Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Finding a Meditation Instructor....

Hello All, I have been meditating on my own now for a little while and now would like to find an instructor, any advice on selecting one? I have a list of instructors from my local Shambhala Center, and am assuming that choosing the proper instructor is like finding the right person to marry (maybe a bad analogy) as you are technically speaking building a relationship with your mind.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    I don't know how they do things at Shambala, but my experience with introductory meditation classes has been:

- high attrition rate, so don't be too offended if the teacher kind of ignores you the first one or two sessions

- starts slow, probably not a lot of individual interaction with the teacher (do they have dokusan in the Tibetan traditions?) until the student's shown a proficiency with the basic meditation techniques

- changing teachers after a month or two is not unusual, and shouldn't upset anyone

- the teacher himself may send a student to a different instructor, if they think they may suit each other better, or if he just doesn't have the time. I tried not to take this too personally!

My suggestion would be to phone or email the centre and ask when they have their introductory meditation classes, or if they have a 'Beginner's Buddhism' course - most places do.

Good luck!
  • edited February 2008
    where are you located, Shambhala_Warrior_1975?
  • edited February 2008
    scotta wrote: »
    where are you located, Shambhala_Warrior_1975?

I am trapped in the frigid state of Maine