Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ethical question

edited September 2008 in Buddhism Basics
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. Is it unethical to hope someone's relationship breaks up if you believe the relationship is bad for them, say if you think their partner might be abusive or violent?

Comments

• edited August 2008
    There is nothing unethical about wishing for someone great happiness. The loss of a relationship has little bearing on your wish for one's happiness. Hoping for a break-up so that peace can be restored for your friend makes not for an unethical situation. It would be unethical if you were acting solely in your own self interest.

Go by the credo, "Do no harm."
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2008
    I don't know. Maybe, but probably not.
  • edited August 2008
    Windwalker wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. Is it unethical to hope someone's relationship breaks up if you believe the relationship is bad for them, say if you think their partner might be abusive or violent?

Not at all. Thoughts in themselves are not unethical. Now, if you were purposely trying to sabotage the relationship, it would get a bit trickier.

But certainly wanting people to be free of abuse and violence is not unethical.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2008
    I would beg to differ, KoB. Thoughts are the mothers of action. Therefore unethical actions are first conceived of as thought, unethical thought. Not all thoughts result in action, but that doesn't mean they can't be unethical all the same.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2008
    I would most strongly agree with our brother Palzang. Indeed, the Dhammapada kicks off with this very message.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Hi there, brother Simon. How was your summer? How is married life?

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Hi Pally.

Good to be back. Summer has been a lesson in the First Noble Truth and I may share some of the troubles in due course. Losing my computers was part of the experience and I am grateful to my stepson for the loan of his laptop to be able to return.

Married life is a joy-filled continuation of the couple of years we have lived together. It is fun to wear a wedding ring again and to see it mirrored on Sarah's finger. It is a bit like having completed a noviciate and taken one's vows: the work remains the same but the context has changed and the public assertion of commitment (of refuge, even) empowers it all.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Well put. May your problems cease and your happiness increase!

Palzang