Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

computer idiocy here

edited February 2009 in NewBuddhist.com
I noticed that Jason posted a lovely comment that was represented in part in a thread that then lead elsewhere. Where is that elsewhere? And how do we go about doing things like that?:confused:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2008
    The link was faulty.... or something was holding it up.... if you find the original post, it will now take you to the discursive thread.....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2008
    island wrote: »
    I noticed that Jason posted a lovely comment that was represented in part in a thread that then lead elsewhere. Where is that elsewhere? And how do we go about doing things like that?:confused:

You have to wait until the White Rabbit leads you to the right rabbit hole, and for our Queen of Hearts to release us into the garden glimpsed through the tiny door.

Thanks, Matt and Fede, for fixing the glitch.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2008
    You have to wait until the White Rabbit leads you to the right rabbit hole, and for our Queen of Hearts to release us into the garden glimpsed through the tiny door.

PRICELESS, kind Pilgrim!
    federica wrote:
    Go down to the Meditation Forum
    There's a sub-forum headed - front page control panel'. Click on that - it opens a page upon which you can write an article. this will appear on both the front or Home page, and appear in the forum as a thread, for people to respond to.
    Try that.....

It might work IF you're smart. IMO, for what it's worth, some techie is trying to point out all of us dummies. It's sort of an IQ test in sheeps' clothing. Or else it's just some computer or robot that's trying to get us dummies under its control or, worse, through base humiliation — trying to keep us properly humble.

But nevertheless, it's a wonderful thing. Who needs magazines anymore?
  • edited May 2008
    Now I'm really confused and my computer idiocy is showing. I meant that I didn't understand how to do what Jason did in that thread and wanted to learn about it. He posted the start of something and then you clicked and it brought you to a full long page in another place. So how does that work, in simple terms for someone who is not very computer literate?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2008
    Go down to the Meditation Forum
    There's a sub-forum headed - front page control panel'. Click on that - it opens a page upon which you can write an article. this will appear on both the front or Home page, and appear in the forum as a thread, for people to respond to.
    Try that.....
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I just want to know what happened to the Australian buddhists section???

holy mackeral.

cheers!
    edited May 2008
    Since Matt had a bit of a tidy-up, he might have put it in the cupboard under the stairs, or in the sock draw....
    drop him a line, I'm sure he'd be happy to dig it out and put it back, pride of place back on the book-shelf...
    No worries mate!

:D

;)

XX
  • edited May 2008
    Or I might have accidentally packed it in my suitcase! Who knows?
    edited May 2008
    Not.... your 'Mary Poppins Carpet bag' suitcase....?? :eek:

:lol:
  • edited May 2008
    That's the one .... but I now have a similar Gladstone bag as I am on my travels all over the UK. Hence flitting in and out when I can pinch ten minutes on someone else's pooter.

My darling potty Auntie Muriel sends love to all her one-removed Buddhist friends on line ... she doesn't have time to come and chat being too busy ferrying the "old ladies" around to meetings, spiritual talks etc (these old ladies are often ten years younger than her but less full of Light and Energy!)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I wish I could meet your Auntie Muriel. I really do.

I wish I could meet YOU, Knitwitch. Lol!!
  • edited May 2008
    She's wonderful and a real example to us all - if a bit dotty - I fully intend to take up the baton of energetic old bat when she finally reliquishes it ..... which at the current rate should be somewhere in the year 2030!

One day, Boo, one day :D
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2008
    Only staff can post on the main page like that, sorry. :)

The Australian Buddhist and other regional sections were all merged together a bit ago.
    edited May 2008
    I am staff.
    But that doesn't mean I'm not a dumb-ass....:D

Aaaaah dear....!!
    edited February 2009
    Whatever happened to the Ignore option we used to have?

We used to be able to put somebody on a list that kept us from seeing their annoying, worthless posts. It's a terrible thing to endure foolishness of the malignant variety.

Can we get that function back?

I do wish myself at least to remain on some semblance of good, restrained behaviour.

HELP!
  • edited February 2009
    omg if you did that here you'd be looking at a bunch of blank white squares.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2009
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the Ignore option we used to have?

We used to be able to put somebody on a list that kept us from seeing their annoying, worthless posts. It's a terrible thing to endure foolishness of the malignant variety.

Can we get that function back?

I do wish myself at least to remain on some semblance of good, restrained behaviour.

HELP!

the 'Ignore' function is accessed through your "User CP" tab at the top of each page, Nirvy.

As I have never yet used it, I am not sure what the effect would be. Does it mean that, in a thread, posts by the Ignored are simply not displayed? In that case one does not know if that to which one objected has ended. Or is the name, etc., displayed and, in place of the actual post, a message appears along the lines of "You have chosen to ignore posts from this member"? A definite temptation to curiosity in that case I imagine.
    edited February 2009
    Kind Pilgrim, THANX!

It used to be easier to do. I believe you used to be able to click right on a post and do it. But I'm glad it can still be done. I'm making a copy of your post and it will not be the first time, either.

If there is a God, may he bless you always!

I am so happy.

Many thanks.

EDIT: The only thing is, I'll have to log in each time I visit in order to be protected. Small price to pay, though. However hard to break my habit of not logging in may be, the rewards will be worth it. I must say, it's a bit ironic, though. One reason not to log in is just to read without adding my own two cents. But at least what I'd say would be worth two cents, which is better than not worth anything at all.

Yes, it is ironic, that in order to avoid CERTAIN garbage, I'll probably add a little more myself.

Well, as I always say, before taking my leave:

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do and if you do don't get caught."

My friends will then say, "Well, that doesn't leave me much."

To which I reply, "Well, one thing I would not do is say an unkind word to a friend."

There you have it. I'm not a totally useless person, afterall. Am I?