Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tending our garden

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited November 2010 in Arts & Writings
Brian has a pretty big backyard for metropolitan Detroit. The previous owner was a big-time gardenig fanatic, so Brian inherited an elaborate landscap... Continue reading

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    There's a lot to be said for a stick of dynamite and a box of matches....! :lol:

First of all cultivate a good scope of really good friends.
    Make sure this group contains at least one person wih a passing interest in gardening. (That is, they can tell a root from a branch....!:D )
    Suggest a spring Garden warming party. Everyone should bring a spade, fork good gloves and plenty of humour.
    Set aside the weekend...Which will still not be enough, incidentally....!

Plan first of all, what you want the garden for.
    Plan next, which direction is which...Although it looks pretty 'open plan' and succeptible to all kinds of different conditions.... is it shadier in some parts more than others....?
    Then decide what kind of maintenance you're going to want to invest in it...
    Even a low-maintenance garden needs some maintenance....!

Make a bonfire and get rid of all burnable stuff.

What's the shrub under the window?

If you want to keep it, cut out all the dead wood, and trim back the healthy wood to a good healthy bud. or ask the keen gardener (see above) to do it....

If all you want is a field, buy a goat.
    Saves cutting the grass.
    Remove obvious ratting dens, and use the bins for either recycling stuff, or get rid of what you don't need.
    make sure the garden is secure. A wandering dog is a worrying dog.
    (I can help you on that too, as a dog behaviourist! :D;))

Gardeners are wonderful sharers.... They'll happily give you hints and tips, and even divide plants up for you and give you a bit, for your own patch of land.
    Try growing your own vegetables. Not potatoes. They're a waste of energy and effort, unless you plan to go commercial....but your own tomatoes and fresh beans and courgettes, are lush....
    Gardening is enormously therapeutic too... let's you vent and get crud out of your mental sysytem, and give's you a day's satisfaction of work well done.
    Watch your backs though.
    And don't think anything that looks easy, automatically will be. If you're in need of help, say so. A heavy job is better done in two.....
    What wouldn't I do for a bit of garden, even half this size!
  • edited March 2008
    1 above all - let us know - there are a few gardeners on here too.

2 take heart - our little garden was a miserable place when we moved here, then a building site for a year while the house was gutted and re-done but now it is quite respectable.

3 make sure you take lots of tea breaks! :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2008
    When I moved from London, 20 years ago (can it really be that long?), I had never had a real garden and knew little about them. The garden here was all lawn: my step-sprogs were 10 and 14 so they used it to play football and pitch camp, etc.

Remodelling the garden into 'outdoor rooms' kept my wife and me sane while she was going through the nasty process of dying. The process gave me an enthusiasm that continues to surprise me and give me great joy - as well as blisters and an aching back.

I now have a meditation space, a wild-life pond, some specimen trees, and places to sit and watch the birds, frogs, toads, etc. Whatever the weather or the time of year there is something to see on my morning stroll. Each year brings new ideas, new struggles, new delights.

As I contemplate the idea of moving house, only two things are vital for me in a new place: a big kitchen and a garden big enough to engage me. I can no longer entertain the idea of being without outdoor space in which to work at the long compromise between my ideas and nature.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2008
    federica wrote: »
    First of all cultivate a good scope of really good friends.
    Unfortunately, my friends are almost all geeks :( I probably have more of a green thumb than any of them, and I just killed my only house plant a couple months ago :rolleyes:
    Make a bonfire and get rid of all burnable stuff.
    Excellent suggestion! I'll start doing that.
    (I can help you on that too, as a dog behaviourist! :D;))
    As Brian said, "You should meet Snuffie!" :lol: I think he could be the subject of his own book :p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    Er...sorry, off-topic....
    How do we post something so that it will automatically appear on the Home page?
    If we intend to post an article, how do we make sure it goes where we want it to go....?

Do we just start a new thread here, and it's automatic, or what....?:confused:
    edited March 2008
    Er...sorry, off-topic....
    How do we post something so that it will automatically appear on the Home page?
    If we intend to post an article, how do we make sure it goes where we want it to go....?

Do we just start a new thread here, and it's automatic, or what....?:confused:
    No, follow the "Front page control panel" link under the staff forum :) Posting it on the front page will also copy it to the forum automatically.

I'm happy to say that I've gotten started. I trimmed the hedge outside my window down to size, cut the reeds (who in turn cut me), and started the process of removing the vines from the bushes. I was to continue today, but weather intervened - more snow! I was hoping the thaw would continue all week so I could get a jump start.
  • edited March 2008
    When I moved in here, I first thing planted a garden. I loved it. But make sure you measure everything. They look small at first and then wham, you got a humongous monster plant in the middle of your garden. I surely planted way too many zuchinni. And don't forget to mulch , mulch, mulch, to keep back the weeds and keep the soil from drying out. Or was that eggplant, I don't remember. But I do remember bringing in a basket of fresh carrots and tomatos, washing them and eating them with my kids. Way better then any supermarket. So fresh and sweet.
    edited April 2008
    It appears everything is too green to burn it yet. :( Looks like I either have to bundle it for collection or let it sit a while and dry out.

I've been beavering away at the backyard steadily. The hedges are nearly half their size, and I've extricated 90% of the vines from them. Still have to get a taller ladder to get the rest of the vines out of the trees, though. :-/ The piles of brambles would be taller than the hedges by now if I didn't keep walking on it to mash it all down!
    edited April 2008
    matt wrote: »
    It appears everything is too green to burn it yet. :( Looks like I either have to bundle it for collection or let it sit a while and dry out.

I've been beavering away at the backyard steadily. The hedges are nearly half their size, and I've extricated 90% of the vines from them. Still have to get a taller ladder to get the rest of the vines out of the trees, though. :-/ The piles of brambles would be taller than the hedges by now if I didn't keep walking on it to mash it all down!

Don't forget your compost heap. Sounds as if you could be preparing for some great compost in a couple of years.
  • edited April 2008
    Here is a wee poem to recite while doing your garden - I didn't write this one, it came in my FFH magazine today.

For the garden of your daily living

Plant three rows of peas
    Peace of mind
    Peace of heart
    Peace of soul

Plant four rows of squash
    Squash gossip
    Squash indifference
    Squash grumbling
    Squash selfishness

Plant four rows of lettuce
    Lettuce be faithful
    Lettuce be kind
    Lettuce be patient
    Lettuce really love one another

No garden without turnips
    Turnip for meetings
    Turnip for service
    Turnip to help one another

To conclude our garden we must have thyme
    Thyme for each other
    Thyme for the family
    Thyme for friends

Water freely with patience and cultivate with love
    edited April 2008
    And no matter how small a plot or patch anyone has, every garden's big enough for these...!

Lovely!!
    edited April 2008
    Don't forget your compost heap. Sounds as if you could be preparing for some great compost in a couple of years.
    This would be more of a compost mountain :-/ The brambles definitely need to leave the yard - it's the space equivalent of having put a shed in the backyard. :eek:

Compost heap in general... while I like the idea, the dog would have a nightmarish field day in it every day. :eek2:
    edited April 2008
    matt wrote: »
    This would be more of a compost mountain :-/ The brambles definitely need to leave the yard - it's the space equivalent of having put a shed in the backyard. :eek:

Compost heap in general... while I like the idea, the dog would have a nightmarish field day in it every day. :eek2:

Sounds like you need a shredder, Matt. I try to burn as little as possible - perennial weeds and so on. The rest I shred for mulch.
    edited April 2008
    Ah ha! Another excellent idea. I will definitely look into that.
  • edited April 2008
    Shredders are a great idea - because even if you can't compost things you can turn it into a really good mulch for putting over beds to stop the weeds growing or to keep the moisture in when you plant new trees or really thirsty plants like peas or beans.

If you have a wood stove and shred your twigs and branches, once dry, they make good fuel too.
    edited April 2008
    On the subject of shredders, you get what you pay for, by and large. Getting together with neighbours and sharing use can get good results - and 'mulch' the community too.
  • edited April 2008
    Yes, should have said that - we bought one second hand and it coughed and died if asked to eat anything bigger than a lolly stick.

Clubbing together is a good idea (or buying a really good one and hiring it out)
    edited April 2008
    I definitely can't buy one. It's head to the local Home Depot to rent one or nothing, I'm afraid.

Brian mentioned that shredding the vines that are tangled in it all may turn into a huge weed problem if I spread it around. There are a LOT of vines mixed in - at least a third of it, I think. I suspect it is grapevine, but I'm really not sure.
    edited April 2008
    Take a photo, close up, post it and we'll try to ID it for you.... goes with anything else you're not sure about....
    Think you can do that?

I know it's technical, but try....:D :lol:
    edited April 2008
    OK, I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow. I'm done outside for the day and have my tea and robe now :D I'm quite exhausted.

Filled 7 garbage cans full of yard waste just from clearing in/around the pond the last 3 days! :eek: Our community actually has a separate yard waste collection I found out, so it doesn't just go in a landfill.

I went to the store and bought liner and pea pebbles - I'm tearing up all the flag stone and going to put the liner under it and then fill between with the pebbles. We have a terrible weed problem between them and a lot of the stones are covered with dirt entirely. I tore up a third of it today. Back-breaking! It's definitely going to be worth it, though.

Brian and I were discussing ground cover for the far side of the pond today. Next to the pond is a gravel bed surrounded by large rocks, but beyond that is bare dirt which will turn into a weed field soon. There used to be a path back there, so we're using that as a starting point, but not sure beyond that.
  • edited April 2008
    In our old garden, the wasteland, we had an enormous problem with ivy and bramble that had got in at ground level and was impossible to dig through never mind up!

So we burned it all away, the fire lasted several days, but when we were left with ash, we rotivated it all into the ground, so it acted as a good fertiliser as well.
    edited April 2008
    This may seem trite to some but I love it. A beautifully hand-lettered copy hangs by the washbasin in my bedroom so that I can see it night and morning:
    The Glory of the Garden
    Our England is a garden that is full of stately views,
    Of borders, beds and shrubberies and lawns and avenues,
    With statues on the terraces and peacocks strutting by;
    But the Glory of the Garden lies in more than meets the eye.

For where the old thick laurels grow, along the thin red wall,
    You will find the tool- and potting-sheds which are the heart of
    all ;
    The cold-frames and the hot-houses, the dungpits and the tanks:
    The rollers, carts and drain-pipes, with the barrows and the
    planks.

And there you'll see the gardeners, the men and 'prentice boys
    Told off to do as they are bid and do it without noise;
    For except when seeds are planted and we shout to scare the
    birds,
    The Glory of the Garden it abideth not in words.

And some can pot begonias and some can bud a rose,
    And some are hardly fit to trust with anything that grows;
    But they can roll and trim the lawns and sift the sand and loam,
    For the Glory of the Garden occupieth all who come.

Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing:--"Oh, how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel-paths with broken dinner-knives

There's not a pair of legs so thin, there's not a head so thick,
    There's not a hand so weak and white, nor yet a heart so sick.
    But it can find some needful job that's crying to be done,
    For the Glory of the Garden glorifieth every one.

Then seek your job with thankfulness and work till further
    orders,
    If it's only netting strawberries or killing slugs on borders;
    And when your back stops aching and your hands begin to
    harden,
    You will find yourself a partner in the Glory of the Garden.

Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
    That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees,
    So when your work is finished, you can wash your hand and
    pray
    For the Glory of the Garden, that it may not pass away!
    And the Glory of the Garden it shall never pass away!

Kipling
    edited March 2009
    Last year was the year of reclaiming: I slashed and burned and cut and mowed the yard back into manageable condition. Then I ran out of energy and tried to just keep it under control.

This shall be the year of rebuilding. :D

With the temperature hovering around 25F, I collected half a trashcan full of litter from the yard and 2 trashcans full of sticks and branches. Tomorrow is switchgrass day. :eek:

It was very gratifying to remember I invested in a step ladder last year. That's one thing I have going for me already! :lol:
  • edited March 2009
    Work with the trees for aesthetics Lincoln. The shades of green of those and the shrubs mingle with the bright colours that spring brings once you get that step ladder into third gear. :)
    edited March 2009
    The switch grass is no more! 2 big bundles, 2 trashcans, and more on the ground but I'm out of trash cans! :p It turns out yard waste pickup doesn't start for 3 weeks so I could be in trouble here. The hedges are next, so who knows how big the pile is going to get.
  • edited March 2009
    I had a grass problem once after using it as a sponge to soak up a backyard bog for awhile. I went to a recycling centre, and they took some of the refuge and directed me to some rural property owners who were glad to take my crab grass. One guy was making ethenol of the stuff for his farm machinery.
    edited March 2009
    Heh, this grass won't be soaking up much. This stuff has more in common with tree saplings than grass. 8 feet tall, hard to cut down, and as thick as your pinky finger at times. Probably had a good 25 square feet of it in the backyard around the white birch tree.
    dscn1448.JPG
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited September 2009
    So how did the garden go in 2009? Just found your thread. I used to keep 1400 sq.ft. of perennial flower garden, so I'd love to share ways to put in plants on the cheap, ways to plan a balanced garden that blooms through the season, and plants that are easy to care for. Let me know if you're still interested.
    edited September 2009
    Pretty poorly :-/ Started off OK but it's a mess by now. We've spent most of our summer indoors working on our web projects.
    edited September 2009
    Autumn is a wonderful season in my little garden: colours are changing, bulbs are to be planted, leaves are to be swept, even the tender plants are not yet taken in or wrapped up. Lots of fun.

Mind you, we could do with some rain but we are not in the terrible situation of you dear friends in Oz.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Our backyard is a complete trainwreck. We got a ticket from the city yesterday for neglecting our lawn. It's that bad.
    edited September 2009
    There's an awful lot to be said for a bulldozer, concrete and gravel.......:lol:

Damn the ticket.... what does that mean.?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2009
    It means paying the city money for the guy they sent around to shake his finger and tell me how shameful our lawn is :D
    edited September 2009
    Ok, so if their paintwork sucks and the local town hall is a disgrace, go give them a ticket, saying "I'll do mine when you do yours......"!

Alternatively, a flamethrower is good for really crapping out the hell of stuff you don't want.....

But that could be taken multiple ways.....:lol:
  • edited November 2010
    Lovely patch of garden. Probably add a few fruit trees and organic vegetable planting :D