Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Feeling guilty

edited July 2008 in Buddhism Basics
The store where I currently work sells a range of pest control devices including rabbit traps. Today a customer asked me to demonstrate the trap and I pointed out that it is harmless to the rabbit who can then be released. After she went through the till she revealed that she intended to kill the rabbits so they wouldn't return. I felt really bad about this because I felt that I had somehow contributed to her slaughter plan. I asked if it was really necessary and she said it was (which I don't believe anyway). If she had told the truth sooner I might have asked someone else to serve her so the fault would not be on me.

I know I need to get a new job soon so this won't happen again.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2008
    First of all, what she does, is neither your fault, nor your responsibility. You sold her a humane trap, and she says she's going to kill the rabbits anyway. That's her reasoning and her decision. There's nothing you could have done to prevent her doing that.

A young chef posted on another forum that he finally asked his boss to relieve him of duties involving preparing oysters, because of the harm involved.
    His boss agreed.

You may have luck talking to your boss and asking him the same, but it's not a given.

You may want to change your job, that's your choice.
    But don't take the guilt with you.

It's not yours to take.
  • edited June 2008
    Don't be so hard on yourself, Windwalker! You had no way of knowing your customer's intention, and the trap you sold is not designed for harming creatures.

Anything can be used as a weapon - would you blame yourself if you'd sold her nylon stockings and then she used them as a disguise to rob a bank?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2008
    Windwalker,
    Windwalker wrote: »
    The store where I currently work sells a range of pest control devices including rabbit traps. Today a customer asked me to demonstrate the trap and I pointed out that it is harmless to the rabbit who can then be released. After she went through the till she revealed that she intended to kill the rabbits so they wouldn't return. I felt really bad about this because I felt that I had somehow contributed to her slaughter plan. I asked if it was really necessary and she said it was (which I don't believe anyway). If she had told the truth sooner I might have asked someone else to serve her so the fault would not be on me.

If it makes you feel any better, I think that your actions were blameless. You demonstrated the trap to show her how to use it properly to catch the rabbits alive in order to release them elsewhere. You did not do so with the intention to help her kill the rabbits, nor did you speak in favor of killing; in fact, it seems as if you tried to get her to change her mind. You did what you could do under the circumstances. She is the owner of her actions, not you. If she uses the trap in order to capture and kill any rabbits, it is her karmic debt to pay, not yours. While it might be a good idea to look for a new job, please do not feel needlessly guilty.

Best wishes,

Jason
  • edited June 2008
    Agree - completely blameless Windwalker ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

Don't worry - I suffer from "everything is my fault" syndrome sometimes too!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2008
    This reminds me of my job. I won't kill any bugs that find their way into the building. I always throw them into the trash or put them outside. Everyone makes fun of me but I don't care. The really make fun because I have a very violent attitude towards people but I won't harm a bug.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited July 2008
    Windwalker wrote: »

I know I need to get a new job soon so this won't happen again.

Now, if you need to get a new profession, I completely understand, but may I offer another perspective please? (i guess that question is kinda rhetorical). Being in that position you have the opportunity to steer people in the direction of harmless traps (whether they do or not). If you quit, then it is likely that the person who fills your position will not do so, and therefore you are actually doing good with your current profession.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

metta
    _/\_