Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Good Friend is in Need.

edited April 2008 in General Banter
Dear Friends:

I recently visited http://www.what-buddha-said.net/various/sincere_request.htm and learned that Venerable Samahita's knee is in bad physical condition and is in need of surgery. The Dhammadhara Foundation accepts donations and lay-people are organizing for Bhante to have the needed surgery on his knee if enough funds are raised in time. He will be going back to Denmark relatively soon to visit family (already was sent ticket), and needs to have the surgery performed there (this doctor not available in Sri Lanka). Please, friends, consider donating to this good cause so that Venerable Samahita may have this much needed surgery soon. Bhikkhu Samahita is a beacon of the Good Dhamma. Let us help this real friend in a time of need!
To give this dana, please go here: http://www.what-buddha-said.net/various/sincere_request.htm

Funds currently raised -- $600 US

Funds needed for operation -- $3,000 US

Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammâ Sambuddhassa!

"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared, if there were someone to receive their gift. But because beings do not know, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they eat without having given. The stain of miserliness overcomes their minds."
— Iti 26

In the proper season they give —
those with discernment,
responsive, free from stinginess.
Having been given in proper season,
with hearts inspired by the Noble Ones
— straightened, Such —
their offering bears an abundance.
Those who rejoice in that gift
or give assistance,
they, too, have a share of the merit,
and the offering isn't depleted by that.
So, with an unhesitant mind,
one should give where the gift bears great fruit.
Merit is what establishes
living beings in the next life.
— AN 5.36

"And what is the treasure of generosity? There is the case of a disciple of the noble ones, his awareness cleansed of the stain of stinginess, living at home, freely generous, openhanded, delighting in being magnanimous, responsive to requests, delighting in the distribution of alms. This is called the treasure of generosity."
— AN 7.6

:bowdown:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    * Normally I would question a thread of this kind, and suspend it until I had further comment or verification....

I would add at this point that this seems a genuine request...
    Samahita himself posted something about this in his Daily Dhamma Drops thread a while ago....

Just to clarify. *
  • edited March 2008
    Thanks Fedrica. :)

By the way, here is also a link to the Dhammadara Foundation:

The Dhammadara Foundaiton .

_
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    I have stickied the thread by request until the time is right to unsticky it....!
  • edited March 2008
    Thank you Federica.

Kfar..
  • edited April 2008
    No current update, except that we are still trying to raise funds.

Kfar