Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Summer plans?

edited April 2009 in General Banter
What are your summer plans?

I am going to Hawaii this week for 2 weeks. I love it there and want to move there. I snorkel and can go anytime of the year any day of the week. There are gorgeous fish and even sea turtles. There is a sangha there that I want to join when I move there. There is a University there that teaches Buddhist studies, Japanese, and lots of languages and philosophy. Plus believe it or not, it is actually less expensive than where I am living now.

After Hawaii I go on a writing retreat in the coastal mountains of Big Sur. There is a monastery there with trailers. The retreat will be in silence, except for when we gather to do our writing together. I am a poet and nature lover so I can't wait to have this retreat.

Then I go to Holland with a close friend and my housemate. The three of us have rented a house in Haarlem. I am writing a book on Amsterdam and will be finishing that up while there. I love Amsterdam and will be thrilled to share it with good people.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2008
    I gotta get a job... then maybe, I can think of crowbar-ing a holiday in somewhere!!
  • edited May 2008
    Good luck with the job search. This will be my last summer off. I plan to take full advantage of the freedom.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm painting houses over the summer. But when I'm not doing that, I hope to be riding my bike in the parks, writing a novel, and hopefully spending time with my [prospective] soon-to-be girlfriend. :D
  • edited May 2008
    I'm learning Chinese.
  • edited May 2008
    Cool. Sounds great.

Knight, what is your novel about?

Jacx, what is behind your wanting to learn Chinese?
  • SuzSuz
    edited May 2008
    We're going down to the north Cornish coast (UK) in August/ September in our elderly VW camper, Boris, to do some beach-bumming and surfing. We could be house-hunting, too because we've spent the last months readying our house to sell so we can move down there permanently.

Hawaii sounds great, Island! I'd love to see those really big waves there. And I love Amsterdam, too. The art gallery's fantastic.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    What's a holiday?

Palzang
  • edited May 2008
    Hi Island,

I'm learning modern Chinese this year, so that next year I can go to Hong Kong University to learn classical Chinese and Buddhist studies. My shirfu used to be a prof there and is helping me out with my plans and schemes (though he's about 65% convinced that the culture shock would send me scurrying home to Canada within weeks!).
  • edited May 2008
    That is way cool. I have much the same plan for Japanese. I took Chinese but didn't last all that long. I'm not musical at all and the tonal system was way beyond my abilities. But the characters were not hard since I had some familiarity with them from Japanese.
  • edited May 2008
    island wrote: »
    Knight, what is your novel about?

Well, I have written quite a number of short stories over the years, but now I think I'd like to write a big one. I was throwing around a couple ideas, but I think I've got one that I like. Lately, I have been reading a lot about the eugenics movements in the early 20th century. So I'm starting to write a story about what a eugenics policy would look like if applied to modern America. Namely; a federal agency that would issue marital and reproductive 'licenses' only to the most 'fit' members of society.

The story itself would be about a bureaucrat in the agency who finds himself fallen in love with an 'unfit' member of society.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited May 2008
    KoB, I like your style. I want a signed copy if you manage to get published.
  • edited May 2008
    Off to Hawaii. Swimming with the turtles. Take it easy.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2008
    I have a job....!!

:bigclap: :rockon:

I am going to be starting as a Manager to a quality Italian Delicatessen...

They're in St Albans, but are spreading their wings and venturing out and broadening their horizons....
    I'll be given the task of running the branch whilst the Manager-owner is going to be promoting the Franchise side of things and launching a couple of other projects too....

I start initially on a 4-day week, but hopefully, in a month it will be a full-time 5-day week.
    He never opens on a Sunday, so I'll still be able to teach my Qi Gong, and do my Dog Behaviourist stuff....! Kewel!!

Whaddya all think - ?!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2008
    federica wrote: »
    I have a job....!!

They're in St Albans, but are spreading their wings and venturing out and broadening their horizons....
    I'll be given the task of running the branch whilst the Manager-owner is going to be promoting the Franchise side of things and launching a couple of other projects too....

I start initially on a 4-day week, but hopefully, in a month it will be a full-time 5-day week.
    He never opens on a Sunday, so I'll still be able to teach my Qi Gong, and do my Dog Behaviourist stuff....! Kewel!!

Whaddya all think - ?!

Congratulations, Fede. Sounds great.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Oh, Fede!! That sounds wonderful! I'm so happy for you. And you'll probably get a discount on some lovely Italian delicacies. How totally great! Congrats!
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2008
    federica wrote: »
    I have a job....!!

Whaddya all think - ?!

Sweet! Congratulations Fede!
  • SuzSuz
    edited May 2008
    Congrats, Fede! That's fantastic. :) Ooooo, yum, I love Italian food! (I have Italian ancestors, so it's probably programmed in!)
  • edited June 2008
    I'm going to my dads in Arkansas theres not much to do there so im most likely gona get in some nice meditation. :om: :lol:
  • edited June 2008
    Back from Hawaii. On to a silent writing retreat in Big Sur which is the rugged coastline just south of me. I've read several Buddhist books and poetry in preparation. I recommend Awake in the Wild as a guide to wilderness meditation.
  • edited June 2008
    Welcome home Island - hope the writing retreat is all you wish it to be. Something I would love to do!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2008
    Well, it appears I will be going somewhere this summer after all. I was invited to come to His Holiness Penor Rinpoche's retreat in Upstate New York near Binghamton to help with the video. That means the retreat will be free for me as I'll be "staff". Someone at our Maryland temple donated some air miles, so I got a free flight too! It'll be my first opportunity to do the retreat, so I'm pretty excited. I'll probably be offline most of the time, so you'll just have to find some way to live without my pearls of wisdom! :D I leave the 4th of July and don't get back until late August.

Palzang
    edited June 2008
    May it be a truly fruitful time for you, Palzang-la, and of great benefit to all beings.
    edited June 2008
    can I borrow your rubber ducky whilst you're gone? :D

Pally, I'm really pleased for you. I hope you have a wonderful, fruitful and fulfilling time.

behave yourself and take a clean hanky.

And don't forget to wash behind your ears..;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2008
    Thanks, I just hope I'm up to it - especially if I have to live in a tent for a month! I'm trying to finaggle a room, but who knows if they have one available!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2008
    What a wonderful way to spend the summer, Palzang! I hope you have a wonderful and very fruitful retreat.
  • edited June 2008
    Well my wife and I are expecting our first child (it's a girl, Julia Kametani Wayne) within the next 2 weeks, so our summer is going to be all about learning to care for her. We're about 2 hours from Virginia Beach so we'll probably make a few trips down there.
    edited June 2008
    adam wrote: »
    Well my wife and I are expecting our first child (it's a girl, Julia Kametani Wayne) within the next 2 weeks, so our summer is going to be all about learning to care for her. We're about 2 hours from Virginia Beach so we'll probably make a few trips down there.

I am praying for a safe birth and a happy life. Congratulations. You are on the early steps of a brand new path, full of unexpected twists and turns. May you always find shade from the sun and shelter from the storm.
  • edited June 2008

I am praying for a safe birth and a happy life. Congratulations. You are on the early steps of a brand new path, full of unexpected twists and turns. May you always find shade from the sun and shelter from the storm.

Thank you Simon. I appreciate that very much.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2008
    Congratulations, Adam! What wonderful news! I'm so happy for you and your wife. Have a wonderful time with your little baby girl.
  • edited June 2008
    Brigid wrote: »
    Congratulations, Adam! What wonderful news! I'm so happy for you and your wife. Have a wonderful time with your little baby girl.

Thank you very much Brigid! 13 more days until the due date, we're getting more and more anxious everyday. I'll be sure to post some pics of her as soon as I can. Thanks again and I hope that everything is going good for you.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2009
    I'm getting ready for a ten-day excursion to London a month from now. It's been a long time since I've been there.

Being preoccupied with studies I'm not giving it a lot of thought right now, but plan to spend at least two days at the British Museum, plus see Rye, East Sussex, Cambridge, and a few other outlying places I've never seen before. I want to see Greenwich, too, just to have been there. Also plan to visit the Vedanta Center at Bourne End, where I've been before, and will just want to enjoy the stoical and intelligent English people.

Where do the Buddhists go? Anybody care to tell?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Where do the Buddhists go? Anybody care to tell?

Anywhere but England... (D'oh!)

Palzang
    edited April 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Anywhere but England... (D'oh!)

Palzang

You would be so welcome!:smilec::smilec::smilec:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Just kidding!

Palzang