Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Journey with the Abhidhamma

edited May 2010 in Philosophy
So many times I have heard someone say, "You have to read the Abhidhamma," and I would dutifully agree. Today I was in a bookshop getting some reading for my trip, scanning with slight boredom the Zen titles, when boom! There it was! The Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma, with the Pali text, translation, and explanatory guide.

I am taking a course on Buddhist psychology in the Fall, but I am curious now and thought I might make a little adventure out of it. It doesn't look like light reading.

I thought I would keep track of the things I discover as I go along, just in case anyone is interested or knows this text.

Comments

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2010
    island wrote: »
    So many times I have heard someone say, "You have to read the Abhidhamma," and I would dutifully agree. Today I was in a bookshop getting some reading for my trip, scanning with slight boredom the Zen titles, when boom! There it was! The Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma, with the Pali text, translation, and explanatory guide.

I am taking a course on Buddhist psychology in the Fall, but I am curious now and thought I might make a little adventure out of it. It doesn't look like light reading.

I thought I would keep track of the things I discover as I go along, just in case anyone is interested or knows this text.

please do

it is highly appreciated
  • edited May 2010
    Greetings Island,

Did you find anything of relevance to suffering and its cessation?

Should we infer anything from your absence to come back with any worthwhile findings?

Metta,
    Retro. :)
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    don't get frustrated with that book too quickly. there's some interesting stuff in there. a lot to question too.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2010
    i said 'please do'

is not that enough!

PLEASE DO
  • edited May 2010
    i think it's going to be quite the journey, island and it's kind of you to share. hang tough.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    island wrote: »

I would think twice before reading Abhidhamma filled with speculative stories which seem like later additions no more acceptable and valid than the commentaries or sub commentaries. Just my opinion :)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Have you read it, Deshy?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Little bit. :D Would you recommend me to read the whole thing?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    well?
  • edited May 2010
    No ;)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Sorry deshy, it's 6am and I've been sleeping. I've not read it. Haven't seen it online. But I will when I get the chance, and decide for myself whether to give it any weight or to treat it as an interesting piece of fiction. It just strikes me as odd to dismiss something, and to tell others not to even read it, when you yourself haven't. O.o
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I have read it Mundus. Only I stopped in the middle. Didn't complete it. But of course, By all means, read for yourself and see. But I would not recommend it to anyone. That is just my personal opinion as I already said O.o
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    If you want to get enlightened, practice. If you want to know what enlightenment is, study Buddhist philosophy, including abhidharma.