Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dating Advice?

edited August 2008 in General Banter
Let's be honest here, many of you have been around a lot longer than I have. And seeing as [some of] you are wiser than myself even, I was hoping to petition your assistance. :lol:

Namely, where exactly is a good place for a first date? Nothing overly romantic mind you, but a good place for two friends in which at least one of them would like to be more than friends. I've heard people advise going to the movies, but you can't really talk to a person that much during a movie. I was thinking something along the lines of going to the mall and going to some place to get a less formal lunch there. Nothing too fancy (or expensive).

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2008
    I think that wouldn't be a bad idea. Or take her to the zoo, or something, just to see if she has a warm feeling towards animals. Anyone who likes pot-bellied pigs and proboscis monkeys can't be all bad.

You can learn a lot about a person by taking them to the zoo....
    Or an art gallery.
    And actually, I'm being perfectly serious.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited June 2008
    I'd have to say that both you and fede have good ideas there. Most zoos are rather expensive themselves, but still, you can learn a lot from going to one.
  • edited June 2008
    Crikey - it is so long since I had to handle this kind of question .... how about an amusement park where you can get something to eat as well and see how her sense of humour is?

The zoo, great ,except if she is an anti zoo person .... many people disapprove of keeping animals in captivity. That would also tell you a deal about her principles.

How about a cheap meal and a nice long walk in some pretty gardens or a park ... plenty of time to talk.
  • edited June 2008
    Just remember to have something to drink with you. A dry throat goes with the territory.

Oh yeah, it's all suffering too - remember;)

Good luck!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2008
    Well, don't expect any pearls of wisdom from me on this. One of the reasons I became a monk was because I never had a clue how to work a relationship - or even much interest in having any!

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2008
    I bet you say that to all the girls.

That's how to conquer a female heart... be helpless putty in their hands....! :D

Yes, that was a joke..... :rolleyes:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2008
    KoB,

Ask her where she would like to go and what she would like to do.

When she speaks, listen to her.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2008
    federica wrote: »
    I bet you say that to all the girls.

That's how to conquer a female heart... be helpless putty in their hands....! :D

Yes, that was a joke..... :rolleyes:

Actually girls are attracted to the helpless bumblehead...aren't they?

Palzang
    edited June 2008
    For a while...probably until the novelty wears off....
    but I would neither call you helpless, nor, most certainly, a 'bumblehead'....
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2008
    Read a book by Neil Strauss called "The Game". It's about the pickup artist community. Take all the seedy stuff out of it and throw that away. The good parts of the book are good for what not to say to a girl and how to build confidence,
  • edited July 2008
    Read a book by Neil Strauss called "The Game". It's about the pickup artist community. Take all the seedy stuff out of it and throw that away. The good parts of the book are good for what not to say to a girl and how to build confidence,

Oh, don't worry. Confidence is my strong suit actually. If you ask my friends, they will probably say that I could use a little less of it. :D

Anyway, thanks for the advice, but I don't really need any of it at the moment. The girl I was interested in is no longer of interest. I can't be with someone who is into drugs or alcohol. I just can't. I have made a rather discouraging realization lately. I have numerous female friends, but the majority of them are heavy drinkers or are into drugs. :(
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2008
    You are welcome. I would still read the Game if I were you. It is a good look into the psychology involved in social interaction.
    edited July 2008
    I was going to ask you to define "into alcohol", but then I realized you're still in high school. That would more than likely mean heavily. I don't blame you. Being in combat arms, several of my battle buddies frequently ask me why I'm not going out and trying to get laid. They just don't seem to understand that I'm looking for a little more than a night's roll and some pleasure. There aren't that many girls out in the Springs that are what I'm looking for. Don't get discouraged, though. The right woman is out there, you just have to find where.
  • edited July 2008
    bushinoki wrote: »
    I was going to ask you to define "into alcohol", but then I realized you're still in high school. That would more than likely mean heavily. I don't blame you. Being in combat arms, several of my battle buddies frequently ask me why I'm not going out and trying to get laid. They just don't seem to understand that I'm looking for a little more than a night's roll and some pleasure. There aren't that many girls out in the Springs that are what I'm looking for. Don't get discouraged, though. The right woman is out there, you just have to find where.

I think "heavily" would pretty well describe it. I just don't have time for people like that. I work a lot, so in the free time that I do have, I would like to spend it with people who aren't drunk or stoned. I guess I'm just crazy like that. :o

Anyway, I'm not looking to find any girl anytime soon that I would like to court. I will keep my eyes open of course, but I don't think I'd really want to get married until some time during or after my time in the service.
    edited July 2008
    As far as military service goes, I suggest you develop a liking for beer. Not a heavy one, but enough that you can tolerate some alcohol here and there. It's pretty much an established military tradition. Some of our biggest events involve alcohol consumption.
  • edited July 2008
    bushinoki wrote: »
    As far as military service goes, I suggest you develop a liking for beer. Not a heavy one, but enough that you can tolerate some alcohol here and there. It's pretty much an established military tradition. Some of our biggest events involve alcohol consumption.

Yes, well let me survive the officer training first, and then I'll get working on my alcohol tolerance. :lol:
    edited August 2008
    I will admit, it can be fun to be the only sober soldier in the barracks some weekends. A lot of entertainment abounds, until the MPs arrive, of course.
  • edited August 2008
    Well, it can be fun to be the least sober person in a house full of people too! The rest of the week proved to be quite intolerable after that, though, which is why I have stayed away from drinking for some time now.
    edited August 2008
    I've had to join you in abstention lately. It seems like no matter how little I drink, I get a hangover anymore.