Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Newbuddhist.com is 5 today!

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited November 2008 in Arts & Writings
Just thought I'd mention that our little community on the web turned 5 years old on September 10th :)

I love you all. Thank you for being with... Continue reading

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Some Newbuddhist.com trivia:
    • Of course, I am user number 1, but did you know that our next user was -animal- who designed the original "look" of newbuddhist? Some of his original design decisions are still with us today!
    • Now, while -animal- was a techie, our first real member was my dear friend mondi - and this was before he was a dear friend of mine! I met Mondi for the first time in "real life" in June of 2004. But in December of 2003, he was posting here. He is a brother to me now, and I consider him part of my family.
    • The next few members were people who knew me from my other community, but the first "stranger" who ever signed up to this forum (stranger to me, anyway) was a man named "Alkiave" and he used to send me awesome pictures of Zen temples in Japan.
    • Our dear "forum tugboat", Federica, without whom this site would have ceased to exist a few years ago when my life fell apart for a while, signed up in March of 2005! This was during a surge of new members. I don't know where they all came from, but 2005 was a huge growth spurt for our community.
    • NewBuddhists I've met in real life, not including my friends from my previous community: Jerbear and FiveAngels
    • I met Jason in MIDDLE SCHOOL and was friends with him throughout high school. After we graduated, we lost touch until 2003 - right when I started this site. We ran into each other at .. you guessed it - a buddhist temple! Synchronicity? Now we are very dear friends again :)

Tell us your Newbuddhist fun facts and stories :)
  • edited September 2008
    I joined in 2006 entirely due to Federica who is family to me and at the time was living just down the road in France. I miss her dreadfully now she has moved back to the UK.

She introduced me to Buddhism and I have taken an interest ever since.

I was quite active on the board until my life fell apart due to mental health problems and people who took advantage of that situation. But I got better and came back, as did a lot of other people at the same time. There seem to be tides that operate in these things - in and out, in and out.

But it is good to be back and Happy Birthday NewBuddhist.com
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2008
    I joined in 2005 when I was in Mongolia (as in Outer Mongolia). Now I'm about to move again - from Sedona to Poolesville, Maryland. I'll miss the desert, but I've had enough of it for a while. A little civilization will be good. Poolesville, though, is sort of on the fringes of civilization. As my teacher described it, it has everything you need and nothing you want! But it is close enough to civilization that I can get there easily.

The only new Buddhist I've met in person is Comically Insane. He lives in Las Vegas, and he came to a talk I gave on Mongolia there. We went to a Cheesecake Factory (which neither of us need!) and had a nice conversation after the talk. It would be nice to meet others as well. Anybody in or near Maryland?

Best wishes to New Buddhist and especially to you, Brian. The history of New Buddhist is also the history of you and your struggles to come to grips with the pain of samsara, and both are a blessing to us all!

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2008
    I think I'm from the Class of '05 and I seem to have posted raher regularly (LOL).

I came here after much unpleasant experience with bulletin boards over a number of years - although not all the boards were 'difficult' I had hosted and moderated boards, and had begun to despir of finding a good place.

Thank you, Brian, Fede and all those here who have given hope back that civilised discussion, information and, even, heated debate can arise on the Net without unpleasantness.
  • edited September 2008
    Happy Birthday, newbuddhist and thanks to the staff for hosting this friendly and interesting site.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2008
    Brian,
    Brian wrote: »
    • I met Elohim in MIDDLE SCHOOL and was friends with him throughout high school. After we graduated, we lost touch until 2003 - right when I started this site. We ran into each other at .. you guessed it - a buddhist temple! Synchronicity? Now we are very dear friends again :)

Um, I don't know how to tell you this, but I actually didn't move to Warren until after middle school (in fact, I attended the same school, Burton International, from first to eighth grade), and we met through a mutual friend whom I in turn met and befriended during my freshman or sophomore year. :p

The rest is true, though.

Jason
    edited September 2008
    Wow memory is a funny thing. I swore I met you when i was in 8th grade. You definitely stood out from the crowd. :p

(For the record, in high school, Elohim had extremely long, straight black hair - he was such a goth kid before the world had ever heard of goth kids! :p )
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2008
    Brian wrote: »
    (For the record, in high school, Elohim had extremely long, straight black hair - he was such a goth kid before the world had ever heard of goth kids! :p )

And the best was, I didn't even have to dye my hair black; I guess it was angst by nature. Nobody would probably believe it, though, by looking at me today.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Happy 5th birthday to the best Buddhist forum in the world!!

I became a member here in 2006, and despite throwing a childish hissy fit and threatening to leave when I first arrived, you still offered me the hand of friendship and the benefit of the doubt. I've done the majority of my growing up right here with you all over the last two years and although the time has flown, I feel like we've been together for decades. :)

Thanks to all those who keep this site up and running and my deepest gratitude to you, Brian, for creating this wonderful place that has seen me through the darkness and danced with me in the light.
  • edited September 2008
    Glad to see the board's back up. I got the message that the domain name had expired yesterday so I was a bit concerned.

There's space to breathe here, that's what I like about it. You can say what you think, ask what you want and just be yourself.

Nobody hiding behind false piety. No one-up-manship. No over-mighty, heavy-handed mods requiring obedience. And nobody telling you to shut up and find a qualified teacher. Like on... er... elsewhere:lol:

I'm still a newbie.

Regards
    Kris
  • edited September 2008
    srivijaya wrote: »
    Nobody hiding behind false piety. No one-up-manship. No over-mighty, heavy-handed mods requiring obedience. And nobody telling you to shut up and find a qualified teacher. Like on... er... elsewhere:lol:

Regards
    Kris

Oh dear me yes, I wonder where you could be talking about!

I do so find that Bhudda-r than-thou attitude so unhelpful.
    edited September 2008
    hahah yeah funny story - when I said five years, I should have remembered that the name also expired on that day and I... kinda... forgot to renew it... heheh :o

woopsie! :lol:
  • edited September 2008
    Happy B-Day NewBuddhist.com!

A big thanks for being here when I had so many questions a couple years back, it really helped!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2008
    I joined in I think... 2005 too? :) Seems like such a long time already! :)

NewBuddhist rocks!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2008
    Hya guys, sorry...been on holiday. Did I miss anything.....? :crazy:

I love this website. I couldn't be prouder to be a part of it. It has taught me more than "mere Buddhism". It has taught me about the lasting and endearing value of Love, friendship and kindness. It has taught me that whilst everything may be impermanent, some things are less impermanent than others. A constancy in friendship is a precious thing, and we must preserve it and value it.
    We all feel right at home here.
    I really, truly do view this place as a virtual home, complete with kitchen, bedrooms, a private place to go, a long and wide verandah with umpteen rocking chairs, cake, tea, a water cooler and a wonderful, green, lush and plentiful garden.
    I in turn would like to give a deep and heartfelt thanks to Brian for showing the faith he had in me to ask me to become a moderator. Anyone viewing my frantic and constant correspondence with him would surely laugh to see the mistakes I made, with gusto! What a jerky I was! Still am, but I have to also thank all of you for the kindness, support and patience you have had, and shown me.

Knitwitch - thank you.

What a great bunch of Buddha-folk we are.

Brian, could we have a group-hug emoticon? :D
  • edited October 2008
    With hands palm to palm...
    It's been quite a while since i last visited...the calender tells me about 3 weeks after I last posted here...I underwent a coronary triple bypass....so....no posting for a while. But y'know....I am feeling better and better every day, getting my strength back...and looking forward to learning from each and every one of you!
    Happy Birthday newbuddhist.com and hope there will be many more...of everything.
  • edited November 2008
    And on that note I am going to put the kettle on, make sure the sun is still shining on the verandah and serve up the birthday cake that I made for New Buddhist Forum.

Grab a rocking chair everyone and get stuck into your favourite hot drink and we'll all blow out the five candles together. :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2008
    I hope you remembered to top it off with a sprinkling of mixed nuts! :p

Palzang
  • edited November 2008
    SIZE]
    Palzang wrote: »
    I hope you remembered to top it off with a sprinkling of mixed nuts! :p

Palzang
    Well to be honest I thought we had enough of those already .... :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2008
    Well, yeah, the cake would be symbolic of that. We could eat it and then dedicate the eating of it to all those poor confused sentient beings out there! Of course, the eating will also be symbolic as I doubt if you can send us a piece via email...

Palzang
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited November 2008
    also class of '05.

Boo, sorry for being the one who put you in the state of threatening to leave and never come back.

I really appreciate the welcome you guys have shown me. Considering that KoB and I are the only two active conservatives on the forum, you show a tolerance and willingness to debate I don't find on a lot of other forums I visit. Actually, I quit visiting most of them.
  • edited November 2008
    Hey - I'm not even a Buddhist and I am still made to feel welcome by the family on here - as you said, unlike on other sites, to which I no longer go.

Big cheers for New Buddhist ... maybe I'll make a Cherry Pavlova next, instead of the cake?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2008
    bushinoki wrote: »
    also class of '05.

Boo, sorry for being the one who put you in the state of threatening to leave and never come back.

I really appreciate the welcome you guys have shown me. Considering that KoB and I are the only two active conservatives on the forum, you show a tolerance and willingness to debate I don't find on a lot of other forums I visit. Actually, I quit visiting most of them.
    Oh no, Bushi, it wasn't you who put me into that state. It was an argument I was having with someone else and truth be told it was my own attachment to my position and the threat to that attachment that made me want to run away. My first big lesson on here, and a good one it was, too.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited November 2008
    Heh, could have sworn it was me. We disagreed on just about everything back in the day.

I've picked up a little more compassion since I've joined the Army, that's for sure. Seen a few people's lives ruined just because they signed up for something they couldn't handle. Several of them even had the right motivations to be here, they just couldn't lay off the drug habits or alcohol.