Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Tattoos

edited August 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I was just thinking about something. What are the thoughts about Buddhists having modern tattoos? I realized that I had never really thought about it. I know when I'm getting one done it's a form of meditation for me. Well, at least in my mind it is. It helps me focus on being there in the moment, looking into the pain and overcoming that suffering. Maybe I need to remember this in my current situation. Anyways, I was just wondering what our wise Elders here on the board think.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    Golly....If I had tatoos to keep me mindful and in the present, I'd be Lydia the tatooed Lady!!
    As it is, I do have 8 of them....
    I see exactly what you mean, too..
    They are wonderful 'tools' to concentrate the mind, and most valuable....

Think further.... can you actually 'remember' the actual pain itself?
    We can remember it WAS painful. We can even remember the type of pain it was, and the after effects whilst it healed....
    But the physical sensational memory of the Pain doesn't exist. We can't put ourselves in THAT pain, again.
    It's gone.
    Past.
    Passed.

Much like any 'pain' we experience at the time, and how agonising it may have been in that moment.
    We can remember how painful it was, and wasn't it awful?
    But to try to actually re-awaken that pain, to cast our minds back and to re-ellicit the sensations, is a silly exercise... it's foolish, takes up our mindworking unnecessarily, and just sends us spiralling into unproductive, unskilful and Mind-less machinations...
    Stay with it.
    Hold in to it, and feel it now...
    But allow it to heal, allow it to pass, and admire the 'design' it has left in your life.
    Even things born of Pain are apt to be lessons in beauty.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2008
    I've got a tattoo also, a Dharma tattoo, a dakini mandala (Sengdongma). Jetsunma said it was OK to get a Dharma tattoo because it can help purify body karma. As for the pain, I guess I have a high pain threshold because it didn't seem all that painful to me (it's on my arm). I can't imagine getting one just to experience the pain though. There's certainly no shortage of that in the world. If you really want pain that bad, go get a root canal!

Palzang
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Well, I have two so far, with at least two more planned. Probably more after that. I'm kinda with pally on that, each one has special meaning in my life, and as I progress, the combined whole will tell my life's story in it's own way.
  • edited July 2008
    Hey folks... For my next tattoo I have been on a quest to find the Brahmi script of the Asokan Minor Rock Edict 3 (from nearby Bairat, I understand). I cannot find a picture or transcript of it anywhere - maybe someone here can help me out.

In particular, I'd like to see in the original script the line "You know, reverend sirs, how great my faith is in the Buddha, the Dhamma and Sangha," and, specifically, the words "Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha." I believe this is the only reference to the Three Jewels together in context in the any of the edicts. Is it perhaps also the oldest known existing inscribed/written version of the Jewels? The first known "edition" of the concept, if you will?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2008
    Please remember that some poor nurse is going to have to look for a vein through all of your body art. I was thinking about this as my nephews were getting theirs done. I hope I don't have to find a vein on them 50 years from now. This just goes to show you that your actions now affect others. But then, the nurse is probably sitting in front of a computer now thinking only of themselves and their work load also. So who's karma is the most messed up from this?

Scotta, I used to live in San Rafael! I miss the area so much.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited July 2008
    Jerbear, I learnd the lesson regarding finding veins the hard way. The answer, go to the gym, regularly. I was in Combat Life Saver recertification when someone couldn't find a decent vein to initiate a saline lock and IV injection, and blew two veins trying to get the catheter in. Not because of body art, but because my veins didn't bulge enough to find easily.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2008
    Actually I've been able to feel veins on little old ladies and get them first try. Everytime I see someone covered in tattoos, I wonder if they have thought what they will look like in 50 years. My dad's panther stayed good until his death. But some of the elaborate work I've seen make me a tad curious.
  • edited July 2008
    um, from what i've seen and got the detail blurs out with age, like the mind some times.
    I've been trying to work out how to cover one just recently, just not sure which way to
    go with it. And each time I think I have it I think "kidneys"
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2008
    why kidneys, I must ask.

So people are going to go around looking like they have some skin disorder? They all seem to green to me.
  • edited July 2008
    well there clean the hang on yes
    "The kidneys are complicated organs that have numerous biological roles. Their primary role is to maintain the homeostatic balance of bodily fluids by filtering and secreting metabolites (such as urea) and minerals from the blood and excreting them, along with water, as urine."From Wikipedia
    had to check there! so I was kinda going with ink particles would be looked at like minerals abit?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2008
    I thought you meant the tattoos looked like kidneys. I've seen many tattoos in my years in nursing, and some were really cool. I would get one, but not sure what is in the needles or ink. I have a metal allergy that I don't want flaring up.

Some tattoos darken and get this greenish black looking color. It's not that the skin is harmed, but when I've seen people these days with tattoos that are extensive going up the arms and the legs, I wonder what it will look like in 50 years. If I find there is no problem, will probably get a celtic knot as I think they look cool.
  • edited August 2008
    Jerbear wrote: »
    Some tattoos darken and get this greenish black looking color. It's not that the skin is harmed, but when I've seen people these days with tattoos that are extensive going up the arms and the legs, I wonder what it will look like in 50 years. If I find there is no problem, will probably get a celtic knot as I think they look cool.
    um im still tell the kids not to bother. i regret getting mine as i have 2 which i no longer want on top of not wanting any more real case of want/over come want at this point in time.
    I.M.H.O. when you work out if the metals with you or against you wait 50 more years then reconsider once more.
  • edited August 2008
    புட்த தர்ம சன்க
    buddha darhma sanga

I used an online translator, I can only hope it's right.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2008
    Of course it's right! Can't everyone read Brahmi?! (oy!)

Palzang
  • edited August 2008
    ok folks... i found the asokan edict that contains the oldest known existing reference to the three jewels and obtained a translation with the current imperial brahmi font. it was a much more complicated quest than i thought it would be. not sure how to attach a file/image, though. metta, sa
  • edited August 2008
    Oh, I'm so glad to hear it! I did ask my teacher, he said he'd had to learn Brahmi at some point in his education, but never used it again. He thought he still had the textbook somewhere, but had never unpacked it from the last move and refused to turn his basement upside-down to find it!

I don't think he really enjoyed learning Brahmi script.... he said he never really wanted to see it again!
  • edited August 2008
    here ya go! per E. Hultzsch (Inscriptions of Asoka, Calcutta 1924, p. 173): "It is known (vidite) to you (ve), Sirs (bhamte), how great (avatake) is my (hama) reverence (galave) and (ca) faith (pasade) in the Buddha (budhasi), the Dharma (dhammasi), and the Samgha (samghasi)."
  • edited August 2008
    Hi scotta,

great information. I remembered someone was looking for Brahmi script at eSangha and wanted to
    insert there the information you gave. But checking now there I just saw: it was YOU
    So you found what you needed written in Brahmi?
  • edited August 2008
    I'm thinking of getting a small Superman logo on my arm. Of course, the Son of Krypton was a well known buddhist :)
  • edited August 2008
    hi ShinMeiDokuJoh... yes, it was me. cast a wide net, eh? and yes, after much searching, i found exactly what i was looking for. so many helpful people, form universities, to monasteries to the pali text society. neat part is that after a year, three different sources on three different continents came through suddenly and one the same day. it was very odd. and very pleasant.
  • edited August 2009
    I also have a tattoo on my right arm it is my name.
  • edited August 2009
    Im glad you asked this question. I already have a few tattoos but id really like another one...

Im thinking about getting the tibetan ''om'' or ''om mani padme hum'' in tibetan on my right wrist but im worried it might be offensive.

I know in Buddhism its near impossible to generalise, but i really dont want to offend any one if i get this tattoo...

so can anyone give me their opinions as to whether generally its ok to have tattoos of mantras etc ? is it offensive ? and aside from the obvious places - like feet - is there any where ''buddhist'' tattoos shouldnt go ?

I know in the jewish tradition ( of which im kind of a part ) ANY tattoos are a big no no and especially tattoos of scripture... since theres a rule about the written name of god never being destroyed/ torn up etc or put in unclean places ... is it the same in buddhism ?

sorry to hijack your question but it seemed silly to start a whole new thread :)

Namaste ...
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited August 2009
    Channah108 wrote: »
    Im glad you asked this question. I already have a few tattoos but id really like another one...

Im thinking about getting the tibetan ''om'' or ''om mani padme hum'' in tibetan on my right wrist but im worried it might be offensive.

I know in Buddhism its near impossible to generalise, but i really dont want to offend any one if i get this tattoo...

so can anyone give me their opinions as to whether generally its ok to have tattoos of mantras etc ? is it offensive ? and aside from the obvious places - like feet - is there any where ''buddhist'' tattoos shouldnt go ?

I know in the jewish tradition ( of which im kind of a part ) ANY tattoos are a big no no and especially tattoos of scripture... since theres a rule about the written name of god never being destroyed/ torn up etc or put in unclean places ... is it the same in buddhism ?

sorry to hijack your question but it seemed silly to start a whole new thread :)

Namaste ...

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> There are many Buddhist that are completely covered in tattoos, in the Thai tradition it is quite normal to get tattoos. I personally think the issue lies within intention. If you’re mainly doing it for looks then this is probably wrong. You would be adding to ego and a sense of self. The monks who do the tattoos do it for spiritual reasons such as having the Dhamma with them all the time and for Kamma reason such as Palzang has stated. If you want to get a mantra tattooed on your body because you believe in the meaning and wish to have it with you, I see no problem with this. <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I have also seen tattoos that complete cover the hands and wrist on monks, so no I don’t think its offensive.

<o></o>
    A few examples of Buddhist tattoos.
    <o></o>
    2914964090_3571784192_o.jpg

<o></o>
    2774559640_76ed381e7b_o.jpg

<o></o>
    2510216437_a6be40d27f.jpg

<o></o>
    673336026_66ba19cdfc.jpg

<o></o>
    2535360571_fd8804aec1.jpg

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ***Edit*** I found a picture of a monks wrist and hand that is tattooed for you
    Tattooed_Monks_Hand_by_khunsam.jpg

• edited August 2009
    great point re motivation, kenny (and thanks for the pictures). my decision to have the three three jewels (specific text provided in an earlier post) tattooed on my arm was simply to create what amounts to a "mobile altar" that would be with me at all times. that's all. a focus point, like a statue or candle... i chose asokan brahmi because i wished to have the "first edition" (or earliest known) text, as it were. sa
  • edited August 2009
    wow !! such amazing pictures !! :) Although Im not planning to go to those extremes ! :)

Its a really really good point that was made about intention. I already have the chinese sign for chi, and a ying/ yang that I had done years before i even knew what Buddhism was... which i find a little wierd..

If i get this tattoo - it will be because I believe in the power/ strength of the mantra or om .. and also i guess as a kind of reminder of all the wonderfull things Buddha and many others after him taught ... and for the kind of person i want to be ...

but im still getting my head around Buddhist beliefs and traditions and all I really have to work with are my jewish traditions ( which absolutly forbids tattooing and destroying gods name etc ) and my recent hindu beliefs ... oy - its confusing !

I do understand about not doing it for looks ... i remember how annoyed i was when madonna and posh spice etc started getting tattoos in hebrew, or with jewish / kabballah signs etc ... theres a part of me - i guess the jewish side that associates jewish/ hebrew tattoos with the holocaust .. and to me madonna and poshs tattoos felt disrespectfull some how...

its silly really - when all it is are markings on your body ... but i guess i was worried about causing the same kind of offense to Buddhists...

I do think those tattoos look beautifull though ... now all i have to do is convince my other half not to freak out when i get one !!!
  • edited August 2009
    There is a saying in my tradition "intention is all" which I have often found means that even if you are not technically adhering to what is considered "right" or appropriate, as long as your heart is pure and your motivation comes from a pure heart, then whatever you are doing is good.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    The pictures remind me of an old Japanese story about a blind lute player, Hoichi, who took up residence at a Zen temple near a famous battleground in Japan where one army had been completely annihilated. Hoichi would entertain the monks at the temple with beautiful songs about the battle and the aftermath. One night, after everyone had gone to bed, Hoichi heard the clanking of armor and someone approaching his room. The gruff voice of a samurai warrior addressed him and said that his master, a powerful lord, was encamped nearby and had heard of the beautiful songs played by the lute player. He asked Hoichi to accompany him so that his lord could enjoy the songs in person.

Hoichi accepted and followed the samurai out of the temple. After some time the samurai told Hoichi to sit and play, which he did. He sang beautifully and soon he heard the sound of crying and wailing coming from the audience, so he felt that he must be performing well. After he finished, the samurai led him home, with the great thanks of the lord and an invitation to come the next night to continue the story of the great battle. This went on for some days until the master of the temple, having come to Hoichi's room late at night on some request, found the room empty. After some time he saw Hoichi approach and bid farewell to someone the master could not see.

The master said nothing to Hoichi, but the next night he sat outside his room and watched. After some time he heard Hoichi talking to someone and soon came out of his room and set off into the night. Again, no one was visible to the master, so he followed Hoichi to see where he was going. After some time they came to the site of the battle where there now stood a large cemetery holding the slain warriors from the battle. At each of the tombstones a small flame burned in the air - the lost souls of the warriors. Hoichi sat down, played his beautiful music, and after an hour or so set out once again for the temple.

The next morning the master went to Hoichi. He told him that he had followed him the previous evening and what he had seen. Hoichi became frightened. The master also told him that these were demons, and that when Hoichi finished his tale that night, he would be torn to bits by the demons. This frightened Hoichi a great deal, and he begged the master to tell him what to do. The master told Hoichi to remove all his clothing, and he and the other monks painted the text of the Heart Sutra over Hoichi's entire body to protect him. The master then cautioned Hoichi that when the demons came for him that evening that he should say nothing and move not a bit or he would be immediately torn to bits.

That evening Hoichi sat in his room fearful and shaking awaiting the dreaded visitors. They came as usual calling for him, but he did not answer. He heard many footsteps enter his room, and they continued to call for him as they searched the room. Finally one of them cried out, "Aha! I do not see Hoichi, but someone has left his ears here for us!" With that, the demon seized Hoichi's ears (which the master had neglected to cover with the sutra) and tore them from Hoichi's head. But remembering his master's warning, Hoichi kept silent, though the pain was unbearable. Finally the demons gave up their search and left, leaving poor Hoichi writing in pain.

The master rushed in after a few moments and found Hoichi with his bloody ears. The wounds healed, and Hoichi did not lose his hearing, but afterwards he gained considerable fame as the blind, and earless, lute player of the temple!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Great pics, kenny!
    I find those tattoos so beautiful they took my breath away.
  • edited August 2009
    Oh what a terrible story Pali - there is a similar one told in the hills near where most of my family was wiped out in the battle of Culloden - but in our version it was members of the clan who needed the lament played for them and there were so few left to play for them. The spirits of our dead needed the pipers who were left to play them home - perhaps it is necessary to recognise good and bad spirits?

Or maybe it is our own perceptions that make them "good" or "bad" spirits? Maybe, like with humans, it is the way we deal with them that makes them propitious or not?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Terrible? I actually like the story a lot. It's one of my all-time favorites. It shows both the power of the Dharma and the imperfection of sentient beings all rolled up into one. Besides, Hoichi became a very famous musician as a result. I first read it in a great little book of Japanese ghost stories (Kwaidan) by Lafcadio Hearn, who was a wonderful author and teller of Japanese tales (he was Portuguese-American and lived in Japan for many years). Look him up if you want to read some excellent stories.

The story tells of the famous defeat of the Emperor Antoku in the great battle of Dan-no-ura at the straits of Shimonoseki, and the song that Hoichi sang is the famous Tale of the Heike. You can read the full story for yourself here. It was the end of the Taira (or Heike) clan and the triumph of the Minamoto (Genji) clan. On the beaches of Shimonoseki and nowhere else are found the Heike crabs - crabs which bear the facsimile of a human face on their carapaces and are said to be the spirits of the lost warriors. On dark nights pale lights (Oni-bi or demon fires) can be seen along the coast, and when the winds are up, the sounds of a great battle can be heard.

The whole thing is so evocative of the mystery of ancient Japan!

Palzang
  • edited August 2009
    Oh I am sorry Pali - probably not terrible - not in the spirit of the ancient Highlanders and the English.

For us, it needed the home spirits to pipe them home - which is not Buddhist in the sense that attachment to place ........... but for us it grounded all of us in a here and now sense.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I understand, Knitty. I find a similar feeling around the Civil War battlefields that are all over the place here, Antietam in particular, which was the bloodiest single day in American history with over 23,000 casualties. The feeling you get walking that ground is sometimes overwhelming. Just a great sense of desperation I guess I'd call it, of being cut down in the prime of life and still wandering after 150 years, looking for something that was lost forever. Ghosts of Civil War soldiers are frequently reported in these parts, particularly around the battlefields, which seem so quiet and peaceful now but which were once hell realms beyond imagining.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Yeah, I understand, Knitty. I find a similar feeling around the Civil War battlefields that are all over the place here, Antietam in particular, which was the bloodiest single day in American history with over 23,000 casualties. The feeling you get walking that ground is sometimes overwhelming. Just a great sense of desperation I guess I'd call it, of being cut down in the prime of life and still wandering after 150 years, looking for something that was lost forever. Ghosts of Civil War soldiers are frequently reported in these parts, particularly around the battlefields, which seem so quiet and peaceful now but which were once hell realms beyond imagining.

Palzang
    Some of the ghost stories of the Southern Civil war dead are, as I'm sure you already know, influenced by Highland culture because many Highlanders settled in the American South. It's fascinating. When I was in university I toyed with the idea of doing my Master's thesis on the Celtic origins of Southern American traditional music until I learned about all the other people who'd done just that before me. :(:rolleyes:

The movie "In the Electric Mist" with Tommy Lee Jones has some wonderful scenes with Civil War ghosts.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I hadn't heard of that movie, Boo. I'll have to check it out.

There is something mysterious about the South. Hard to put a finger on what it is actually. Maybe all the bad karma accrued by the institution of slavery, who knows? I do find it fascinating tho. When my brother lived in Charleston, SC, I loved visiting him so that I could wander around the old section of the city which has been beautifully preserved (mainly because the town fell on such hard times no one could afford to tear down the old buildings). I also have camped out on some of the Civil War battlefields around here, and it is something like what camping out in a charnel ground must be like. Both peaceful and disturbing at the same time, if that makes any sense!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    It makes perfect sense to me, Palzang.

And I totally understand what you mean about the mysteriousness of the South. I've always been fascinated by the ambiance and feeling of the South in movies and books I've read. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to actually go there. I want to see the Smokey Mountains and so many other things. I definitely want to go to New Orleans. I want to see places in West Virginia, Mississippi, and Tennessee. I know I'd have to live there for at least a few years to get a feel for the South and I'd really like to. Who knows? Maybe some day...