Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Okay, Palzang. Gonna do it now

edited October 2008 in Buddhism Basics
Palzang,

A few months ago I asked about any centers in the DC area that could help a newbie learn. You recommended KPC and a few others. KPC is the closest one to me here in Germantown, MD.

Here is my question for you. Would the fact that I am in the military preclude me from attending the teachings and learning more? I really want to learn and be more at peace with myself. I'm just not sure if being in the military, albeit as a medic, and the teachings of the Buddha are compatible, or is it a contradiction?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2008
    The temple I attend is frequented by a person who works in admin, at an abbatoir.

This is a constant source of torment for her. But the Monks and Nuns have said or done nothing whatsoever to ostracise her or make her feel an outsider, whilst at the same time, discussing the Eightfold Path with her.
    But never in any manner to create an unwelcome atmosphere for her......

The struggle is in her head, and for her to come to terms with.
  • edited October 2008
    Federica, thank you for those words. You have helped immensely!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2008
    No, of course being in the military would have nothing to do with your coming to KPC, woody. Military people are just sentient beings like the rest of us - and more likely to be aware of suffering as they often deal with it first hand. If they couldn't come to teachings, then I guess I'd be excluded as well, being the old Cold Warrior that I am.

You may want to come next Thursday night as Jetsunma has been giving teachings especially for newcomers on that night. Starts at 6:30 PM. It will be either a live teaching from Jetsunma or a video. If you can't make it Thursday, then Sundays at 2:00 are also teachings, or 10:00 in the morning if you want to attend the meditation instruction class. Lunch happens about 12:30-1:00. It's often free as local restaurants donate it sometimes.

I'll PM you my phone number so you can call me if you're coming and I'll be there to greet you. I'm about to reenter the scary world of commuter jobs today, but I should be home in time!

Palzang
  • edited October 2008
    Thank you so much, Palzang! I will definitely be there on Thursday and I look forward to meeting you and everyone else!

I just love commuting around here! Living in Germantown and then working in DC makes for fun commutes. LOL
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2008
    Funny, I always thought of commuting as hell realm karma!

Palzang
  • edited October 2008
    Nahhh. It's all in how you look at it. I usually enjoy the ride home. Gives me time to unwind and sing my heart out with the music on the radio. LOL Now granted sometimes it is hell, but, for the most part it isn't too bad. LOL

Another question for you because I have never been to any type of teachings. Are there any protocols or rules that I need to know? I don't want to show up and be more clueless than I already am. LOL
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2008
    Yes, you must wear clothes...

Actually no, it's pretty basic. Take your shoes off when you go in the Dharma room, don't put the prayer books on the floor, just follow along with what everybody else does, which is basically saying a few prayers before the teaching and a few afterward. Pretty simple. If you screw up something, no biggie. You certainly won't be the first. Besides, I'll be there to keep you in line! With any luck Jetsunma will be there live. She was sick last weekend, but I saw her today and she said she was feeling much better, so keep your fingers crossed.

Palzang
  • edited October 2008
    Thank you so much, Palzang! I know we don't really know each other that well, but it is a relief that I won't be all alone. For some reason I am nervous. LOL Guess it's just new to me and I've been looking forward to it for a while. I will definitely be there.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2008
    woody31904 wrote: »
    Thank you so much, Palzang! I know we don't really know each other that well, but it is a relief that I won't be all alone.

I have it on very good authority that you were mother and daughter in a previous life....

Or was that Bush and Palin......? :D

Relax, woody..... A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet! ;)
  • edited October 2008
    LOL That would explain a lot.

Okay. I am relaxing beginning........now. And thank you for your advice as well, Federica. I appreciate it!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2008
    Hi, Woody.

I've never met Palzang in person but I have interacted here with him for a few years and I can say with all honesty that you're in very, very good hands. He's taught me more than he'll ever know and has helped me through some very trying times just by being here. You really have nothing to worry about and everything to be excited about. A whole new, wonderful world is going to be opening up for you in the coming weeks and I'm so happy for you. Community is...well, it's everything.

I've also had the great fortune to watch some of Jetsunma's teachings on the internet (there are some on YouTube) and they were wonderful. A great teacher in every way.

Have a wonderful time, Woody! And much peace and joy to you.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2008
    Hey, wait a minute - how can I teach you more than I know?! :winkc:

Well, Woody picked a good night to come. At the request of her students, Jetsunma has been recording the story of her life and how she came to be where she is, and Thursday was the first chapter of that. Pretty interesting and amazing stuff! Her childhood was, shall we say, a bit different than most of ours! Like she could see people's auras (which she thought everyone could do, so she didn't think it was so special until she found out other people couldn't), and sometimes she would also see the faces of previous incarnations of the person - human, animal and spirit - in the aura. That created some confusion for her as sometimes she would start a conversation with one of the other incarnations, totally baffling the person she was talking to! So she had to learn how to focus just on the current one. I never had that problem, personally!

She also told of her "googly-eyed monster" who would show up when things got especially bad at home (she grew up in an alcoholic, abusive family situation). He would always make her feel protected and safe. It was only much later that she realized that this "monster" was Mahakala, her own personal protector. The interesting thing is that she was never afraid of him, even though Mahakala is pretty horrific looking.

I'll leave Woody's take on the evening to Woody. I think it might have been a little overwhelming, what with all the colorful thangkas and statues and crystals everywhere, but hopefully it was a good experience for him.

Palzang
  • edited October 2008
    Well, it was definitely a bit overwhelming. But it was a good kind of overwhelming. I was just amazed by everything that I saw. That's probably the best word for it.

And I am extremely thankful that Palzang was there to show me around and introduce me to everyone. And the icing on the cake was Jetsunma's story of her life.

With that being said, I must admit that I felt happier and more at peace than I have in a long time. I was nervous when I arrived, but that faded. I think I was just nervous because I didn't want to make a faux pas. LOL But Palzang was there helping me along. He's a great tour guide, too.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2008
    And I don't charge much!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2008
    I'm so glad you had a good time, Woody. It sounds like you visited on quite a special day. Lucky you for getting to meet Palzang!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited October 2008
    I really don't mean to be stalking Boo on NB tonight, but Woody, let me ask the question I've been dying to ask:

Did you ask Palzang if you could rub his belly?
  • edited October 2008
    Ya know, I hadn't even thought of that one. LOL There were a lot of questions I had, but was just soaking everything in. Can't wait until Thursday again!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2008
    I should point out that you can watch the same videos we are on our website, www.tara.org. We also webcast the teachings when they are live.

Palzang
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited October 2008
    And woody, don't forget that you aren't alone in the struggle of balancing your job wiht your beliefs. Even worse, my primary MOS is combat arms. Like I said in another post, My new duty position isn't so much any more, but I still have to go out on a few missions, and might find myself in the position where lives are in my hands.