Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Altered perspective

edited February 2008 in Faith & Religion
I'm posting this here because I am not too sure how well this idea is going to sit with Buddhist teaching.

A lot of belief systems urge their followers to seek the Universal Force, Buddha, God, Star-stuff in fellow human beings. Good idea. Very difficult in practice.

A thing I do, which is personal but might help anyone getting their hair off with fellow man, is to imagine what animal they might have been in a previous existence. It is much more difficult to get cross with an animal because they can't help it.

So a dear friend eats like a pig, munching and slurping? Well maybe they WERE a pig last time around and can't help themself. So look at them across the table and imagine a nice big ole hog snuffling in the trough and I promise you it won't be nearly so irritating.

I have one very beloved friend who blows on his food. Every forkful is blown upon before he puts it in his mouth and I know it is just a habit but it used to drive me crazy. So I realised that he was a raccoon in his last incarnation and blowing is just a substitute for washing his food. Now I can eat with him, giggling as I see him as a furry bandit critter, scrupulously washing his dinner before eating it.

If everything is illusion and nothing is as we think we see it, maybe imagining our fellow man as creatures in order to feel more compassion and unconditional love for them, isn't so wrong?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2008
    The big problem with that is that Animals are usually more loveable....

And....
    I think I said that out loud.....

Yes....:tongue2:

The Buddha when he became enlightened is said to have remembered his (400) past lives, many of which involved a birth as an animal...

So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we were once an animal.

And indeed, who knows?
    May be again.....!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    I like that idea very much. Any ways to generate more compassion is good in my book. I'm going to try it with my folks and see what animals I come up with. I'll let you know.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Of course we were all animals before, not once, but many, many times. We have also been been hell beings, hungry ghosts, gods and jealous gods too many times to even contemplate. And once in a great while we even get to be humans!

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2008
    Palzang wrote:
    And once in a great while we even get to be humans!
    Ooooh, I can't wait for that realm to happen to me.....!!
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2008
    federica wrote: »
    Ooooh, I can't wait for that realm to happen to me.....!!

LOL!!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2008
    We're all prayin' for ya, Fede!

Palzang
  • edited February 2008
    I've got mine booked - next time I'm coming back as one of my own dogs .... that way I will have a wonderful life and get spoilt rotten all the time.