Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kabbalah ?

edited July 2008 in Faith & Religion
Does anyone have any thoughts to share. I've been invited to attend a workshop early next week. I'm afraid to take on more material than I can handle these days.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2008
    My own thought is that the study of Kabbalah is an advanced mysticism - or, at least, it used to be, until Madonna et al. turned it into a fashion accessory. One can now, apparently, study it without any knowledge of Hebrew or understanding of mishna and midrash. Personally, I would prefer to spend a weekend shovelling manure rather than attend some money-spinning nonsense.
  • edited March 2008
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • edited March 2008
    Iawa wrote: »
    Does anyone have any thoughts to share. I've been invited to attend a workshop early next week. I'm afraid to take on more material than I can handle these days.

You did not say how familiar or not you are with Kabbalah. If you know little or nothing, start with this little book by Daniel Matt; excerpts from which are here: http://www.spiritsite.com/writing/danmat/index.shtml

He is also the translator of the first complete translation of the Zohar in english. Stanford U. publishes it. Of the 12 volumes, 4 have been finished; taking one through half of Exodus.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Will wrote: »
    You did not say how familiar or not you are with Kabbalah. If you know little or nothing, start with this little book by Daniel Matt; excerpts from which are here: http://www.spiritsite.com/writing/danmat/index.shtml

He is also the translator of the first complete translation of the Zohar in english. Stanford U. publishes it. Of the 12 volumes, 4 have been finished; taking one through half of Exodus.

12 volumes of the Zohar and the snake-oil merchants pretend to teach it in a few weekend workshops.

The same is true of Dzogchen, of course.

So many people want instant 'enlightenment' - so sad. The work itself is the joy and the enlightenment.
  • edited April 2008
    they lost me in a recent email stating

bullet points from the ten elluminations of God are

God created perfection
    You and I are part of that perfection
    We inherited the DNA of God, and we said, "Hey, you know what, we want to also create perfection."
    God put up a curtain, and created imperfection so that we could create perfection again.

Sorry, but I ain't buyin' it!
  • edited June 2008
    There has been a surge in the interest in Kabbalah I agree that Daniel C Matt Is doing a very good translation of the Zohar. but most people will not understand it anyway. The current teachings on most Mystical traditions are trying to teach you to emulate the enlightened masters of the past. This is a silly and futile exercise. If you do not understand the language (and what words do we have for the ineffable?) then how can you see what can not be seen? Trying to act like the enlightened ones in order to attain the unattainable is akin to acting like you have the symptoms of a dis-ease in order to get the dis-ease. Not going to happen. I will leave you with one little tidbit to think about...a thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters will eventually type a version of the truth......but I do not want to be the one who has to read through all of that manure to find it!!! (props to McKenna)
    Bright Blessings to you
    Mike
  • edited June 2008
    I've seen a diagram the that shows that Kabblahs path of development is in line to intersect with Christanity and will merge to a new branch altogether.
  • edited June 2008
    Thanks Iawa,
    I found in a pretty in depth search of the "real" Kabbalah that I came away with a realization that, for me, it was the equivalent of "Zen...with God". Not such a bad thing to be sure.
    _/\_ Gassho
    Mike
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited July 2008
    I studied Kabbalah a decent amount back several years ago, but I certainly can't claim any sort of expertise. It is an interesting subject matter though, at very least. I would agree with the recommendation of Daniel Matt. For a more critical and technical expositions into Kabbalah and Jewish Mysticism I would recommend Gershom Scholem. There's also a good book by Rabbi David Cooper called God is a Verb that I'd recommend.

You may also find a couple of threads by myself and Elohim on the subject of Kabbalah and Buddhism. You'd have to search for them.

Btw, nice seeing you around, Mike. Hope your practice is going well.

metta
    _/\_

p.s.- did a couple quick searches and found the threads I was referring to:
    Mine-
    http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1979

Elohim's
    http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2501
  • edited July 2008
    Another excellent guide is this 3 volume, topically arranged translation & study - Wisdom of the Zohar:

http://www.littman.co.uk/cat/tishby.html