Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Turning thirty.

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited September 2008 in General Banter
My thirtieth birthday began the night before with the discovery that our hot water heater was leaking; our living room carpet was soaked, and instead of heading out to the beach for a day of eating, relaxing and enjoying the great weather, I spent it replacing a ruptured pipe and cleaning up all the water. In between these activities, I struggled with many of the complex philosophical dilemmas that have plagued humankind for centuries. Turning thirty has given me a sense of urgency to find a deeper sense of meaning and purpose in the grand cosmic scheme of things, an urgency that I have always felt but which seems to have become more and more eminent with each passing year and the uneasy acceptance of my own mortality.

My ruminations began, as usual, with a few basic observations, e.g., I want to be happy; I want my life to have meaning, or at the very least, to benefit society in some way; I don't like the thought of dying, etc. Suffice it to say that I didn't come to any great epiphanies or revelations, but I did think myself into a pretty rotten mood. I guess sponging off a wet carpet isn't as conducive to finding a deeper sense of meaning and purpose in the grand cosmic scheme of things as it might seem. The next day was spent wondering if I was just wasting my time. Was working eight to nine hours a day for relatively little pay really the best use of the relatively short amount of time I'm allotted on this earth? If not, what else should I be doing?

Tuesday, however, had something better in store for me. While the first half of the day was spent working like the menial laborer I've become, finishing up cleaning the house after fate's wonderful birthday surprise and checking to see if anybody bothered to send me any birthday greetings, the second half was spent in the throes of mindless self-indulgence at the Hawthorne Theater. Annie's birthday gift to me, among other things, was a ticket to see Finntroll. For one night I said to hell with everything, I drank cheap beer and threw myself into the front of the crowd reveling in Finntroll's punishing assult of Finnish folk metal. Today, I'm back to the usual brooding, but at least for one night I was raging like a troll hungry for retribution.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2008
    Happy Birthday! You old dog you! :p
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2008
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JASON!!!

(Don't worry. The older you get the better it gets. If you want it to, that is. :))
  • edited September 2008
    Yes, you get older and stop worrying about being necessary because you realise that you aren't and that is the way it is meant to be!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2008
    Hah! Wait for, and roll on 40!

It's brill!

And 50's a real blast!

Come on young feller - catch up!! :D
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Happy belated birthday, J!

You are a blessing, so you need nort worry about making a difference. You already have. From here on, may the happy sailing continue under a mostly favorable breeze.

Sincerely,
    Nirvy

BTW

A few days ago I tried to peek in on NewBuddhist and to my dismay I found that the domain had expired. Whew, I thought a domain was like Eubacteria, Archaebacteria, or Eucarya -- but losing Newbuddhist was like more than that, more like losing all sanity and religion!

So good to see that the fifth NB anniversary didn't mark a death.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to go drink some cheap beer to celebrate your birthday.

Happy Birthday.

P.S. I'm just kidding, I'm not a big beer drinker.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited September 2008
    My birthday was yesterday. I turned 32. I went to the Greek Food Festival.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Happy Birthday, Comic.

I'm not going to go eat any Greek food though.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Happy birthday, Comic.

I'll have an ouzo, followed by dolmades and then join in with the plate smashing and the dancing. I loved the dancing when I was in Greece.I, who rarely dance, was just blown away by it and danced till dawn.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2008
    Happy Birthday, comic!

I had feta on my pizza tonight, in honor.