Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Teaching English

edited January 2006 in General Banter
Does anyone know anything about this subject? Or did anyone learn English (or any other language for that matter) through an intensive language program? Or KNOW anyone who learned English or another language this way?

Thanks bunches! :)

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I have been using a cd rom with audio to learn Chinese. It is good for the basics.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I have learned a fair bit of Dutch through spending time with a neighbor who speaks dutch. It is a slow process though:)
  • edited June 2005
    Oh yeah learning with one person teaching you has GOT to be slow! Although it's better to know a little than none! At least that's my language philosophy! I learned Spanish, want to learn another language and I want to open my own center to teach english to non native speakers so...hence the question. Trying to do a little research!

Comic which CD is it? Is it a good one? I'm always looking for a good language CD (personal use) I've yet to buy one though because I'm always scared it'll suck.

Emmak how long of a conversation can you hold now? :) That's really cool that your friend taught you!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    The cd I use is made by Instant Immersion.
  • edited June 2005
    I take Spanish in my High School. I take Spanish 2 next year and I enjoy it. But it is very difficult...trust me!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I can participate in a converstaion to a certain degree. I can get the gist of the conversation pretty well but still understand more than i can speak. I cannot read or write it though. that is just way too tricky as the alphabet letters have different values. My 18 month old undestands it and I talk to her in Dutch.
  • edited June 2005
    That is so cool that you can understand it! I understand the not being able to speak it though. Your daughter will definitely benefit from that.

Raven if you ever need help just email me! I'll do my best to unconfuse you! :)
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I'll be taking French IV next year, then AP (college-level) French my last year of high school. That's some hard stuff at times. :banghead: :bawling::o Hopefully speaking it exclusively for almost three weeks will give me an edge on the National Exam. :D
  • edited June 2005
    OOoh Sabine! I can't help you with that one but I have a wonderful friend who most definitely would! When are you going to be speaking it for 3 weeks? The AP test is definitely no joke! I love it when people take their languages that far! What are you going to major in? You definitely should pursue it since you've gone that far with it! Maybe one day you can work with me in my ESOL Center. That is once I get it operating! :)
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    suenos096 wrote:
    OOoh Sabine! I can't help you with that one but I have a wonderful friend who most definitely would! When are you going to be speaking it for 3 weeks? The AP test is definitely no joke! I love it when people take their languages that far! What are you going to major in? You definitely should pursue it since you've gone that far with it! Maybe one day you can work with me in my ESOL Center. That is once I get it operating! :)
    Good grief, Suenos, calm down! :bowdown: I appreciate your enthusiasm, though. :D
    a) I made a thread on it somewhere on the forums, methinks. Look around, you'll find it ^_^ Anyways, I'm gonna be studying in Paris from July 18-August 3 (so if I'm not online, you all know why).
    b) Yeah, I know--I feel bad for my boyfriend, he's taking FIVE AP classes next year :bawling: I only plan on taking two, during my entire high school career :P
    c) I dunno yet--don't even know where I'm going to college :o But some top ranked ones on my list:
    Duke University
    Georgia Southern
    University of Georgia
    Emory University
    Aaaaand, that's about it for now. But sure, I'd love to help you out in the future :D
  • edited June 2005
    :lol::lol: I love language can you tell? I just excitement at ANYONE trying a LITTLE bit. When people go that far it's great. Not to mention I'm a high school spanish teacher, not a native speaker, My BA is in Spanish, I'm getting my MEd. in Adult Education with a concentration on Spanish. I would LOVE to go to UF for another MA in Languages and Linguistics. My oldest has been at a Spanish Immersion school since he was in Kindergarten (going on his 2nd yr) so he understands it and loves it. So there's the background on why I was SO excited! :lol::lol::lol:
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited June 2005
    hi sueno,
    i'm studying japanese now(on and off).i speak indonesian,a little english, a little chinese and local dialect (sundanese)
  • edited July 2005
    suenos096 wrote:
    :lol::lol: I love language can you tell? I just excitement at ANYONE trying a LITTLE bit. When people go that far it's great. Not to mention I'm a high school spanish teacher, not a native speaker, My BA is in Spanish, I'm getting my MEd. in Adult Education with a concentration on Spanish. I would LOVE to go to UF for another MA in Languages and Linguistics. My oldest has been at a Spanish Immersion school since he was in Kindergarten (going on his 2nd yr) so he understands it and loves it. So there's the background on why I was SO excited! :lol::lol::lol:

One of my majors at UF is Spanish. My other major is Classical Studies (Latin). Then I have minors in education and linguistics. The linguistics department here is great. Actually, all the departments I've worked with have been great.
  • edited July 2005
    I teach english to international students.

What was the question again?
  • edited July 2005
    Darmah, I'm thinking about moving to the FAR west side of jax and ccommuting to UF for the Masters and Doctorate program in TESOL /ESOL at UF. I'm not quite sure that's going to work though with these 3 kids and the need for money. My b/f is also in school now too, although he gets money from his GI bill and work. It'll be 2 years before I go though. After I finish the degree I'm working on now. It sucks that UNF has only 1/4 of what UF has!!

BSF, have you taught in different countries? If so, did you need a license for that? Do you currently teach it? If so where?

Angulimala I would LOVE to learn an asiatic language. I might want to get immersed in it when I do learn. What is your first language?
  • edited July 2005
    suenos096 wrote:
    BSF, have you taught in different countries? If so, did you need a license for that? Do you currently teach it? If so where?

Suenos,

I will be teaching in South east Asia in Janury 2006 - ending up in Hong Kong by September 2006.

I have a CELTA (Certified Engish Language Teacher of Adults) from Cambridge University which is a vocational certificate. I could have got the degree equivalent (DELTA) but it really only means one extraa pound an hour!

I have been privately tutoring in Leeds, north England, but I have an interview for a job at a school down in Bournemouth, where I now live.

The biggest difference in TEFL and ESOL in England is that ESOL is state funded and has mixed ability classes and the TEFL (ELT) is private and has set ability classes.

Good luck with your University work!
  • edited January 2006
    So are you in the UK or Nihon? I lived in Asia for a stint and I will more than likely be moving back at some point and I am wondering what kind of compensation you can get for tutoring English. I am aware that in some parts of Japan like Ashiya you can make up to $40 an hour doing private lessons (don't know how many quid that is) . Also, did you find that there is a demand specifically for 'British' English? I know that some people in Japan make the distinction between US & UK dialects but I'm wondering if they pay more for it.:scratch:
  • edited January 2006
    beebuddy wrote:
    So are you in the UK or Nihon? I lived in Asia for a stint and I will more than likely be moving back at some point and I am wondering what kind of compensation you can get for tutoring English. I am aware that in some parts of Japan like Ashiya you can make up to $40 an hour doing private lessons (don't know how many quid that is) . Also, did you find that there is a demand specifically for 'British' English? I know that some people in Japan make the distinction between US & UK dialects but I'm wondering if they pay more for it.:scratch:

I'm in Nihon now - wrote that last post almost 8 months ago!

I'm not sure what you mean by compensation for teaching English - do you mean payment or accomodation?

I don't know about demand for British English - though it is something of a rareity here so it's obviously a selling point.

Another really good real selling point is a good EFL qualification (like a DELTA or CELTA) and experience teaching English in your own country to international students. You'll be seen as less of a tourist/makeshift teacher then and more of a professional.

Private lessons are different depending on what the client wants. If they want conversation practice you're looking at no more than 1,400yen (about £7) an hour. If you're actually going to teach something then it's more like 2,000 to 3,000 yen an hour (£10 - £15) an hour and if you want to teach business English (at the sacrifice of your sanity) then you can charge a massive 10,000 yen an hour (£50).

Hope this helps - let me know how you get on.