Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karmapa XVII Coming to US

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited May 2008 in Buddhism Today
I just found out today that Karmapa XVII is coming to the US May15-June 2. This is what is called a Big Deal in Tibetan Buddhism. This will be His Holiness' first visit to the US since taking rebirth 22 years ago. As one who had the great fortune to meet Karmapa XVI, please understand that this is no ordinary lama. He will be visiting New York City, Seattle, Boulder and Karma Triyana Dharmachakra in Woodstock, New York - his seat in the US. If you have the opportunity to meet him, please take advantage of it! For me, it was life-changing. Go to http://karmapavisit.org/ for details.

Palzang

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Such a visit will be a great blessing. I met His Holiness the Karmapa in 2001 and would agree with Palzang that he is an extraordinary person.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    ...Any planned visits to the UK?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Not that I know of, Fede. You can check out the website though. Maybe I missed something.

You're quite fortunate, Simon! There is something quite extraordinary about the Karmapas. They're called the Lions of Buddha, and the name really fits.

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    Not that I know of, Fede. You can check out the website though. Maybe I missed something.

You're quite fortunate, Simon! There is something quite extraordinary about the Karmapas. They're called the Lions of Buddha, and the name really fits.

Palzang

It was a week after I had been blessed to spend 3/4 hour in private audience with HHDL. The astonishing thing to me was that they both said much the same to me. In HHDL's words: "Lord Buddha is my door; Lord Jesus is your door". His Holiness the Karmapa, after giving me a teaching on bodhicitta, looked straight into my eyes and right into the very heart of me and said, through his interpreter of course, "You must follow your Master. He knows the way and you must listen very carefully to his words." Neither of them appeared at all surprised that I could find myself in a place where the words of both the Tathagata and the Christ resonated for me.

On a lighter note, I had taken a couple of US friends whom I had met at Rewalsar to the public audience. One of them, an academic and a lesbian, came out and said to me: "he is just so beautiful. I think he could turn me with that smile."
  • edited March 2008
    It was a week after I had been blessed to spend 3/4 hour in private audience with HHDL. The astonishing thing to me was that they both said much the same to me. In HHDL's words: "Lord Buddha is my door; Lord Jesus is your door". His Holiness the Karmapa, after giving me a teaching on bodhicitta, looked straight into my eyes and right into the very heart of me and said, through his interpreter of course, "You must follow your Master. He knows the way and you must listen very carefully to his words." Neither of them appeared at all surprised that I could find myself in a place where the words of both the Tathagata and the Christ resonated for me.

Thank you so much for that, Simon. Things happen when they happen for a reason and your words comforted me when I was feeling a little bruised from an attack by a rather self-important person (who obviously knows sooooooooooo much more than these two masters).

If TWO His Holinesses can say that, I don't mind being dismissed as "not worthwhile as not Buddhist" by someone with their head up their bum! :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    Forgive me for muscling in, but Thich Nhat Hanh is coming here in August....

In case the URL doesn't work for everyone, ehre's the actual link:

www.interbeing.org.uk/2008_Thay/
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2008
  • edited March 2008
    federica wrote: »
    Forgive me for muscling in, but Thich Nhat Hanh is coming here in August....

In case the URL doesn't work for everyone, ehre's the actual link:

www.interbeing.org.uk/2008_Thay/

Hee hee being held at Friends' House! I wouldn't mind going to the one in August in London - anyone else?
    edited March 2008
    Well, if there are tickets left, I'd love to go!
  • edited March 2008
    This is getting to be a habit - have to admit that, apart from HH the Dalai Lama, this is my favourite Buddhist writer.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to try and attend the boulder event in May. I'll be cutting it close, getting back from SoCal a few days before, but if I can go, I want to go.
    edited March 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    Thank you so much for that, Simon. Things happen when they happen for a reason and your words comforted me when I was feeling a little bruised from an attack by a rather self-important person (who obviously knows sooooooooooo much more than these two masters).

If TWO His Holinesses can say that, I don't mind being dismissed as "not worthwhile as not Buddhist" by someone with their head up their bum! :lol:

You know the really difficult thing, Lady of the Skein? It is keeping clear of all the accumulated rubbish around the Christ message. Buddhism is a bit less cluttered with imperialism and "inerrancy" and that sort of crap.

Actually hearing the words as they were spoken. Taking the time and sitting humbly. The Karmapa's teaching on bodhicitta and how it connects with the message of the 'indwelling Christ' is so alien to so many who call themselves Christian, just as the stark message of unconditional love and liberation for the outcast and our duty to them sometimes seems to upset some Buddhists - this just makes it harder.

It is one of the blessings in my life that I have found not one but two Christian anam cara who have not only deep understanding of the wider scriptures but, in both caes, have spent time with both Bede Griffiths and Thay!

It is also a blessing that I have been accepted here, in the NewBuddhist family, with all my "off the wall" notions and puzzles.

Even if I am still to be convinced (or unconvenced, for that matter) that there is some sort of 'god' who takes a personal interest, I know for sure that thyere are people who do and, at last, that is more than enough for me.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    I've always believed, Simon, that if Jesus were to come back and start teaching the same thing he taught the last time around, most Christians would consider him to be a dangerous radical and shun him (or worse)! It's kind of strange that you can find more understanding of Jesus from a couple of Buddhist lamas than you can from most who claim to follow Him!

That's great about Thich Nhat Hanh coming to your area, Fede. I've heard him speak, and it's well worth going to.

Hey, Bushi, maybe I'll see you in Boulder! I may be able to go up and see him. We'll see if I have any money. Tell you what, I'll wear my uniform and you wear yours and then we'll be able to tell who each other is!

Palzang
    edited March 2008
    I very well might be able to wear mine. I'll see.
  • edited March 2008
    Well if this is going to be a game .... I'll wear a Quaker bonnet to the London do so everyone can recognise me!

I don't have my RAF uniform any more :(
  • edited March 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    I've always believed, Simon, that if Jesus were to come back and start teaching the same thing he taught the last time around, most Christians would consider him to be a dangerous radical and shun him (or worse)! It's kind of strange that you can find more understanding of Jesus from a couple of Buddhist lamas than you can from most who claim to follow Him!

Palzang

That is true Pali - most of the original teachings of the Nazarene have been so distorted that no one in the organised religions would recognise it.

I am a fuzzy ole bear who equates "love thy neighbour as thyself" with universal compassion and "my religion is kindness" ........... I can't see any difference between the two.

Getting the sleeves rolled up and getting out there and doing something about the problems around us (in our little corner) seems to be the best way of putting that into practice.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2008
    Can we clone you? :)

Palzang
  • edited April 2008
    Aw bless you Pali - a world full of fuzzy ole bears .... one big endless picnic together - let's work on it!
    edited April 2008
    Pally, do you know how much tickets are going to be? I need to know so I can save up. Plus, I will need to order in a hurry, as I'm going to Ft. Irwin shortly, and won't be back until about 10 days before. Hopefully the event doesn't fill up before I can get tickets.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2008
    I dunno, I haven't seen anything about tickets. The last time I looked at the website they hadn't confirmed the place it's supposed to happen yet.

Palzang
    edited April 2008
    Same here. Well, hopefully there are still tickets available in mid may.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Hey Bushi,

I just heard that the tickets for the public event in Boulder just went on sale and they're already down to just balcony seats available. Best hop on the website and see if you can get one before they're all gone!

Palzang
    edited April 2008
    Palzang, pray for me, because I won't have the money until I get back.
    edited April 2008
    Interesting that HH the Pope is also taking a US trip and will be visiting the White House - although he has snubbed the President over a birthday dinner in protest at the Iraq adventure. I haven't seen that the lineage holder of one of Tibet's most ancient line of tulkus, a courageous young refugee from Chinese occupation has received his invitation to
    Pennsylvania Avenue yet - has it been lost in the post?

Or (can it be true?) the Administration doesn't dare take the risk? After all, the Vatican doesn't hold Treasury Bonds or, at least, not in the same quantity as Beijing.
    edited April 2008
    Yes, well, let's be fair though... Not only did The Government award this 'young Tibetan refugee' the Congretional Medal of Honour, Bush did make a speech not long ago, urging Bejing to 'cut the crap and meet the guy' holding him up as a shining example of humility, kindness and benevolence....
    so, inspite of my misgivings about Bush, i-no-knocki... :p:D
    edited April 2008
    Fede, I think you mean the Presidential Freedom Medal. The CMH is strictly a military honor.
    edited April 2008
    federica wrote: »
    Yes, well, let's be fair though... Not only did The Government award this 'young Tibetan refugee' the Congretional Medal of Honour, Bush did make a speech not long ago, urging Bejing to 'cut the crap and meet the guy' holding him up as a shining example of humility, kindness and benevolence....
    so, inspite of my misgivings about Bush, i-no-knocki... :p:D

I was referring to H.H. the Karmapa during his U.S. visit.
    edited April 2008
    Oh.

Poo.
    edited April 2008
    Well, still, the President hasn't met with either, and the Freedom Medal is still a high honor, the highest a civilian can recieve.
    edited May 2008
    Pally, I won't be able to make it. I found out my brother is going to be in town that Sunday. I haven't seen him in a while, and he just had a new daughter. He'll only be there for a night and day, so I'm going to visit while I can.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, me neither. All the tickets are sold out, and I'm up to my gills in work. Oh well, when the karma is right...

Palzang