Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Today I wanted...........

edited April 2008 in Buddhism Today
Today I wanted to get a computer of my own ( I've been using my dad's and mine is at the house with the kids ). I thought about a MAC and started to price and look for the best deal. I even went through the action of going into the store to check one out in person, ya know get the full tactile effect. I left without getting one and felt quite alright about it.

That is until I got home and did some reading, and I felt guilty for wanting the commputer.

From The Way of the Bodhisattva
8: 18-19

Indeed,oh foolish and afflicted mind,
You want, you crave for everything,
This "everything" will grow and turn
To suffering increased a thousand fold.

Since this is so the wise man does not crave,
for from such craving and fear anguish come.
And fix this firmly too your understanding:
All that may be wished for will by its very nature fade to nothing.

Just sharing.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2008
    ....There's a difference between -

"I would like a computer of my own, because then I can store written teachings, files, references to Buddhist websites and anything to do with Buddhism, so that I may sit and access what I need in that moment, to learn what I might learn...I know that I will not be attached, as all things are ephemeral, and this too shall pass..." :type:

.....And -

"IwantIwantIwantmyowncomputerIdoIdoIjustgottahaveitIwantitiit'smineallmineandnobodyelsecanhaveitIgothaveitIwantIwantIwant!!!" :rant: :hiding:

OK....? ;)
  • edited April 2008
    Ho ho - difference between want and need.

I need a car for my job - there is no public transport. I don't need a Ferrari.

Huge difference.:lol::lol:
  • edited April 2008
    But you do *want* the Ferrari, right?
  • edited April 2008
    Engyo wrote: »
    But you do *want* the Ferrari, right?

:lol::lol::lol: Absolutely NOT. I have driven "old bangers" all my life except for once and am happy to continue that way. At least I have fewer worries - if anyone bangs into me it is just another scratch and no one in their right mind would ever steal one of my vehicles, they usually have a re-sale value of about 5$.

I need a vehicle to get from A to B ... and the only time I had a "nice" car, it got taken away from me, which served as a wonderful lesson in non-attachment.

But I am a "materialist" ..... I do a lot of sewing and I cannot resist a pretty bit of material if it is cheap. Complete acquisitive magpie materialist on that count.