Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Incense

edited August 2008 in Buddhism Basics
I'm wondering about the role of incense in Buddhist rituals and practices. Is it used much and, if so, for what purposes? I'm imagining it's similar to how Christians light a candle for others who are not present and need to be remembered.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    What I was taught, in setting up a home altar/ making offerings at temple, was that we invite the Dharma in the same way that people used to welcome spiritual teachers into their homes.

They would give the traveler clean water with which to wash his hands and feet, bring him food and drink, light candles or lamps (back then, houses didn't have such big windows, and candles/ lamp oil were expensive), put out some nice flowers, light some incense to make the air smell nice, and maybe play a little music (a music offering is usually represented by a conch shell placed on the altar).
  • edited August 2008
    Hi, i thought id seen buddhist's with incense here are 2 little links after a quick look about, hope they helphttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_use_of_incense#Buddhism.2C_Taoism_and_Shinto_in_Asia
    http://www.japan-incense.com/

i also found this nice little morsell before it was lost:-

"(Buddhist value: Incense symbolises the fragrance of pure moral conduct and reminds us to cultivate good conduct)

Imagine that you are a stick of incense. Someone comes along and light up a matchstick. The person then uses the lighted matchstick and lit you up. Immediately, you are burning away.

As you are burning, your body gives off a lovely fragrant smell. This fragrance spreads through the air and brings joy and happiness to people's heart.

The person then offers you to the Buddha. You are being put into an incense pot. You stand happily in the incense pot because you know that you have an important role to play. Your fragrance symbolises the fragrance of pure moral conduct. And this reminds people to cultivate good conduct. This fragrance spreads in all directions throughout the world.

As you are burning away, you also remind people to try and burn away their bad, unkind or selfish thoughts. They should try to be like you, burning away their selfish acts and bringing fragrance and happiness to the world. Let every breath everyone breath out into the world be full of sweetness and love. Continue to spread your fragrance in all directions." quoted from http://www.buddhanet.net
  • edited August 2008
    Windwalker wrote: »
    I'm wondering about the role of incense in Buddhist rituals and practices. Is it used much and, if so, for what purposes? I'm imagining it's similar to how Christians light a candle for others who are not present and need to be remembered.

The word offering comes to mind.