Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What should Israel do?

Israel is surrounded by people who wish its very existence were erased. Perhaps one of the biggest cheerleaders in the death-to-Israel fan club is Iran. Iran recently test-fired missiles and even claimed they were capable of reaching Israel. How charming.

Iran also continues to work towards its nuclear ambitions, and will undoubtedly be eager to get their hands on a nuclear warhead.

As Iran continues to not back down on its quest for nuclear weapons, Israel is in a tough situation. Do the Jews wait to be attacked first and risk losing millions of Israeli citizens? Or should Israel instead strike first and destroy all the nuclear research facilities in Iran, although at the risk of galvanizing the Middle-eastern anti-Israel crowd into a unified attack against Israel?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2008
    Israel is surrounded by people who wish its very existence were erased. Perhaps one of the biggest cheerleaders in the death-to-Israel fan club is Iran. Iran recently test-fired missiles and even claimed they were capable of reaching Israel. How charming.

Iran also continues to work towards its nuclear ambitions, and will undoubtedly be eager to get their hands on a nuclear warhead.

As Iran continues to not back down on its quest for nuclear weapons, Israel is in a tough situation. Do the Jews wait to be attacked first and risk losing millions of Israeli citizens? Or should Israel instead strike first and destroy all the nuclear research facilities in Iran, although at the risk of galvanizing the Middle-eastern anti-Israel crowd into a unified attack against Israel?

I have sworn not to get into any more discussions about the State of Israel. I must, however, say this:

I strongly object to the way in which both Jew and Goy confuse Israeli and Jew. Many a Jew is not an Israeli and v.v. By confusing the categories and 'spinning' Israel as being the same as Jewishness/Judaism, the whole debate becomes skewed.
  • edited July 2008

I have sworn not to get into any more discussions about the State of Israel. I must, however, say this:

I strongly object to the way in which both Jew and Goy confuse Israeli and Jew. Many a Jew is not an Israeli and v.v. By confusing the categories and 'spinning' Israel as being the same as Jewishness/Judaism, the whole debate becomes skewed.

I apologize. I realized this mistake while I was working today, and was going to correct that, but I see that you beat me to it. I recognize that many Israelis are Muslims/Christians, and other non-Jews. I won't edit my original post, but I do stand corrected.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2008
    Thank you, KoB.

As you may know, those of us of Jewish descent who are not 100% in favour of the Israeli government's behaviour and object to the actions of the army are often categorised as "self-hating" and even anti-semitic. A strange and despicable notion: after all, within our system, opposition is an integral part of democracy. Of course, we hear the same sort of rhetoric elsewhere when opponents of the hawkish adventurism of the US/UK cabal are accused of "anti-Americanism". But the label of 'anti-semitic' carries a great deal of weight.

It is vital that we stress that it is not anti-semitic to be anti-Knesset or, even, anti-Israel.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited July 2008
    Well, as for the national security of Israel, we KNOW the intelligence isn't faulty or overstated, so this is up to Israel. I'm with Simon on this, that Israeli politics are not my realm. We've seen how Preemptive strikes can turn out.

As for what it would do to the US, well, we would be drawn into a conflict between Israel and Iran this time. That's what it means for me.