Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Today I'm becoming a Buddhist

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Four years ago, I brought a bunch of books and my dog to a remote campsite with my travel trailer, and read for 3 days straight. My goal was to find the meaning of life. After 3 days, I decided that Buddhism was the path for me.

For the past four years I have been a wishy-washy Buddhist. Sure, I'm a vegetarian, and I when I fill out forms, I put "Buddhist," but I have not been a "real" Buddhist in so many other areas. Heck, its easier to watch TV then meditate.

About 4 weeks ago I decided to change my life. No more feeling sorry for my self. I have read an amazing self-help book every morning (and actually done the written exercises), and read a great Buddhist book every night (without fail!!) My secretary is going crazy with my increased productivity, and all my friends and family see a huge change.

So this morning, I decided its time for me to be a practicing Buddhist. Time to get off the fence and onto the mat. Time to think and act like a Buddhist 24/7 (or at least do my best). Time to put the Buddha's teachings to work in my life.

So, I think this is my first post on the this board that I joined months ago. I look forward to being a part of this list.

Anthony

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    Yo, you go, Tone!!

hello, and welcome to our friendly little forum, Goby!
    Nice to meet you!

So you're taking Refuge, are you?

Good one!

Take it easy, don't rush, be calm and enjoy!!
  • edited March 2008
    Welcome Goby - good to meet you
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2008
    I'm really glad for you; not necessarily that you've "decided to become Buddhist", but more simply that you're finding yourself and working on your self-discipline.
    Goby wrote: »
    Sure, I'm a vegetarian
    Already a step ahead of me, then ;)
    4 weeks ago ... every night (without fail!!)
    I think this is really the key. More important, even, than what you're reading is that you're committing and exercising self-discipline. This is really my own weakness.

Cheers, Anthony.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Goby,

May your practice bring you and all beings the greatest benefit.
  • edited March 2008
    Thank you for your kind words. Actually being a lame Buddhist for 4 years has brought so much joy and peace in my life, I can't even imagine what can happen with a little more effort!!

And yes, the finding myself and self-displine is a biggy. I'm really patting myself on the back for that one!! This might be the first self-help book I've ever completed. And wow, the change is amazing.

BTW, this morning I forwarded Knitwitch's great article (I think it was Knitwitch's) on Quakers to my wife and sister.

It 8:00, so time to hit the mat and read my Buddhist book. Is life exciting!!

Anthony
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    That's really excellent, Anthony. Godspeed! Er, Buddhaspeed!

Palzang
  • edited March 2008
    Hey Goby, thanks, that was kind of you. I hope they enjoy it.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Goby, I see from your location you're in NorCal. Where at?

As far as the self-commitment goes, congratulations. I'm working on that myself, hoping to make a difference for the future.
  • edited March 2008
    Hey, I see you're in Colorado. Where?

I spent 3 years at Ft. Carson as a legal clerk from 84-87.

I live in Weaverville, in Trinity County. On top of a mountain between Eureka and Redding.

Thanks for the kind words.

Anthony

bushinoki wrote: »
    Goby, I see from your location you're in NorCal. Where at?

As far as the self-commitment goes, congratulations. I'm working on that myself, hoping to make a difference for the future.
  • edited March 2008
    Hey - another mountain bear!

We are getting numerous here!
  • edited March 2008
    I even live in a log cabin with a wood stove! And I don't have TV reception or cable/satellite TV. And no home mail delivery. I'm a hillbilly :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    Yee-haw....!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist it...!)

Now you've gone and dunnit....See... all I'm gettin' is Maw, Paw, Gramma, and Granpappy.... and "That's gold that is....

Black gold......."

(cue Banjo....)
  • edited March 2008
    I even live in a log cabin with a wood stove! And I don't have TV reception or cable/satellite TV. And no home mail delivery. I'm a hillbilly :)

Paradise!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    That's a beautiful area, Goby. I've visited Shasta Abbey a couple of times, and the views are breath-taking!

Palzang
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited March 2008
    Welcome aboard! An inspiration, to be sure... :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2008
    Anthony,

Welcome, and congradtulations on your recent decision to actively change your life for the better. Our actions are like seeds, and we have the ability to mold and shape the fruits of those seeds through the skillfulness and unskillfulness of our actions. The effort that is put into practicing the Dhamma is a seed that will eventually grow and ripen into the sweetest of fruits. Additionally, it helps to keep in mind that sometimes unpleasant feelings and/or situations will arise, which are quite possibly due to the ripening of past or present unskillful actions, but that should not discourage us from continuing to put forth the effort that will eventually ripen in the form of pleasant feelings and/or situations. This is especially true when we must sacrifice our comfort and happiness in the present for the sake of a greater comfort and happiness in the future. As the Buddha once said, "If by renouncing a lesser happiness one may realize a greater happiness, let the wise man renounce the lesser, having regard for the greater" (Dhp. 290).

Jason

P.S. Care to tell us which Buddhist and self-help books you have found to be helpful and/or inspirational?
  • edited March 2008
    On that wonderful weekend four years ago, several books spoke to my soul....

Being Peace by Thich Nhat Hanh was huge.... But "Wherever You Go, There You Are" was the biggie. The bomb. Wow! That's all I can say. It changed my life.

I ended my weekend with my first ever service at Shasta Abbey. It's now my "home church" when I can get there (2 hours away). I remember telling a monk that I lived 2 hours away (in a tone that it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO far away), and she said "That's not far, and its such a beautiful drive." That's when I know I was at the right place.

The two books I'm reading are "Life Strategies" by Dr. Phil. It is amazing. My wife wanted me to read the Feel Good Handbook, which I just couldn't get into, so she recommended this book. It is great. Wonderful... Life Changing. My sister went on and on this morning about how I've changed in the past month, and she is starting to see why. She just started the book, but she is also loving it.

The other book is "Awakening The Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das. I wanted to get a bit of Tibetan Buddhism into my soul. It is a good book, not quite hitting me like Thich or Jon, but I'm getting to the good part... the Eight Fold Path!!! I knew it was coming, and there it is! Jeepers, now I'm really going to have to change my life!

BTW, my son (age 6) is very Buddhist. From the first time he sat through an entire ceremony at the Abbey (age 3), to asking (almost demanding) that he eat lunch with the monks every time there is an after-service lunch, to knowing all the Bodhisattvas by name in DharmaCraft catalog at age 4, then proclaiming that Jizo is his favorite (and still is). He is one reason why I am here. I was raised without any religion or spiritual belief (not even atheism), and I don't want to do that to my so. He absolutely loves Buddhism, the monks, bowing, being a vegetarian (he's never had meat) and the Dharma. I have flaked on him and its time to stop.

Anyway, we're home together (he's sick), enjoying each other's company. Time to snuggle and watch a movie.

Today is wonderful.
  • edited March 2008

You sound like a friend of mine in North Carolina.

Best wishes on your practice.
    There is everything and nothing to be gained.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Now you've gone and done it. I really miss home now. I'm from Redding, and am very familiar with Trinity county along the 299 coridor. I've been to Eureka many times. Pally, I've heard of the Shasta Abbey before, but I've never heard where it's actually at. I would love to visit it one of these times home on leave, if I could ever find it.

Fede, yellow gold is more like it. Redding is the heart of what is referred to as "the Northern California Golden Circle". There are still active gold mines, as well as platinum, copper, tin, and zinc in the area. You can still pan for gold in the mountain rivers, to include the Trinity River. Large portions of the areas in the northern third of the state are National and State Forests/Parks, to include the Redwoods National Parks, and Redwoods State Parks. Get far enough off SH 299, and there are indeed hillbillies. Oh, and there is a Chan Buddhism monastery in Humboldt County, south of Eureka. Fede (or anyone interested) if you have a few months, and I mean that literally, I suggest making some reservations for Patrick's Point State Park, Whiskeytown National Park, and Burney Falls State Park, and see a sliver of Northern California. The drive from Eureka to Redding is absolutely spectacular, as well as Redding to Burney (minus the part where you drive by the scar left behind by the Fountain Fire of 1992). Burney Falls is awesome. Try and hike the Castle Crags trail if you have the time. Maybe, instead of camping on Whiskeytown Lake, you can houseboat on Shasta lake while you're in the valley. Just pack for some temperature differences. Humboldt Coast is cool and foggy through the summer, but Redding is hotter than hell (110+ in July/August, usually still peaking over 100 in September).
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Actually it's pretty easy to find, Bushi. It sits right along the freeway in what used to be an old motel. I think they have a map on their website. They're good people. The first time I visited there was way, way back in '73. Changed a bit since then...

Palzang
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Good luck there. You should eat some meat there though. LOL Those veggies will mess up your thinking every time.
  • edited March 2009
    Hi Goby, I'd really like to know what you are doing differently now than before. I've been reading and researching and meditating and practicing the Lojong slogans and whatever I can to learn about what it means to be a "Buddhist"--because I know it's my path.
    So, without sounding naive, how are you "practicing" now that is different than before? What has made the difference?
    Cindy
    Nebraska
  • edited June 2009
    GOby,
    I am touched deep with in when you have sworn to become a buddhist. A buddhist doesn't necessarily mean red and yellow robes. Mind is what makes a real buddhist. Tashi Delak for your becoming a son of buddha. Hope eternal bliss blesses you with great realization.
    And try seeking for a permanent guru or teacher as a requirement for enlightenment? Best of luck. I am late to respond owing to my late registration with this forum. Take my apology.
    Wish u all the best!

Lhoden Gendun Chophel

Thank you for the kind words. Happy Saka Dawa to you and everyone else. I have become a bit "lazy" about my practice. Time to start getting more serious, and that's why I'm here today. Oh, its so easy to be a "great" Buddhist when life is going well, but difficult when you experience a house fire, hospitalization, death of a pet, etc, also known as LIFE. But the funny thing is that my practice helped me get through a very rough Jan- May 2009. Bhutan seems like such a fascinating place. I have many facebook friends from Nepal (all Sherpas) and love to chat with them.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Good to hear from you again, Goby.

Palzang
  • edited June 2009
    Goby,

Beautiful! Everything you've typed is inspiring and heart-warming.

All the very best to you!

Love,

xx