Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Which country is headed in the right direction?

edited July 2008 in Buddhism Today
Boy, I'm posting a lot lately. I promise to cut it out.

But, hey, this surprised me ...

86% approval??

http://pewglobal.org/reports/pdf/261.pdf

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I hold no stock in popular opinion, much less world opinion. Harry Truman had even lower approval ratings than George W. Bush, but he was still a fine president. A good amount of gratitude is owed to him for stopping North Korean aggression.

But anyway, it is good to hear that the Chinese are optimistic at the very least. There seems to be a correlation with the softening of hard-line communism in China and its growing economy.
  • edited July 2008
    I hold no stock in popular opinion, much less world opinion. Harry Truman had even lower approval ratings than George W. Bush, but he was still a fine president. A good amount of gratitude is owed to him for stopping North Korean aggression.

But anyway, it is good to hear that the Chinese are optimistic at the very least. There seems to be a correlation with the softening of hard-line communism in China and its growing economy.

Very good assessment.

For my part, I would have said that the central government was hugely popular before I read the article, but I still found the numbers to be quite startling. And the finding that only 23% of Americans approved of the direction of the United States seems to be about right. [That number is on page 16 of the pdf.]

Even though Buddhists shouldn't have any trouble with the idea of impermanence, these results are so unexpected that it drives home--to me, anyway--the point that we can't deal with 21st century problems with 20th century mindsets. It's time [for me at least] to take another look at my current attitudes.

... And it seems like every time I read something about peak oil production or global warming, those 21st century problems are coming a lot sooner than I'd like ....