but it has extremely high medicinal properties and is now being used in some medical practice in New York for treating Diabetic ulcers and so on. Apparently it's pretty fantastic and regular doctors are starting to use it more and more. I've always loved honey, especially our local honey. It's so wonderful. (Except it made me fat when I was using it regularly in my tea. I used to drink too much tea. With too much honey, apparently. :) )
  • edited May 2009
    It was probably Manuka honey from NZ :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Yes! That's exactly what it was! Manuka honey and it's found only in New Zealand.

Thanks Kiwi!
  • edited May 2009
    Many thanks for the book recommendation :) I am very interested in herbalism and I am trying to create my own medicinal herb garden, I just need to know what to plant and how to cultivate it. Does anyone know of any other books that would be of use to me?

Many thanks :)