Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

An interesting photo...

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited May 2008 in Buddhism Today
This photo says it all, really. I don't know if it's already been posted on the forum, so if it has sorry for the duplicate. If it hasn't, take a good, close look. I have no reason to doubt its veracity but if anyone has any information that shows it to be a hoax or doctored in any way please let me know. It looks very much to me like Chinese soldiers receiving Tibetan monastic robes....

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2008
    It's getting an airing on a lot of fora at the moment, understandably, but there is a question as to whether this photo is contemporary or even recent.
    It's possible, (although I'm not certain) that it belongs to an older article, and has been published again.
    But it does nothing to improve the subject matter in any way, regardless of when, where and why this picture was taken.....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2008
    This article would seem to bear it out....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    That photo was taken in 2003 during the filming of a movie. They had asked real monks to be in the movie, but they refused, to they got these army dudes to dress up as monks instead. And you're right, Fede, this photo has been all over the place. Unfortunately.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for clearing it up for me, guys. Too bad. *sigh*
    edited May 2008
    "Too bad"....??:confused:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I had a feeling my post wasn't very clear. Lol!!

What I meant was it's too bad the photo didn't catch the Chinese military in the act of donning robes in order to discredit the Dalai Lama, his followers and the Dhamma in general. It would have been good to have photographic proof of what we all know happens when unrest occurs in Tibet; that the Chinese government sends in agents provocateurs to stir up trouble and muddy the waters. Know what I mean?
    edited May 2008
    WE all know a great deal of subversive, devious, underhand and untrustworthy behaviour is prevalent.
    In Government.
    Any Government.
    The problem is, the Chinese almost certainly have convinced themselves they are right.
    A vast proportion of the remaining global population disagrees with them.

But consider, now:
    The Chinese, in their hour of need, opened up their borders to international aid and thanked everyone for the help received in the wake of the earthquake disaster.
    In the meantime, Burma is still insisting on remaining isolated and has steafastly refused help from outside, for its desperate people.
    Who, in this case, is accruing better Kamma....?

Every country has its 'damned spot' that everyone else can point a finger at.
    And doubtless, yes, the Chinese may well be gulty of atrocious manipulation of facts and events... I'm delighted, in this case, that we are grossly mistaken.....

Just bimbling a few thoughts....;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    There was an interesting article in the New York Times which said that a lot of the victims of the cyclone in Burma are saying that the reason they are suffering so much is due to the government killing monks. Maybe, who knows? But it is interesting to remember where else they have been killing monks lately...

Palzang