Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Book Review: Razor Wire Dharma

edited September 2008 in Arts & Writings
“Razor Wire Dharma” written by Calvin Malone
Published 2008 by Wisdom Publications

“When we take the time to know people around us, it becomes easier to extend compassion and loving-kindness to them. Those who are in prison and seem different are simply people who need the same kindness everyone else is seeking. No matter what they did, who they are, what they look like, or how they act, like all of us, they want to be happy.”

When you think of a prisoner, what vision does this bring about in your mind? Many people envision a “hardened criminal”, someone who “should be locked behind bars, and have the keys tossed away”. They may also think this same person cannot change, and will not change. This book is a perfect “wake up call” for those with unsafe assumptions, especially to the one’s that believe prison is the be all end all for a “criminal”.

Calvin Malone has risen so high above the prison system, I’m surprised he’s not been tried for escaping, because he is truly free. This book is a testament to his freedom. With wit and candor like that of and old Zen Master, Calvin not only awakens to his inner Buddha but helps other to realize their potential as well. Regardless of color, sex or the charge that got them in prison, Calvin compassionately approaches each person he encounters like an old friend.

It takes alot for a man in prison to do such great work. There are tests of a persons faith around every corner. From cellmates who steal from you, a person down the tier who hates you because of the color of your skin or someone across the mess hall who’s staring you down for no reason other than the fact they are angry at the world. Calvin approaches each situation in a similar manner, with loving-kindness he tries to get to the heart of the issues facing him, regardless of what may or may not happen. He knows in his heart he is doing the right thing by trying his best to diffuse the predicament at hand, not only for himself, but for all involved.

Calvin’s approach to telling his own story pulls no punches, and speaks in a way that demystifies what some might call “the smoke and mirrors” of Buddhism. His story is a practical approach, one that even someone facing the worst possible conditions can do and understand. And that is to love and care for each human being as you would yourself. To look at each and everyday as a gift and to treat it as such. One of my favorite chapters is the one titled “Apple” in which he talks about a really bad day, and when he hits the mess hall line he is given an apple. “Breathing in I smelled the apple, breathing out the universe. Everything there is or ever was was contained in this apple.” The clarity this man sees with is absolutely amazing and should serve as a reminder to us all, that we can change and put behind us all the excess crap we carry and just be, for this moment.

I’ve read many Dharma books, and have come away with knowledge and wisdom from each one. I felt like this one really stood out for me. Calvin Malone’s bravery, grace and selflessness is so inspiring I could not help but smile as I flipped each page. If I were to recommend one book that stands out from the endless sea of Dharma books, one that will not only make you smile but will also tug a bit at your heart strings, than I would tell you to read “Razor Wire Dharma”.

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the review and recommendation, LFA.

This book sounds like something I'm really going to like and I have a feeling it's also going to be really useful to me. I have a great interest in the Dhamma in prisons. It's the ideal place to find, study, practice and develop the Dhamma, isn't it?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Of course, when you examine it, we're all in prison, the prison of samsara, and we're all enslaved by our addiction to it.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2008
    It is one of the saddest aspects of 'ordinary' thinking that consigns those we deem criminal to the rubbish bins we call prisons. It is neither a Buddhist nor a Christian mindset because, as Palzang points out, we are all in 'prison', whatever language you care to use. We imprison ourselves in judgmental minds.

At present, in the UK, we have a particularly nasty example where a convicted criminal, now on the 'sex offenders' register' is being hounded by the media and appears to go in fear of his life. No compassion is being extended to him, no help, no shelter, only the baying of hounds at his heels.

There was a time when, once a convicted person had completed the sentence handed down to them, they were seen as having competed the reconciliation that society demanded of them. Not so today and the smallest slip, however far in the person's past, is never to be forgotten or forgiven. Just look at the way a political candidate's life is pulled apart.

Do we truly believe that there are any people in this world who are spotless? Even our friend the Dalai Lama admits to having so damaged one of his brothers that he arried the scars on his face.

Personally, I would rather put my trust in someone who acknowledges their weakness and their faults - the 'wounded healer' concept. It is just too easy to extend faux compassion to 'nice' people.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    You're absolutely right, Simon. People enjoy tearing apart others because it makes them feel superior, even though they know deep down they're not. We have a teaching that we use to counter such an attitude, namely that whenever we read about someone doing some horrible crime, we contemplate that we have done even worse in the past, so who are we to condemn them? Out of such a contemplation we can give rise to compassion for both the victim and the perpetrator. Both are involved in a karmic dance that lasts for many lifetimes with first one being victim and then the other, and that is cause for compassion.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2008
    I think that's a wonderful teaching and practice, Palzang. I'm going to use it too. Thanks!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Great, Boo!

BTW, I'm just checking in on the road. I'm in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, in the process of moving myself to Maryland. First chance I've had to check my email!

Palzang