Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

CON: Prince Caspian

bushinokibushinoki Veteran
edited November 2008 in Arts & Writings
I just got back from watching it. It was an outstanding movie all told. I love how they're handling the movies. Not quite true to all the small details of the books, but getting into character development so much more. My two favorite parts of the movie- Caspian refuses to kill his uncle, on the grounds he would be a different king than his uncle, and Lucy standing down the Telmarine Army with just a dagger in her hand, and Aslan by her side. It was worth the money I spent to see it in theater.

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I can't wait to see it! I really liked the first one and those books were hugely important in my childhood. I think the choices that have been made for the films were really good one, like casting, directing, production design etc. etc. I do miss some of the smaller details from the books, as you pointed out, Bushi, but all in all I think they've done a good job so far. Really can't wait to see Prince Caspian!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I took my friend's kid to see it, and I thought it was excellent. I've never read the books, but the story is great. I've read that the director toned down some of the Christian elements that were in the book, but Aslan is still Aslan!

Palzang
  • edited May 2008
    Most important influences on my childhood

AA Milne
    Beatrix Potter
    The Narnia Series
    J R R Tolkien

this is not counting the Just So Stories and the Jungle Book (not the films) and various Collected Myths and Legends of .....

Narnia was so real to me ..... still is I suppose - wouldn't be at all surprised if one of my dogs turned around and started talking to me

I didn't notice the "overtly" Christian message behind it until the last book The Last Battle - perhaps I was too young.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    One of my most important influences on my childhood was Winky-Dink (an old cartoon show where you got a piece of plastic to stick on the set so you could draw on it to help Winky-Dink out - and get exposed to mega doses of radiation). I think it explains a lot actually... :crazy:

Palzang
  • edited May 2008
    Saw it with wifey & friend. Pretty good, but I who like battles & combat, thought that 15 minutes of such could have be chopped out.

One moral of the story I took away is King Peter's charge to his army to fight for Narnia (the state) - he lost that battle. Finally he figured out that one fights for good King Aslan (divine nature) and thus won the war.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    Most important influences on my childhood

AA Milne
    Beatrix Potter
    The Narnia Series
    J R R Tolkien

this is not counting the Just So Stories and the Jungle Book (not the films) and various Collected Myths and Legends of .....

Narnia was so real to me ..... still is I suppose - wouldn't be at all surprised if one of my dogs turned around and started talking to me

I didn't notice the "overtly" Christian message behind it until the last book The Last Battle - perhaps I was too young.
    Ditto to your list, Knitwitch. For me I'd also have to add the lives of the saints, Oscar Wilde's, Hans Christian Anderson's and the Grimm Brother's stories for children and the Lucy Maude Montgomery stories (Anne of Green Gables etc.).
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited October 2008
    Well, the movie is coming out on DVD in December. So looking forward to picking it up and seeing it again.
  • edited November 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    I didn't notice the "overtly" Christian message behind it until the last book The Last Battle - perhaps I was too young.[/SIZE]

I'm currently reading the Narnia tales (done Magician's Nephew & L.W. & W.) to my little boy. He's nearly six and he adores them. They were an important part of my childhood and I saved my pocket money so I could buy all seven books. It's these old 30p paperbacks I'm reading to him now.

We're concerned that the DVDs may have too much combat for him, so perhaps we'll wait a bit on those. As far as the subliminal Christian message goes... a fine Christian they made me. Although I find I get all emotional when I read those bits, odd eh?