Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Strategies to help our website grow :)

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited November 2008 in NewBuddhist.com
Hello everyone.

Nirvana's post got me to thinking.

What can we do to give Newbuddhist a shot in the arm? One thing we can do is write more content for the blog up front. If we had 1-2 new blog posts (even short ones) a day, and started getting the word out and linking to other like-minded bloggers, that would seriously help. Also, get the word on on various social networks like Facebook and Twitter. There's a Newbuddhist Myspace page, but I think I'm gonna make a Facebook one. I think I'll make newbuddhist twitter account as well. There are several other buddhists who use twitter, and networking with them can't be a bad thing.

If you're interested in writing brief, interesting content for the blog, let me know!

-B

Comments

• edited September 2008
    I have found that 'quiet advertising' works pretty well. For the members here that post elsewhere...putting the website URL in their signature. If people like you, and what you have to say, they will follow the link.
  • edited September 2008
    I've been a few more "popular" web sites - they may get more posts but they also get a lot of "Buddha-er than thou" and sheer spitefulness that I find totally unacceptable from a group of people who are supposed to be dedicated to ending suffering

What we have here is very precious - a few people who care.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited September 2008
    Hey, Brian! Thanks for your response to my rambling post.

I just think that there has to be more activity on this board. In order to take the time to write a thoughtful post, most people will want an active reading and commenting community.
    I know I have been a bit intense at times, but I do strive to remember that this is primarily an online sangha and that the only appropriate attitude to convey on it is one of respect for others' ideas and appreciation of their offerings, no matter how different or puzzling they may seem to us at times.

I believe that with those basic guidelines of restraint and civility anything that you do is worth a try.

Thanks.
  • edited September 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    I've been a few more "popular" web sites - they may get more posts but they also get a lot of "Buddha-er than thou" and sheer spitefulness that I find totally unacceptable from a group of people who are supposed to be dedicated to ending suffering

What we have here is very precious - a few people who care.

C'est vrai!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2008
    More isn't always better, nor is more chatter better than silence.

True, it has been a while since we had an influx of new members but where's the problem?
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2008
    Besides the text links for forum signatures, I think some nice banners (unique ones perhaps?) could help those of us running our own sites and blogs give NB a more prominent feature on our sidelinks. :) Could we use the lotus banner as it appears on the top of the site now?

In the past, whenever I felt like I had something to say, I just posted on NB. Nowadays, with my own blog (which has become inactive for quite some time now, heh) my first outlet for expression has become that, since I have been reading and writing more and more on other topics (e.g. world history) and non-Buddhist philosophies. Second, for anything sounding commercial it'll be on Helium.com. Third, for all other experimental "beta" thinking much of it lies in the head.

But I think I should be writing more Buddhist-friendly stuff after my blog gets its revamp in purpose and style, after my 'A' Levels. Maybe then, I will repost a modest essay or two on NB. :) NB remains my only sangha, I'd hate to see it die of inactivity.
    edited October 2008
    In fact, I think I like the "Buddhists don't worship the fat guy" slogan that pretty much appears on NB Cafepress merchandise. :) Almost forgot about that - maybe that could come as a banner.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2008
    Well I discovered a major problem today: Our registration system was broken and nobody could register for the site.

That might explain why our last new user was in April of 2008 :wtf:

I fixed it. Perhaps we'll get some new blood in here soon :(
    edited October 2008
    Gasp! The horror!

Whew, luckily Brian found out that the abbot was asleep and poked him awake. Otherwise, we would have been wondering what happened to all the people wanting to be ordinated into the sangha. :p
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2008
    ajani_mgo wrote: »
    Gasp! The horror!

Whew, luckily Brian found out that the abbot was asleep and poked him awake. Otherwise, we would have been wondering what happened to all the people wanting to be ordinated into the sangha. :p

Not the Abbot - it was Brother Doorkeeper! He has now been sent to sweep up the leaves.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited October 2008
    I don't know why I posted to this thread....

BodyOfAGod_Fullpic_1.gif
  • edited November 2008
    Let us know if you create a FB page.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited November 2008
    Forums were set to show threads from the last 100 days. I bumped it up to threads from the last year, so you should see more threads when casually perusing the forums now. :)
  • edited November 2008
    recently i have discovered HUMOR.. ya.. i no everyone is sayin.. what the heck is meant by that??
    but i use to take life so so seriously.. including myself..
    i have honed myself to a fine instrument of "keeping my days light, airy, smiley, and definetly gifting it to everyone i meet daily" it just comes natural now.
    relationships to me should be commited and responsible and respectful.. but definetly not serious.
    LIFE IS JUST EASIER THAT WAY.. and the karma is incredible..
    i was thinking a thread or a place where we could share funny stories, or a line or two.. buddhist related of course.. would be beneficial to the site.
    there are a few ppl here on this site.. that have a great sense of humor
    they keep things light!

maybe enLIGHTENED.. isnt that far off..
    wink wink!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2008
    OK, ya want humor? Go over to our friends at the Worst Horse (home of the "Dharma-Burger") and check out this video.

Palzang
  • edited November 2008
    teeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeee
    im over at the neighbours house having a burger..
    thanks for the point of finger palzang..
    this visit may be an over nighter..

link to link.. ya lots of stuff to wander about in..
    thanks again