Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Catholics Gone Buddhist

edited August 2005 in Faith & Religion
Hey guys. As some of you know, I was raised in a strict Roman Catholic family, tried out Protestantism, and then figured out I was an atheist Buddhist a few years back. I also noticed that many of you have also said you were raised Catholics or had been Catholic at some point.

My questions to you then are:

Do you think that the number of Catholic->Buddhist "conversions" is particulary high among Westerners (compared to other religions)?

Do you think this is mere coincidence if it is higher than other religions?

Do you think that there is anything about Catholicism that in some way helps practitioners to become Buddhist? Because it is so similar? Because it is so different?

How has Catholicism affected you as a Buddhist?

Are there any traditions you miss? Keep?

Feel free to ask your own questions, too. I'm just curious because it seems that several of us have had similar experiences and I'm kind of curious to see how similar. In some ways, I'm also trying to figure out myself.

Comments

• edited June 2005
    1. I think that America and other countries have just taken a renewed intrest in eastern cultures and the search for ancient wisdom is very appealing. Perhaps since Catholicism and Christianity as a whole is part of the norm and nothing really new to us, Buddhism seems exotic and progressive.

2. I have no facts to go by, but if it is higher in Catholicism, I would say it could be attributed to its centralized hierarchy in the Vatican. Many don't feel they have a say as to what goes on in the religion. Another thing is that the Vatican seems very distant to the west. Almost like its lost in a different kind of world and thought.

3. I would say it is similar and different. On one hand, you have the simplicity encouraged in day to day life and love and compassion is stressed in both. On the other, Buddhism can be more appealing since it does not contain all the 'dos' and 'don'ts' of many western religions and refreshing without all the commandments and such. But that's all up to individual preference too.

4. Since I am still in the transitional stage between Catholicism and Buddhism, it is hard to answer that one.

5. Since I have distanced myself from Christianity, I don't keep many traditions. I mean I still attend church with family but besides that, it's just Christmas and Easter.

A question of my own... For those who left Christianity and became Buddhists, is there one particular event or person that made you make the change? Or was it more of a gradual progression?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    To my mind, the biggest mistake is to separate and to divide in our minds, the sacred existence of the Human Soul and to say "I am this, but I"m not that." Gandhi said "God has NO religion.' It is only human beings who in the need to be right, divide and cionquer. I was raised Roman Catholic. I practise Buddhism. But I would never say 'I left one for the other.' Roman Catholicism did much to bring me to where I am today, by its' teachings. Some aspects were extremely beneficial and revelatory. Others did not sit well with me and showed me what to choose for myself, with unblinkered vision. But the inner message of Christ's teachings, the scriptures of St. Thomas and St.Paul are the words of the Buddha.... It's not the religion that one leaves, it's the controlling and insistent dogma of the "people in Charge" which alienates us. Christianity is a wonderful thing. It deserves reverence, attention and respect. it has much to teach us and guide us.
    Even the Dalai Lama sees not the outer garb of a person, be they Hindu Moslem, Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, Atheist or Buddhist. He sees the same thing as he is himself; a Human being. two eyes, nose, mouth, body....
    Let us not, as Westerners in a largely Western Christian Society, struggle against our social cultural upbringing, and background. If we 'hate' or 'resist' the influence of Christianity, we remain as bound and controlled by it as if we loved it. It is up to us, as individuals, to embrace, accept and revere other creeds, and to realise that they are just as valid, important and precious to others, as those we follow and hold dear, are to ourselves. Only then can we be an example, and make others see, without coercion or manipulation, that we can in fact all get along nicely, thank you.....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Roman Catholic (and Orthodox) practice and Buddhist practice are, in many ways, closer than Protestant/Buddhist practices, particularly 'deity Buddhism' such as the Tibetan:

* the monastic tradition
    * the rosary and the mala;
    * prostration and genuflection
    * beautiful ceremonies and the use of incense

But, over and above these, both Catholic and Orthodox have a long and honourable tradition of contemplative prayer. One of the abiding images that was planted in my mind by an article in Tricycle is that of Fr. Thomas Merton, in his white habit, and Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama, in his burgundy one, sitting together on the floor of the latter's room, meditating together!

A great deal of the Christian/Buddhist dialogue has taken place between monks: the Gethsemane Conversations, for example.

This is not to say that there is no Protestant dialogue. There is some very serious (and theologically technical) discussion going on. Masao Abe and his conversations with Calvinists like Moltmann is a prime example.
  • edited July 2005
    For those who left Christianity and became Buddhists, is there one particular event or person that made you make the change?

(Note: I was raised Anglican, which is as close to being Catholic as you can get without actually being Catholic. And I also married a Catholic.)

When my ex-wife and I split up, I was very depressed - more than the situation warranted. I came to realize that my suffering when beyond the sadness of the break-up. It was something else, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Anyway, during one of those long dark nights, I started to have what can only be described as a spiritual experience with a Christian flavour, which went something like "..Oh God, please forgive me, please help me, I am in your hands...". Then all of a sudden I slapped myself and said "Wait a minute, this isn't right...".

Something inside me told me that this was not the answer. It felt seductive, but I knew the answer to my problem was not here. Merely "giving myself over" to God/Jesus/whatever was not going to address the source of my suffering.

Then one day soon after, I found a book called "Entering the Stream" - I don't even remember why I chose it. But the story of the Buddha leaving the comforts of home and family to find his answer filled me with the resolve to do it too. The message "I did it - you can do it" really resonated for me. I am the master of my destiny. I got myself into this mess, and I can get myself out of it. Faith is very powerful for coping with suffering, but it cannot remove the causes of suffering.

That was 10 years ago, and I've never looked back.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    (Note: I was raised Anglican, which is as close to being Catholic as you can get without actually being Catholic. And I also married a Catholic.)
    That was 10 years ago, and I've never looked back.

This is interesting. Would like to understand whether have you encounter any difficulities or challenges delving into Buddhism? (eg family, friends, work etc)

cheers,
  • edited July 2005
    kinlee wrote:
    This is interesting. Would like to understand whether have you encounter any difficulities or challenges delving into Buddhism? (eg family, friends, work etc)
    Not particularily. My family and friends are mostly secular and have been pretty neutral. But is doesn't matter you see - I don't need their approval nor would I be discouraged if they disapproved. I am firmly on the path.

At work I don't discuss the subject and know one knows I am Buddhist. It's not a secret - I just don't advertise it. The only time was when my boss laughed at a Powerpoint file he saw on my laptop called "The Life of the Buddha". I just smiled politely and ignored him.

My wife has stated she doesn't understand Buddhism, but she supports me. I wish she participated, but I think it's better to get people's attention with the results - and many of them have commented that I seem much happier.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    My wife has stated she doesn't understand Buddhism, but she supports me. I wish she participated, but I think it's better to get people's attention with the results - and many of them have commented that I seem much happier.

I was born and raised in a Buddhist family. As a child I did not have interest with Buddhism. My Aunts sent me for Sunday Buddhism classes in a temple, I did not really appreciate it then. Many years passed, I went into Army and University spending no effort in Buddhism (More than 10 years). But at least, I am glad that basic Buddhism principles are an integral part me me. Interestingly, many of my friends (some good friends) and ex-colleagues are Christians and Catholics. Strangle, I don't know why but I wasn't influenced.

After resigning from a well paid job and a failed business venture, it gave me time to really sit down and seriously think about life. My mind was really at peace and harmony without any work interferences or pressures. Then, delving into Buddhism was so straightforward and clear. This was about 3 years ago and indeed it had changed my life. :)

I am into Pure Land, what about you ?

Cheers,
    Kin Lee
  • edited July 2005
    I am into Pure Land, what about you ?
    I am a non-denominational Buddhist, but my first taste was of Zen (like many Westerners). I am interested to learn about all schools, but my priority is to focus on the 4 Noble Truths, 8-fold Path and the 5 Aggregates.
    I am glad that basic Buddhism principles are an integral part of me
    It is interesting to me how the faith we were raised in influences us. I was raised Anglican, but never really felt like a Christian I was around 20. It is still a part of me today, and of course I live in a Christian society. We attend Salvation Army services as a family and I really try to be open to wisdom, whatever the source.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Sorry DK,

I saw the title of this and thought of that movie "Kentucky Fried Movie".

The title of this thread sounds like a B-skin flick: Good Catholic Girls Gone Buddhist!

Sorry... I'm weird.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Honey, I shrunk my karma!
  • edited August 2005
    I left the Catholic church because I was displeased. I didn't like the hierarchy, or the constant begging for money, or the "go to church or go to hell, no other options" attitude. I gradually fell out of it, not going to mass regularly.

When I chose to leave Christianity it was quite interesting. I was having severe pain in my body, crippled, laying in my bed, barely able to move. I heard from my past a line from so many church services: "Put your faith into God and his son, Jesus Christ, and you will be saved." "But why?" I thought, "What if I choose not to believe in Jesus Christ?" The same voice answered, "Then that will be fine too."

Jules

P.S. I'm still here, just incredibly busy. I won't be around much this fall either :( , but I still peak in and read every week or so.
  • edited August 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Sorry DK,

I saw the title of this and thought of that movie "Kentucky Fried Movie".

The title of this thread sounds like a B-skin flick: Good Catholic Girls Gone Buddhist!

Sorry... I'm weird.

-bf

No apology needed for weirdness. Or so my husband keeps telling me. Remember, I'm the good little Catholic girl that went Buddhist ;)

BTW, I will have to check that movie out.