Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Family sayings

edited March 2008 in General Banter
Have you got any sayings that are peculiar to your family? A real in-joke that outsiders won't understand?

Example? In our house we use the phrase "clarinet playing" or refer to someone as a "clarinet player".

Can you work out why?

Think about it

Scroll down

Our grand daughter came over to stay for a while and had just taken up the clarinet. Whenever there was a job to do that she didn't feel like doing (as in, all the time) she would disappear saying ""I promised Mum I would practice my clarinet every day" then shut herself in her room playing the one tune she could play, never trying anything else and never making any progress. Hence - clarinet player - skiver or one who offers lame or fictitious excuses to get out of work.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Well, I recently got some funny looks when I offered a guest some "Soylent tea."

My mom, sister and I are all big tea drinkers. I bought some Oolong tea in bulk for my sister as a gift. She said she'd really liked it but the name was a bit off-putting.

"I'm not sure about drinking red humans!"

I said, "What? No, it's called Hunan red, after the province in China."

"Oh, that makes more sense. For a second there, I thought you'd given me soylent tea."

"But, it's not green!"

So now if one of us offers to make a pot of tea for the other, we offer a choice of "Green, black, or soylent (oolong)?"
  • edited March 2008
    'Someday isn't on the calendar.'

My grandparents brought up 9 kids through the depression...and were poor as could be. My grandfather always promised my grandmum that 'someday we'll have dinner at Lido's'...that being the fancy new 'Eye-talian' restaurant. Birthdays, wedding anniversaries...all came and went...and with 9 kids...there just never was that little extra for the two of them to eat out. He passed away after 40 years of marriage....never having eaten out.

So when hubby tells me 'someday I'll do XXX' or 'someday we'll visit XXX'...I remind him that 'Someday isn't on the calendar.'
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    We always used to tell the children that if they were naughty, we'd Mologhize them... Never knew what it meant....
    Than I asked my mother-in-Law....
    It turns out that when she was a child, her father used to say it to her, and her brothers and sisters.... and when she asked him what it meant, he said he didn't know either....but it sounded really serious and put the fear of God into the children!!