Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what would you have said?

edited March 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hello all,

I may have mentioned already that I've taken over some of the informal "introduction to meditation" lectures from my very busy teacher. Last week, when I asked if anyone had any questions, I got: "What one aspect of Buddhist practice has influenced your day-to-day life the most?"

I replied that it was the commitment to not harming. Now that I've had time to think it over, I don't think I would change that answer.

But I'm curious now as to what other folks would say to that same question. Any takers? Oh, and feel free to substitute "spiritual practice" if you're not a Buddhist.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2008
    What a wonderful question. And how hard to find that 'most' when practice seems to have changed so much.

In my own life, I thought at first that it has been benevolence of mind. And then I realised that, even before that, what has changed the most over the past years has been the quality and intensity of attention.

When I look back at how I was even a decade ago, and then 20, 30 and 40 years ago, I see how my attention to myself, others and the world around me has changed. From that, all other changes have arisen.
  • edited July 2008
    Yes, - I was going to say all kinds of things but I think the Oneness of all things and people is what has caused the biggest changes in me. I am you, him, her, this rock, that animal, those trees ... which in return are me.

And from that come all other changes for me.
  • edited July 2008
    "I have always relied on the kindness of others."

When it comes down to it, it's been the kind acts of others that have left lasting impressions. Coming across mean spirits as well has only reinforced my appreciation of the preciousness...of kindness.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2008
    "Be Mindful and Simplify."

My new Bye-phrase.
  • edited July 2008
    One of the biggest life-changers for me has been abandoning attachment to expectations. I have rid myself of nearly all expectations I have, and I've never felt happier in my life. Following the same train of thought, the Dalai Lama summed it up nicely when he said, "If there is a solution to a problem, then why worry? And if there is no solution to your problem, again, why worry?"
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited July 2008
    Breathing. (which perhaps is synonymous with mindfulness or self-awareness...)

Concentrating on breath feels like the world coming into focus.
  • edited March 2009
    The Lojong Slogans...learning those have helped me gain insight into my dailiy experiences. They naturally just pop into my head at the appropriate time, offering a new way to look at whatever situation I'm in. They are a great reminder of my buddhist practice.
    Pema Chodron's No Time to Lose, A Timely Guide to the Way of the Boddhisvatta has also impacted the way I live...
    Cindy
  • edited March 2009
    "To seek the path is to walk the path"

Has impacted upon my everyday life in that practice and living became one. I came to understand that there is more than just sitting. Just living!