Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Your epitaph?

edited May 2008 in General Banter
Arising from a conversation I had with the Old Feller yesterday - what would you like to appear on your tombstone / as an epitaph?

I asked himself and he said - just one word "Generous" (which went to my head a bit and I had to go and lie down)

So - your turn!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    ...."To be Continued......"
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2008
    There is one epitaph which still makes me cry:

"Glad did I live and gladly die,
    And I laid me down with a will.
    This be the verse you grave for me:
    Here he lies where he longed to be;
    Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill."

It's from a poem called "Requiem" by Robert Louis Stevenson and, as he requested, is written on his headstone on Mount Vaea in Samoa.
  • edited April 2008
    That's a favorite of mine as well. :)

Someone once posted the epitaph of a friend, who passed away, that is actually on her headstone. I think it is one I might like as well.

"The greatest testament to the life I have lived is that some very beautiful people loved me."
  • edited April 2008
    My friends have recommended this one for me in light of my sometimes comedic, competitive nature....

"I died before you did! I win!"

I'm not so sure about that one, so I think I might go with this one instead...

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

I always liked John Donne. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Gonna have to put some thought into this one...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    How about.....

BOO!
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited April 2008
    I want the world to remember me as someone who served. Perhaps "He served, because he believed". Hopefully, I'll make a difference, if just a small one, in this lifetime.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2008
    i
    do not
    truly
    EXIST
    solely constituted by myself.

therefore, on many'a stone is carved:

My All I give to all that is pure and loving
    And I, each spring, AM REBORN in the new green grass,
    green blades worshipping golden,
    warming orb that bringeth forth rainclouds
    to refresh, and dews
    to bud forth between teeming jubilant grasses.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2008
    All in all, I'd rather be in Philadelphia...

Palzang
  • edited April 2008
    Palzang wrote: »
    All in all, I'd rather be in Philadelphia...

Palzang

W C Fields! (can't say as I have never been to Philadelphia!)
    edited April 2008
    What about Byron's epitaph for Castlereagh?

Posterity will ne'er survey
    A nobler scene than this.
    Here lie the bones of Castlereagh.
    Stop traveller,

and piss.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    W C Fields! (can't say as I have never been to Philadelphia!)

Very good! Although in actuality Mr. Fields' tombstone has no epitaph on it. This was just his proposal for his epitaph (and it's not an exact quote anyway).

Palzang
  • edited April 2008
    I personally don't care what is on the marker...as much as whether or not it's fitting to even have one. Sometimes, I say 'dump me in a hole, no box and spend the money on a good, drunken wake instead'. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have the remains turned into a gemstone, a pink diamond, and pass it along to my kids (better than ashes in an urn). And then there are times when I think the Romans had the idea. The roads leading into Rome basically were lined with memorials where travelers could sit and rest. Having spent many a lunch on the road, I found that old gravesites were ideal places to sit. I'd like to have a nice 'rest stop', replete with a loo and vending machines, and picnic tables.

Don't know what kind of epitaph that is. LOL!
    edited April 2008
    I've actually specified in my will that I would like (in this order):

A sky burial....
    or to be given to science.....
    or to have an ecological burial (legal here in the UK)
    or just find a black biodegradable bin liner and an ocean-going voyage to somewhere.
    I want the least possible fuss.....
  • edited April 2008
    no burial, no epitaph

but at my memorial service I want disc six of TNH Retreat on Mindfullness played.
    Force everyone to hear a darma talk.
    It finishes with a vietnamese death song, with whispered english translation between lines.

Two lines of which are:
    There is no birth and death,
    Life and death is but a hide and seek game.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Two lines of which are:
    There is no birth and death,
    Life and death is but a hide and seek game.
    LOVE that!

After much thought, profound reflection, and advice from various family members, I've finally decided upon:

Wherever you be
    Let your wind blow free.
    For keeping it in
    Was the death of me.
  • edited April 2008
    :lol::lol::lol: LOVED that
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Great! So it's settled.
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2008
    :lol::lol::lol: LOVED that

Me too!
  • edited April 2008
    And when I'm dead, and in my grave
    A flashy funeral pray let me have
    With six bold highwaymen to carry me
    Give them good broadswords, give them good broadswords and sweet liberty

Six pretty maidens to bear my pall
    Give them white garlands and ribbons all
    And when I'm dead, they will speak the truth
    He was a wild and, he was a wild and a wicked youth

The Newry Highwayman - Traditional
  • edited April 2008
    Love that, always had a fondness for pirates and highwaymen (who are only landlocked pirates after all)

Love the poem The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes.
    edited April 2008
    Love that, always had a fondness for pirates and highwaymen (who are only landlocked pirates after all)

Love the poem The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes.

There speaks the Cornish-woman!
  • edited April 2008
    Got me there m'ansum
  • SuzSuz
    edited May 2008
    How about the epitaph on the Great Spike Milligan's stone? It says...'I told you I was ill!'

Hee hee hee!

Speaking of grave yards we had a rather amusing bitter/sweet experience recently. My hubby sadly lost both his parents , Jessie and Ron last year and they were duly cremated, but due to administrative hold-ups they weren't interred till recently. We had been told that because the ash interment area of the graveyard was a conservation area (it's in the village where Sir Isaac Newton grew up and had his 'apple' enlightenment) Mum and Dad -in -law were to be both sprinkled in the same grave, no caskets allowed. Which was fine by us; they'd be together again and it's very eco-friendly.

But when we got there for the interment, we discovered the funeral directors (who weren't there) had sealed shut their caskets! Hubby's brother muttered something about getting them open and went back to the car as the vicar arrived carrying a spade for earth sprinkling. We updated her as to the situation just as brother-in-law arrived back from his car carrying a hammer and chisel! The vicar's face was a picture of horror and you could see the possible ghastly scenarios passing through her mind! Then quick as a flash she said 'We'll leave them in their caskets'. However, the prepared hole was too small for two caskets, so she handed hubby the spade and said 'How's your digging?'
    Hubby ended up digging another grave next to the first and we were able to bury them together, but separately, which was nice. On the question of who went in which grave, I suggested we put them in on the sides they slept, so they'd be comfortable, Jessie on the right, Ron on the left. This was agreeable to all and now their remains lie at last in a beautiful ancient churchyard, covered with wild flowers.

Of course, being a Buddhist I can't be sure Jessie and Ron were watching this performance (at least 6 months after their passing). Part of me hopes they were though...they'd have had a jolly good laugh at us!