Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mandala ?

edited October 2009 in Philosophy
One for Western Tibetans here.

As the mandala is the subjugation or conquest of the arena of arisen dualism, is it culturally appropriate to superimpose foreign iconography over that of European prototypes?

Kris

Comments

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited July 2008
    wha?
  • edited July 2008
    Magwang wrote: »
    wha?

Yeah, you're right. Don't worry about it. Just some stuff I'm working through at the moment.:-/
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited July 2008
    Kris, I think that trying to answer that question proves the nature of duality itself. Is it appropriate to try and keep a religion pure to its' roots in a foreign land, or is it appropriate to adapt it to fit a new culture?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2008
    bushinoki wrote: »
    Kris, I think that trying to answer that question proves the nature of duality itself. Is it appropriate to try and keep a religion pure to its' roots in a foreign land, or is it appropriate to adapt it to fit a new culture?

"How can we sing the Lord's song in a new land?"
  • edited July 2008
    Good points.

I think I was looking at this issue in a non-reformist way, insomuch as I define a reformist as someone who sets out some kind of new improved guidelines to replace the old.

Then people may argue about "purity" of teachings etc. if they wish.

If we step back from such considerations and just look at arisen duality - self and other - then the interdependent nature of the environment we inhabit becomes evident.

You were born from your mother and have aged and lead a life surrounded by people, places and events unique to you. This is dependent related, just as it is - the mandala of your 'dualistic' space. You have to interpret what you have in a way which strips away as much conceptual junk as possible.

When we impose some pre-determined formula upon this, it becomes the work of the intellect doing battle with reality.

I don't know if this makes any sense.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited July 2008
    srivijaya wrote: »
    One for Western Tibetans here.

As the mandala is the subjugation or conquest of the arena of arisen dualism, is it culturally appropriate to superimpose foreign iconography over that of European prototypes?

Kris

I'm not a Tibetan practitioner at all, but I would say yes, it is most definitely appropriate. While Tibetan iconography may have some roots in Bon, the psychological model it expresses is much more in line with the Buddhist teachings than western iconography. Now, perhaps it may be useful for individuals to incorporate their own ingrained symbolical archetypes into a Buddhist structure, but I would not think it would be a great idea to simply supplant western iconography into the teachings. I'm one of those types that believes that traditions should be practiced in as close to their original form as possible, until one gains enough mastery in that tradition to start making assessments as to what can be changed and what fits most closely with the essence of that tradition.

Just my 2 cents

_/\_
  • edited July 2008
    not1not2 wrote: »
    I would not think it would be a great idea to simply supplant western iconography into the teachings.

I agree, this would be a crass mistake and misguided to say the least.
    edited July 2008
    We are very early in the process of a spreading Western Buddhism but I would be very surprised if more non-Asiatic iconography did not begin to appear. Indeed, it would be unusual were it not so. The history of Buddhist spread has been one of assimilation and a certain syncretism. Buddhism appears to contextualise with ease, just as Christianity did - and still does.

The Dharma may be beyond culture but it expresses itself within a context.
  • edited July 2008
    The quasi-classical sculptures of the Gandharan culture come to mind. The Graeco-Buddhist kingdom located in modern Pakistan.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandhara

I once visited an exhibition of this art. It was rather interesting to say the least. Executed by Greek sculptors, so there is an historical precedent.

The Dharma can only have a direct and compelling meaning when expressed within a relevant context IMHO.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2008
    I agree. The Buddha taught different things in different way to different people for a reason. Although we are all humans and share our fundamental experiences, we do come from different places with different influences. So whatever gets the message through is all right, in my humble opinion.
  • edited August 2008
    I like mandalas.....................what was the question?
  • edited August 2008
    You can't "like" mandalas - it isn't something to collect or say "ahh that's cute". You are either the mandala, or you're not. It's what you have to find, because you are it always, whether you know it or not.
    edited September 2008
    srivijaya wrote: »
    You can't "like" mandalas - it isn't something to collect or say "ahh that's cute". You are either the mandala, or you're not. It's what you have to find, because you are it always, whether you know it or not.

Make no mistake: there are significant numbers who acquire thangkas of mandalas for their beauty. Of course, one could argue that a full appreciation of the art of the mandala is akin to the meditative but it would be pushing it a bit, I think.

One can make the same observations about Orthodox icons.
  • edited September 2008

Make no mistake: there are significant numbers who acquire thangkas of mandalas for their beauty. Of course, one could argue that a full appreciation of the art of the mandala is akin to the meditative but it would be pushing it a bit, I think.

One can make the same observations about Orthodox icons.

That's right Simon. Dharma tourists collect souvenirs, like malas, mantras, thangkas and all sorts of dusty stuff. I've met plenty of them who enthusiastically wave these odds and ends under my nose and tell me that I absolutely 'must-have' them.;)

Our house is cluttered with kids toys. More useful I think, as at least they serve a purpose.:doh:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Especially those cool mandala frisbees!

Palzang
    edited September 2008
    Palzang wrote: »

Palzang

Are these the Western version of prayer wheels? How beneficial to print mantras on them! Or does it only bring benefits if it's done the old way?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Actually I've never seen a mandala frisbee. I was just being silly. But I think it's a good idea! Yes, they would function like prayer wheels when they were spinning. The problem would be getting them on the ground...

However, there are other modern versions of prayer wheels. For example, I've seen people put billions of mantras on DVDs and then put the DVDs inside prayer wheels. I also have a lot of our texts stored on my hard drive as well as an external hard drive I use for backup. Whenever those disks are spinning, they're also functioning as prayer wheels. The possibilities are endless.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2008
    Palzang wrote: »

Palzang

I've watched gleeful dogs in parks leap into the air and catch them! Dogs, not Dogmas, note......:tonguec:
  • edited October 2009
    not1not2 wrote: »
    I'm not a Tibetan practitioner at all, but I would say yes, it is most definitely appropriate. While Tibetan iconography may have some roots in Bon.
    _/\_
    its the other way around.
    The modern Bonpo iconography is completely taken from Buddhist iconography that originated in India in the 8th century.
    The model of the role up thangka etc is a Tibetan cultural adaptation but the descriptions of the Buddhas and mandala's that they contain come from the tantras that were compiled in India and brought to Tibet.
    Any similarity in Bonpo imagery and practice is taken from Indian Buddhist sources.