Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Preserved Moroccan Lemons

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited October 2009 in Arts & Writings
Having recently started working as a Manager in an Italian delicatessen, I am really surprised by how often I get asked for this product! It's Morocc... Continue reading

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2008
    What a wonderful recipe! In my humble opinion, lemons are one of the most underused fruits which is a terrible shame because they're wonderful! Lemon (and lime, especially for Mexican food) adds amazing dimension to so many flavours, whether sweet or savory, and is also a wonderful palate cleanser which gives us the opportunity to really taste the food we're eating.

I used to get these marvelous slivers of sugared lemon rinds from a gourmet store in Montreal and they were great to eat after having something particularly sweet. In late summer and autumn I use Macintosh apples for this purpose (the best apple in the world bar none) but for the rest of the year you can't beat lemon slivers.

Thanks for the recipe, Fede! I knew we'd all benefit from your new job. :) Keep 'em coming because I for one am very interested in specialty foods and although I can't cook to save my life, my father loves to cook and I can always give him the recipes.
  • edited July 2008
    I never heard of this until I saw a recent tv show...some crazy cook that travels around the world. He was in Morocco and sampling everything there.

Spice in my Yankee home generally consists of pepper, and on occasion cinnamon or nutmeg. Guess it's time to walk on the wild side....;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2008
    We had a couple of favourite recipes threads running in the Lotus Lounge... I've got a few more up my sleeve, so perhaps, rather than hogging the front page, I might see about reviving them....:D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    I also have a wonderful recipe for lemons preserved in oil....

Slice a couple of lemons, and salt well, on both sides. Place on a tilted tray, to drain, for 24 hours. they will go soft and bendy, and lose their bitterness...
    Pat dry well, and sprinkle with paprika powder. Layer into a jar, and cover with very mild olive oil, or sunflower oil.
    Keep sealed for 2 weeks, then eat to heart's content, in whichever way takes your fancy! Even between two slices of brown bread, it's absolutely lush!!