Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quakers

Quakers are rather low-profile people and I would like to share a few fact about them with you for interest. You might find some striking parallels with Buddhism.

You may be wondering why I haven't chosen to put this under Buddhists and Jesus ... but you'll see why.

I was originally put off by the fact that Quaker literature talks about God (capital G and masculine) but I then did some more exploration and found that many Quakers reject that word and use "Spirit, Light or Love" instead. In any dilemma they will ask "What does Love require of me?"

The ONLY founding tenet of the Quaker faith is to have personally experienced God (however you choose to interpret that word) and to be prepared to try to see God in all other people.

That's it. No priests, no sacraments, no festivals. You don't have to believe that Jesus was the son of God, or even that he existed. Most people would agree that even if he didn't exist the example of his life as portrayed in the Bible is a good pattern to follow.

Quakers also don't bother too much with what happens when you die - as their faith is based on personal experience, your own view is valid - and they feel that how you live your life on this earth is far more important than what is going to happen afterwards.

Quaker meetings are held in total silence unless someone feels the urge to share a few motivational words. So in effect it is a group meditation with everyone concentrating on their own personal view of the Spirit and inviting that Spirit into the group - a powerful calling-up of the force for good.

You cannot be baptised a Quaker - everyone has to work it out for themselves and then decide to follow the example of the 17th century founders and live the simple life, seeing God in every person and refusing to take human life.

Quakers don't take oaths - they live by the truth and their word is enough. They also don't use titles - you are not Mr or Mrs, you are name, surname or friend.

They keep some of their quaint original wording. A Friend (with a capital) is another Quaker, a friend (small f) is not a Quaker but someone you know. They call coming to their faith as becoming "Quaker by convincement"

And please don't confuse Quaker with Puritan - despite the determination to live simply they no longer wear the Amish style clothing and they are encouraged to "Walk cheerfully" - which is not the stereotype of Puritanism we mostly have. Indeed the original Puritans in the USA loathed the Quakers and sabotaged their attempts to form or join colonies on several occasions.

They are a remarkably compassionate and practical faith, wishing to promote harmony between all whenever possible and sometimes acceding to others views in order to accommodate peace between different faiths - in the early sixties, the Quakers were one of the first groups to bring out an "advice" that encouraged compassion and love towards homosexuals at a time when this was still illegal in Britain.

Quakers don't proselytize - they live their lives quietly and kindly and hope that others will be inspired to do the same.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2008
    My first direct experience of a Quaker was when I was at Oxford. My tutor for the Dip. Ed. was Harold Loukes who had been a teacher and headmaster at Quaker schools. He was also the author of a few good books.

After one tutorial, I asked him to tell me about the Society of Friends. At the time I was really getting into the study of different faiths that has been with me all my life.

Harold replied: "No need to worry about all the organisation and belief stuff. All you need to know is this: you are unique; you are uniquely valuable; you have never been seen before and will never be seen again; and I meet God in you."

I was 24 but, after 40 years, the memory still makes my hair stand up on the back of my neck. It is a statement that has followed me and informed my relationships ever since.

We have a beautiful Meeting Room near here and an active (if ageing) Quaker community round here. I often use Meetings as times of communal meditation.
  • edited March 2008
    That is...beautiful.

Thank you.
  • edited March 2008
    Great article. Thank you. BTW, are there still Puritans?
  • edited March 2008
    There are, Goby but they have sort of fragmented into breakaway groups in the USA - they are the fundamentalist "everything is bad and you'll all go to Hell anyway" people. Their way, not mine, but not for me to criticise either!
  • edited March 2008
    Wow, next you'll tell me that there are still Pilgrims :) You learn something new everyday!
  • edited March 2008
    I'd be interested to know why you sent this to your family - if you'd be happy to tell me. You can PM me if you'd rather.

As far as I know, there are no Pilgrims any more - except at Thanksgiving!
  • edited March 2008
    Because my sister and wife are very Buddhism-friendly, but they also believe in God. It seems like Quakerism (and all that I really know about it is your article and that one of our Presidents was a Friend) has a lot of Buddhist-like qualities.

Anthony
  • edited March 2008
    http://www.quaker.org.uk/

Great! If you want to know any more - this link is for the major Quaker centre in Britain - I am sure there will be an equivalent one in the USA.
  • edited March 2008
    That is truly a beautiful religion. thank you for the info. I believe there are some here in PA, USA.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2008
    Kisa wrote: »
    I believe there are some here in PA, USA.
    Yes, one of my professors at Juniata College (middle-of-PA) was a Quaker, actually. :) She definitely did not fit any stereotype! :D
    edited March 2008
    Goby wrote: »
    Wow, next you'll tell me that there are still Pilgrims :) You learn something new everyday!

Oh yes indeed, Goby. There are still pilgrims.
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Oh yes indeed, Goby. There are still pilgrims.

Indeed! ;)
  • edited March 2008
    Do they still wear those hats and shoes? Love those shoes!!
    edited March 2008
    Goby wrote: »
    Do they still wear those hats and shoes? Love those shoes!!

Those of us who go on pilgrimage are not to be confused with a bunch of sanguinary fanatics who crossed the ocean to find more people to oppress and torture! And comfortable shoes are very useful on the longer pilgrimages, although they didn't prevent blisters on the way to Santiago de Compostela, Hats are optional.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Greenpeace was founded upon the Quaker principle of "Bearing Witness" which means that if a person witnesses a crime against life of any sort the witness to that crime has an obligation to let others know about it in order for the wrong to be made right. That's why we've seen film footage on the news of Greenpeace campaigners in Zodiaks (inflatable boats) out in the middle of the ocean putting themselves between whales and illegal whaling ships and their harpoons. Or going out in Zodiaks to film illegal dumping of nuclear and other toxic waste into the oceans. The key ingredient is the Greenpeace cameraman filming the crime and getting the footage out to the media. I've watched hours and hours of Direct Action footage by Greenpeace, all of it peaceful and very powerful, and when I think about the founding Quaker principle of Bearing Witness it makes me want to cry. It's very beautiful to me.

If you think about the ramifications you can see how brave and good this principle is. It means that people can't ignore crimes just because they "don't want to get involved". It also means the witness may be at risk for shining the light on the wrongdoers but according to the Quaker principle, it's more important to stand up for others and for what is right than to look the other way in order to keep themselves away from potential harm.

Imagine if the majority of children in every school were Quakers. Bullying would no longer exist. The Mafia wouldn't be able to operate in such an environment either. I could go on and on....

I love the Quakers and what they stand for. Thanks so much for posting that info, Knitwitch. I think it's an incredibly beautiful religion.
  • edited April 2008
    Thank you, Brigid, I am glad you liked it.

I find myself more and more drawn to their principles and my aunt, who has been a Quaker most of her life tells me I am one, whether I like it or not. So I just accept, I don't really like labels anyway. Whatever you call it, I am how I am and we'll just get on with it, and each other.:lol:

• edited April 2008
    Very interestingly - on another Buddhist board various people have been taking the on-line religion test and scoring almost as highly with Liberal Quaker as with different forms of Buddhism. Must be some similarities :)

But then I do rather think that anyone who has to be TOLD what their religion is by answering a quiz might not have put much personal thought into it. :confused:
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited April 2008
    My religion is simple- to try and leave the world a better place when I leave than it was when I got here. Whatever name that path has, I don't care.
    edited April 2008
    bushinoki wrote: »
    My religion is simple- to try and leave the world a better place when I leave than it was when I got here. Whatever name that path has, I don't care.

Whilst I think that this is an admirable sentiment, I also am now convinced that we have to be vary careful about what we mean by "better".
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Well, the basics would be a world with less violence, less greed, and less corruption.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2008
    That sounds better to me, Bushi! A LOT better.
  • edited April 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    Very interestingly - on another Buddhist board various people have been taking the on-line religion test and scoring almost as highly with Liberal Quaker as with different forms of Buddhism. Must be some similarities :)

I've been linked to Quakers, Buddhists, Taoists, and strangley enough Platonists by testing.
    I really hate to be refered to as an ist.
  • edited April 2008
    Well they're only labels and most of the time I don't think labels are very helpful - when I first meet people my first thought isn't what is their religion / politics / sexual orientation? It's - ooh someone new!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2008
    That's because you're a humanIST! :)

Palzang
  • edited April 2008
    Awwwwww - how nice of you to say so Pali
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Heyya, We've had 2 Quaker presidents here in the USA. Out of 42 men who have held that office, that means the Quakers have a 5% representation in the White House. Much better than the Lutherans, who make up a much more sizable percentage of the population, but who have never had one of their number in the White House.
    Herbert Hoover was a philanthropist engineer, the only non-military man ever to be elected President without first having served in elected office. He was Secretary of the Interior under Calvin Coolidge and a good man to stand for president. Although he tried to warn people of the dangers of the runaway greed, spending, and financial overspeculation of the 1920s, he was still blamed for the Great Depression, unfortunately. He spent his early days in West Branch, Iowa, just 10 miles east of Iowa City, and was throughout his life a man informed by the "inner light." Touring the Meeting House on the grounds of the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library in West Branch is a very peaceful and profound experience.

Richard Nixon is another story, a nominal Quaker, who had lots of ambitions and their concomitant troubles. But still, he remained as faithful as he could.

My point here is that Quakerism is a very respected and respectful segment of the American religious Establishment. I believe that schoolchildren are still taught that William Penn established Pennsylvania for the Quakers and that Maryland was established as a safe haven for Catholics.
  • edited May 2008
    Thanks for that Nirvana - nice to know they have a good reputation (apart from Nixon but there are bad apples in every barrel)

I find there is some confusion between Quaker and Amish and Puritan which is understandable but makes me laugh.

By the way - what goes clip clop, clip clop, clip clop BANG BANG clip clop, clip clop, clip clop?

No idea?

Scroll down a bit

AN AMISH DRIVE-BY SHOOTING :lol:
    edited May 2008
    A favourite story, despite the good light it thows on a monarch:

Oliver Cromwell's administration only directly banned two religious groups by name: Catholics and Quakers - an interesting insight into the Parliamentarian mindset. After 1660 and the Restoration, Charles II sent for George Fox, who had been imprisoned for conspiracy. This was the time of the Peace Testimony. Fox was brought to court and refused to remove his hat. The king was, as in his portraits, wearing one of those big, broad-brimmed confections, with a feather. The courtiers were shocked at Fox's refusal and the guards rushed forward but Charles II was a better politician than many of them and certainly didn't want religious strife over a hat. So what does the king do?

He stands up so that everyone has to bow, except Fox, of course, and takes off his own hat, spun it across the room declaring:
    "Brother George, protocol demands that one of us must bare our head. If thou wilt not, I shall."