Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gettin my mala beads.......

edited October 2009 in Sanghas
any suggestions of mantras.

I already have "Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha."

Comments

• JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited August 2008
    What have you used before that works? From my limited understanding, mala beads reminded me where I was when chanting. I got the coolest sets from Frizzer a few years ago and not sure if he's still around. But since your from Texas, do they have to be bigger beads? :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2008
    :lol:
  • edited August 2008
    I also got my Mala's from Frizzer. His are the best! :) I wish he was still around here, although I do see him on Facebook. I need to work on remembering mantras better. What does the one mean that you posted?
  • edited August 2008
    Jerbear wrote: »
    What have you used before that works? From my limited understanding, mala beads reminded me where I was when chanting. I got the coolest sets from Frizzer a few years ago and not sure if he's still around. But since your from Texas, do they have to be bigger beads? :)

Gettin' these 10mm grey one's from
    http://malabeadshop.com/grey-wood-mala-set.html

What does the one mean that you posted?

prajnaparamita mantra from the Heart Sutra
    "Gone, gone, gone beyond, gone completely beyond Enlightenment!"
    or
    "Gone, gone, gone beyond, gone completely beyond, all praise awakening!"
  • edited June 2009
    I realize this thread is almost a year old, but I’m new…so give me a break! :D That site he posted with the beads is awesome! It’s nice to finally have a decent set of mala beads. Now if I can just find the discipline to meditate regularly…

~nomad
  • edited June 2009
    Meditation can easily be an ongoing activity within one's conscious awareness. Just act mindfully in all matters, and when that's difficult chant the earlier listed mantra to yourself as you go about your regular activities. Chanting aloud has it's place, but silent meditation at anytime can help one reestablish oneself in the moment ( as opposed to losing oneself in "thinking off," or as I call it mental masterbation).

Metta
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2009
    nomad wrote: »
    I realize this thread is almost a year old, but I’m new…so give me a break! :D That site he posted with the beads is awesome! It’s nice to finally have a decent set of mala beads. Now if I can just find the discipline to meditate regularly…
    ~nomad

What a delightful post! What a lovely thread!

I wonder if someone had the grace always to be mindful and always to be helpful, friendly, and skillful —would not every syllable that one pronounced be sacred?
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Nomad,
    I am happy to see your pleasure with the mala. I deeply believe in the power of mantra recitation. It was not always so. But I was challanged to put up the books for a year and do recitation. Well I did but could not wait to return to reading. What a surprise awaited. Suddenly a whole new appreciation of what I thought I had known was right before my eyes.

grackle
  • edited June 2009
    Over the years I have collected different malas. I do not always use them, but there are times when I do, and depending on my mood I will choose different ones. I apologize for the focus..I took these on my phone cam. I happen to like the seed malas the best, especially the bodhi seed.

th_Bodhi_Seed-1.jpg

The Lotus seed mala is quite attractive, and I like the Tibetan knot on the guru bead.

th_Lotus_Seed-1.jpg

Last but not least, I have a very special Tibetan bone mala with turquoise and brass counters. There are meditation practices where our own death is used as an object focus, and the use of animal bone connects us to the reality of our death and thus the acceptance of the three marks of existence.

th_Camel_Bone.jpg
  • edited June 2009
    As for mantras, the ones I use most often are

(1) Om mani padme hum

(2) Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

(3) The mantra my Transcendental Meditation (TM) guru gave me when I was a small boy. This is rather silly in some respects, given that the whole Maharishi and TM craze back in the hippie days of the 60s and 70's was mostly a marketing scam hyped up by Beatlemania and all that, but I was only 11 or 12 years old at the time, and it was my first exposure to meditation training. I still revert back to that mantra on occasion, and it brings a smile to my face.

Oh, and I was sworn to secrecy over revealing my mantra, which was bogus since they lied to me about my mantra being unique to me. ROFL. It is assigned by age and gender, although there is some teacher discretion I am told. I remember at age 16 reading a story in Omni magazine which broke the news about TM and how they assign mantras based on a table. I knew at that moment I had been given a load of bunk by the guru. Welcome to organized spirituality! :lol:
  • edited June 2009
    Iawa wrote: »
    Meditation can easily be an ongoing activity within one's conscious awareness. Just act mindfully in all matters, and when that's difficult chant the earlier listed mantra to yourself as you go about your regular activities. Chanting aloud has it's place, but silent meditation at anytime can help one reestablish oneself in the moment ( as opposed to losing oneself in "thinking off," or as I call it mental masterbation).

Metta

There are times throughout the day when things become so hectic that I'm forced to stop and take a moment to relax and reflect. I'm not sure if I would consider it a full-on meditation, but I think that it's close to walking meditation. My problem with meditating right now is that I manage to create too many excuses as to why I don't do it (i.e. girlfriend needs attention, dog needs to be taken outside, have to finish a research paper, etc). I know that five minutes a day won't kill me, but it's just up to me to actually sit down and make that time. I'm working on it. :) As for the chanting, I really enjoy chanting because it gives me something to focus on beyond counting my breaths. When I DO meditate, I tend to get distracted, so chanting a verse over and over tends to keep me focused.

grackle wrote: »
    Nomad,
    I am happy to see your pleasure with the mala. I deeply believe in the power of mantra recitation. It was not always so. But I was challanged to put up the books for a year and do recitation. Well I did but could not wait to return to reading. What a surprise awaited. Suddenly a whole new appreciation of what I thought I had known was right before my eyes.

grackle

Thanks, Grackle! To be honest, I'm still on the fence about the long term beneficial powers of mantra recitation. However, I think that it's appropriate for someone like me, who is in such an early stage of developing my understanding of Buddhist practices. As I mentioned to Metta, mantras help to keep me focused during my meditation sessions. I realize that I may be using them for the wrong reasons, but I have to start somewhere.

As for mantras, the ones I use most often are

(1) Om mani padme hum

(2) Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

(3) The mantra my Transcendental Meditation (TM) guru gave me when I was a small boy. This is rather silly in some respects, given that the whole Maharishi and TM craze back in the hippie days of the 60s and 70's was mostly a marketing scam hyped up by Beatlemania and all that, but I was only 11 or 12 years old at the time, and it was my first exposure to meditation training. I still revert back to that mantra on occasion, and it brings a smile to my face.

Oh, and I was sworn to secrecy over revealing my mantra, which was bogus since they lied to me about my mantra being unique to me. ROFL. It is assigned by age and gender, although there is some teacher discretion I am told. I remember at age 16 reading a story in Omni magazine which broke the news about TM and how they assign mantras based on a table. I knew at that moment I had been given a load of bunk by the guru. Welcome to organized spirituality!

"Om mani padme hum" is a great one that I've used before. Also, the "Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha" mentioned earlier in the post. I found a great YouTUBE video and later obtained an mp3 of a chant to "Om Mani" which helped me through my first few chant sessions. I can't remember if it came from this forum or from Dhamma Wheel, but it's a great tune and a great mantra. Also, those are some beautiful mala beads! If I get a chance, I'll post a picture of mine on here soon!

~nomad
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Dear Nomad,
    I don't think you could be using mantras for the wrong purpose. As with so much of practice it reveals itself slowly. So when you test drive it as it were take lots of time. At the present time recitation of the six syllable mantra and dedication of merit after each period of meditation is what I do.

grackle
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited June 2009
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures has some mantras on it and recordings of it being chanted so you can learn proper pronunciation.
  • edited June 2009
    My mala beads...

~nomad
  • edited September 2009
    YogaMama wrote: »
    I also got my Mala's from Frizzer. His are the best! :) I wish he was still around here, although I do see him on Facebook. I need to work on remembering mantras better. What does the one mean that you posted?

Thanks Kim and Jerbear!
    It's been far too long since I last logged in!
    I promise not to wander off for so long next time :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Frizz!!!! :D

So happy to see you here again although I have been keeping up with your Facebook status updates so I'm not totally out of touch with the Frizzer universe. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    FRIZZER!!

Where the heck have you been, man??
    It's so good to have you back!

Missed you, sport!

I have to order a mala from you, I really must. Even if only to keep you around for a lot longer this time! :D
  • edited October 2009
    Iawa wrote: »
    any suggestions of mantras.

I already have "Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha."

Is that the Heart Sutra? It sounds familiar. I am a fan of Om Mani Padme Hum. Its the first one I ever heard and I like it. I also like Namu Amida Butsu it means "I entrust myself to the Buddha of Infinite Light and Life". "The attributes of light and life are understood as standing for great wisdom and compassion." I found it in an interview in Tricycle.
  • edited October 2009
    thanks sounds good