Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Next Frontier: College

edited October 2008 in General Banter
Well, high school is behind me now and I'm finally moved into my new college. The first week is over and I'm fairly confident in how I'll do my first semester.

In case some of you didn't catch it in my earlier posts, I'm participating in the Army ROTC at my school. I'm not "contracted" yet, but I will most likely do that after my first year is over so I can start receiving a scholarship and all the other perks. Please understand that any of the benefits I might receive from doing this program are an afterthought. I would be doing this even if they didn't give me anything.

Anyway, the physical training for the program starts next week and I'll be getting fitted for a combat uniform as well. I also signed up for a group called Pershing Rifles. I'll get to learn how to do color guard, funeral duty, and how to spin the rifle all fancily.

When I'm not doing any of the above, I actually do have school. I'm majoring in History right now and so far the classes aren't too bad. The only one that I don't look forward to is my English Composition class, where we are studying....post-modernism. :(

I don't think I have ever read something more vapid and empty than what passes for post-modernist writings. A lot of big words, no clarity, and no sense of a moral compass. My favorite. Has anyone else been tortured with this?

Other than that, things are going well.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    Hey, congratulations KoB!

I loved college!

Not all postmodern literature is bad. Vonnegut and Murakami are two of my favourite authors. And you'd probably like Catch 22.
  • edited September 2008
    Post-modernism is a detriment to human intellect. I feel your pains, though most of my college is a very anti-post modernist, save for our English department. Thankfully, I don't have to take any English courses.

Where do you attend university? I attend Case Western Reserve; since you're from Ohio, I believe that you may know of it.
  • edited September 2008
    GoldRishi wrote: »
    Post-modernism is a detriment to human intellect. I feel your pains, though most of my college is a very anti-post modernist, save for our English department. Thankfully, I don't have to take any English courses.

Where do you attend university? I attend Case Western Reserve; since you're from Ohio, I believe that you may know of it.

Oh yes, I'm familiar with it. I got to Akron.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2008
    KoB,

I truly sympathise if you have lame-brain teachers who imagine that you can study 'postmodernism' as part of a literature course. By its nature, it cannot exist without a 'modernism' after which to come. In literature, I suppose the 'modernist' would be Henry James with Beckett as the post-m. As Derrida has pointed out, we cannot escape from the whole context ans weight of our cultural history, however much we attempt to deconstruct.

I suggest that you become an expert on something obscure, like the Metaphysical Poets (nothing to do with philosophical metaphysics), and then use your arcane knowledge to expose the teachers' monocular and simplistic approach.
  • edited September 2008
    Well, I am a simple person. I'm a history major. I like facts; who killed who and who did what? I don't mind philosophy and literature, but it needs to be clear. I don't think it's too much to ask for these goofy professors and writers to simply say what they mean.
  • edited September 2008
    Oh dear KOB - say what they mean? Better include most of the human race in that!

I was lucky - in the dim and distant past when I did Drama and English at Uni we only had to study real literature like Shakespeare and the Restoration dramas. Although a lot further down the line I find myself able to read most things and get something out of it ..... just a devourer of books, no taste and hardly any discrimination really.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2008
    KoB,

I do love US irony! History about facts? Just too funny.:lol::lol::lol:
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Simon, let's add this to it, he's looking forward to FUNERAL DETAIL. KoB, I consider it an honor that I was allowed to give final honors to someone who served their nation, but funeral duty is one of the most boring duties I've ever had, right next to interior guard.

Oh, you do realize that the commitment to ROTC is a 13 to life commitment, right?
  • edited September 2008
    Ah, Knight, I have a friend that goes to Akron.

Don't talk to her much anymore.
  • edited September 2008
    bushinoki wrote: »
    Simon, let's add this to it, he's looking forward to FUNERAL DETAIL. KoB, I consider it an honor that I was allowed to give final honors to someone who served their nation, but funeral duty is one of the most boring duties I've ever had, right next to interior guard.

Oh, you do realize that the commitment to ROTC is a 13 to life commitment, right?

If I go into active duty, which is the most likely, the commitment is 6-8 years. But I'm very likely going to make a career out of it anyway.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2008
    Just my two cents - or rather to quote from a certain professor in a certain movie, as is the view I hold now...

A quote from the movie Waking Life! :)http://strivinglife.com/words/post/Waking-Life-Chapter-3---Life-Lessons.aspx
    I've read the postmodernists with some interest, even admiration. But when I read them, I always have this awful nagging feeling that something absolutely essential is getting left out. The more that you talk about a person as a social construction or as a confluence of forces or as fragmented or marginalized, what you do is you open up a whole new world of excuses.

There's a second part of his argument for existentialism, but I think that's all I should quote. I must admit I used to look at Baudrillard with some interest and acknowledged him as an influence, but later things I came across like existentialism kinda knocked pomo out of the way.