Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discuss: Buddhism is the unbiased study of reality

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited September 2008 in Buddhism Basics
"Buddhism is the unbiased study of reality"

Agree? Disagree? Discuss :)

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2008
    Brian,
    Brian wrote: »

Ultimately, from Buddhism's point of view, I would say yes; especially considering that at one point, the Buddha declares that, "Reality, monks, is a name for Nibbana" (SN 4.195). I think that it is more correct to say, however, that Buddhism is the unbiased study of our perceptions (or impressions) about reality (and not necessarily the study of reality in and of itself) in an effect to remove the suffering that faulty perceptions can create, which then leads to an experience of reality (i.e. nibbana). I think it is quite similar to Stoicism in this regard. I am not sure if Buddhism achieves its goal, but I think it gets as close as any other philosophy in human history has thus far.

Jason
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited August 2008
    I'm trying to distill this down into a "soundbyte" that makes a clear point to someone unfamiliar with Buddhism. I thought long and hard about the perception part. We have only our senses and minds to explore reality with, and I thought.. "well hey, Buddhism is simply the science of exploring this reality with what we are ABLE to explore it with." I often wonder what other religions would be like if we were telepathic, for example (including Buddhism). As it stands, we have what we have, and this is all we are able to use to explore the existence we have.

PS: Hello, my friend. When are we gonna run into each other again? :)
    edited August 2008
    I see, well I guess that would work as long as you are prepared to elaborate further when skeptics or smart-asses such as myself bring up the perception part.

P.S. Hello! Perhaps we will run into each other sometime in between October 26 and November 8.

P.S.S. Did you get a new cell number? You never return my texts anymore.
    edited August 2008
    P.S.S. No, i still have it. Sometimes I just ignore my phone. There is no excuse other than I'm a jerk :(

Just know that I miss you and love you.
  • edited September 2008
    I like that Brian.

I often say something about Buddhism (well, Zen Buddhism, I never have to explain any of the other kinds!) being about studying/ investigating/ understanding the mind. But I worry that it sounds like I'm saying "Buddhism is Oriental psychology," which I don't like. I still haven't come up with a good, quick description for newcomers... working on it.
  • edited September 2008
    Brian wrote: »

Hmmm........... can anyone truly analyze anything without their own personnal biases attached. Or may we better say a study of reality with biases in check.
    edited September 2008
    Buddhism is the attempt at unbiased study of reality ;)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2008
    I'm not sure that I would agree with you, Brian.

Buddhism is, to my mind, a structured approach to ending the suffering and stress that afflict us as a result of being alive. Any study of reality is secondary to that outcome.

Now, if you were to say that scientific method is an unbiased attempt to examine reality rather than impressions of reality......
    edited September 2008
    Simon,
    Buddhism is, to my mind, a structured approach to ending the suffering and stress that afflict us as a result of being alive. Any study of reality is secondary to that outcome.

Perhaps, but one could just as easily counter that it is the structured approach to studying the realities of being alive in the form of impermanence (anicca), unsatisfactoriness (dukkha) and not-self (anatta) that leads to the end of suffering and stress.

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Elohim wrote: »
    Simon,

Perhaps, but one could just as easily counter that it is the structured approach to studying the realities of being alive in the form of impermanence (anicca), unsatisfactoriness (dukkha) and not-self (anatta) that leads to the end of suffering and stress.

Jason

I think we agree in essence, Jason.