Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

On Compassion ( for China ? )

edited March 2008 in Buddhism Today
As buddhas are my constant friends,
Boundless in the benefits of merit they bring to me,
How else may I repay their goooodness,
But by making living beings happy?

By helping beings we repay the ones
Who gave themselves for us and plunged into the hells.
Should beings therefore do great harm to me,
I'll strive to bring them only benefit.

The Way Of The Bodhisattva --Shantideva
(6, 119-120)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    There was never any question in my mind whether I should or should not develop Compassion and Loving Kindness for 'China'.
    First of all, I think we can safely say that the Chinese populace is fed as much propaganda and distorted information as the rest of the world. It's how the Government controls the masses. So I could never, and have never, held the Chinese people per se, in any way responsible for what is happening, or for what has happened in the past.

Secondly, if a monk, newly released from a prolonged period of imprisonment, held by the Chinese, can say that "In all this time, my greatest fear was that I would lose my Compassion for the Chinese." who are we to argue?

Hate the deed, and not the do-er.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Nowhere within the sutras nor in the gospels do I find that the practice of benevolent compassion is to be extended to political systems or, even, nations.

For decades now, I have been offering prayers for the Chinese people alongside the Tibetans, whilst finding the system under which they are obliged to live repulsive.