Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Storm and Earthquake

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited May 2008 in Buddhism Today
Just at the time that we getting hot under our collars about Burmese repression and Chinese aggression, disaster strikes and we are challenged to find, in our hearts and pockets, generosity towards both devastated communities.

The Buddha compared himself to a physician, bringing healing. It is at the heart of the physician's vocation and task to treat the patient in front of them, irrespective.

May we be as assiduous in our assistance to those we do not like and who are in need as we are to our friends. Without this we are empty vessels. No time here for politics, only for rolled-up sleeves and getting on with the job.

As far as I know, we have no mainland Chinese or Burmese members here but, should we have readers or not, my heart, my prayers and what I can afford (or, actually, a bit more) goes out to my brothers and sisters, my children and grandchildren who are suffering in the disaster zones.

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Gatha for Metta

When there is destruction and death,
    may all beings be relieved of suffering.

When there is no one to blame,
    may all beings be relieved of judgement.

When there is a lost mother and a crying child,
    may all beings be relieved of their tears.

When there is utter incomprehension,
    may all beings be relieved of confusion.

When there is no way to do anything,
    may all beings be relieved of their helplessness.

May the world and all beings be relieved from the suffering
    of pain and death, destruction and illness, fear and doubt.

May the world and all beings be free of danger
    and find safe harbor in the loving arms of compassion.

May compassion and hope bring together all beings,
    holding hands and holding each other
    in gentle lovingkindness.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    As if the news couldn't get worse for Burma, another cyclone is due to hit the very same area within 24 hours, though the storm is not as powerful as the last. I would ask everyone to participate, either by yourself or with others, in a global day of prayer for the victims of the cyclone in Burma as well as the victims of the earthquake in China (now over 12,000 dead and more expected) as well as all the other suffering in the world right now. In Sedona we're having a candlelight vigil at the Amitabha Stupa as the blessing power of a stupa is inconceivable.

Palzang
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited May 2008
    It breaks my heart to hear of these tragedies. I wish it were as simple as volunteering to participate in humanitarian aid for both nations. My prayers go out to them.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I'm with you all. Deepest prayers and wishes to all who are suffering from these natural disasters. The suffering must be overwhelming and even from this distance my heart breaks. It's at times like these when I wish I was a huge giant that could sweep all the suffering people up into my arms, comfort them and bring them to safety. If wishes were rainbows...