Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

hello again

The effects of spiritual enlightenment
Let’s talk about a topic which we have no concrete basis of which to speak.
What we feel is true
1) It is a state of being
2) It cannot be attained
3) There is no path to get there
4) We do not have words to describe it. It is ineffable
5) Our desire to “have” it leads us in the wrong direction
6) We do not know why we want it
What we feel it is not
1) It is not an experience
2) It is not “blissed out”
3) It is not compassion
4) It is not saving the world
So, great, what is it then?
It is what we are not?
Negation of self could be a possibility? Let’s try that.
“I” am not
1) An electrician
2) I am not Mike
3) I am not a musician
4) I am not a photographer
5) I am not the one thinking these thoughts (?)
6) I am not the one typing this
7) I am not the organism I see in the mirror
8) I am not any of the things I perceive myself to be
9) I am not born (?)
10) I will not die (?)
11) I am not a teacher
12) I am not a student
13) I am not “spiritual”
The list could go on but I think that it is necessary to take those on at a time in order to really drop the perception and be in it. I ask for guidance from the universal consciousness to lead me out.
The feeling of complete is necessary or not? What is complete? Is it a God given drive so we seek? It must be because it has no bearing in the survival mode of our existence. The reptilian cortex of our brain has no need for complete, happy, joyful or compassionate. Is there any fruit in climbing that tree? What would the fruit taste like if we got it? That is just another egocentric position allowing us to seek endlessly to satisfy needs that will not nor cannot be satiated.
Complete and whole are concepts spouted by religions bent on keeping you in bondage. Is that intentional or just unconscious ignorance? How do I keep from trapping the people I wish to help in the same cycle? Samsara is not a lifetime to lifetime thing. It is a moment to moment illusory prison shape shifting to meet our desires just enough so we don’t think we are trapped. I believe it was Joko Beck who said “you are busy hanging curtains in the prison and fooling yourself into thinking it’s not so bad here”. How poignantly true. If we look around at all the people we know, including ourselves, we will see the truth in this.
I am sitting here in a little wooden office built in the parking garage of the building I am working on. What a strange place to contemplate the validity of my life. I feel a bit guilty because I am sitting here while there are eight guys upstairs busting their butts trying to make the plan I laid out work. All the while I am here writing a diatribe on my little Ideas and perceptions about the world. I have thought on many occasions that I would just get up and walk away. Would it really matter? I like to think it would be devastating to my family, co-workers and employer but when I look deeply it would be rather insignificant. So the deeper question is should I follow that instinct? Is it coming from The One? How do I discern where my ego stops and “I” begin? David Carse (Perfect Brilliant Stillness) states that everything is exactly as it is supposed to be. So then no matter what I do it is the right thing, just so? How do I keep from giving my ego free reign with that? Service to others is an outward looking event because most of us do it with an agenda in mind. Destruction of the egoic mind is then the goal but I can make even that about me. It is a vicious trap and trying to find the “way out” is just digging in deeper.
Stop then! Just stop. “Be still and know that I Am God”……….
Thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to post negative or positive feedback either will be just as it should be.
Bless your heart
Mike

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2008
    Welcome back.
    It's nice to have you home again.

You've been a busy chap, haven't you?

Just drop all your baggage at the door, take the load off your feet, and come in.

Sit down, breathe, and have a cup of tea.

Hugs and metta,
    Fede.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2008
    Hello again, Mike.

A couple of years, isn't it? How time passes!

And you return with the via negativa - all we can say is what we can't say.

Are you finding happiness and its causes? I hope so.
  • edited June 2008
    Wow hello to all of you!
    I am so happy to find old and wise friends still here! I will be around again for a while. It will take at least a "day or so" to read all the posts I missed:rolleyes:

_/\_
    Gassho
    Mike
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2008
    I can fill you in...

Boy meets girl,
    Boy kisses girl,
    Boy loses girl
    Boy meets Buddha
    Boy learns a few things
    Boy get girl back
    Boy and girl enjoy it while it lasts.

The end.
    And the beginning.

Now, was there anything else?

:lol:
  • edited June 2008
    Hello Mike - welcome back - cup of tea and biscuits and would you take me to one side and explain all that again in four-year-old format?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2008
    Hey, Mike!!

Great to see you again! I love it when old members pop back in. It's fun.

I've only got one thing to comment on about your post and that's the part where you mention the destruction of the ego. I don't think destroying the ego is really a part of the Path. I think it's more about making the ego healthier than getting rid of it.

That's all I wanted to say. Welcome back again!!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2008
    It's good to hear from you again, Mike. :)